New 8K+ Owner - Visual Problem Difficulty Troubleshooting

For a test…
Have a look for your default.vrsettings, file should be in the “DRIVE:\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings”

Look for the line that reads “maxRecommendedResolution”: 4096
Change the 4096 to 8192.

Yes, I have tried this setting before…nothings changed. I have the same problem in Pimax Menu (this in space), so it has nothing to do with SteamVR?!

@twack3r Yes German, in Fulda…its 4 hours from Munich… My experience with shutter glasses was headache and the same feeling I have in VR. But the sight was clear.

1 Like

Have you set SteamVR’s maxRecommendedResolution setting? If not, this is probably the source of the blurriness.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/solved-maxrecommendedresolution-issue-problem-with-pimax-8k-on-iracing/27411/2?u=neal_white_iii

2 Likes

Ok, Fulda is a bit far.

What ‘feeling’ are you referring to that you experienced both with shutter glasses and VR?

1 Like

@neal_white_iii yes I have tried this before…nothing changed. this has only something to do with steamVR? Its the same for me in the Pimax Menu.

2 Likes

@twack3r Like I’m drunk and want to shut down my eyes.

1 Like

Ich probier das jetzt mal kurz auf Deutsch, damit in der Übersetzung nichts verloren geht:

Wenn Du sagst, es fühlt sich an als seist Du betrunken, meinst Du damit ein Gefühl des Schwindels? Oder, dass Du Dinge tatsächlich doppelt siehst? Denn wenn das so ist, dann solltest Du wirklich zügig zu einem Augenarzt gehen. Es kann sein, dass Deine Augen absolut in Ordnung sind, Du aber ein Thema mit Tiefenwahrnehmung hast und das kann eine Menge Gründe haben, auch neurologische.

Lass doch einfach mal einen Bekannten die 8K+ probieren und höre Dir an, was er/sie wahrnimmt.

Sorry for breaking the rules on English as the forum language, I just wanted to make sure nothing was lost in translation.

9 Likes

Yes, this is only for SteamVR. As mentioned in the link, it’s possible that you’re editing the wrong file (which can be in different locations) or that the setting has been cleared. Are you sure the line you added is still there? Unfortunately, this is a SteamVR issue and Pimax has limited options for fixing it.

This setting is the most likely source of the blurriness, otherwise it’s probably a hardware issue.

1 Like

@twack3r i will write you a PM.

2 Likes

No problem, I’ve done a Google translate, to allow others to follow along. In the future, you could post both version, so you aren’t “breaking the rules”. :slight_smile:

I’m going to try this briefly in German so that nothing gets lost in the translation:

When you say it feels like you’re drunk, do you mean a feeling of dizziness? Or that you actually see things twice? Because if that’s the case, then you should really go to an ophthalmologist quickly. It may be that your eyes are perfectly fine, but you have a subject with deep perception and there can be many reasons, including neurological ones.

Just have a friend try the 8K + and listen to what he / she perceives.

5 Likes

Only on a GearVR or such. Not on a VR headset powered by a PC, or perhaps even some of the standalone units.

The fact that you are having this problem even with just one eye open is… staggeringly unusual.

Only obvious thing I can think of is maybe the shipping carriers are severely throwing/dropping packages in your area? This seems like some soft of extreme physical damage having misaligned optical alignment.

But then, not having heard of that happening to one, much less two headsets in a row, normally I would suggest meeting a VR experienced friend in person.

Keep posting any information you can here, and people will try to help at least.

3 Likes

No worries as we can use Translate. In situations like this native communication is best where possible for clarity.

4 Likes

Hi cinemon, besides all the mentioned, have you tried getting one eye in focus by moving also up down? Sounds and looks a bit like looking to high or low or angeled at the lens from my experience. I took the velcroed cushion of the comfort kit, the head rest part made it difficult to get a good view on the lens for me ( forehead to large or what ever) It can just be pulled of and gives a bit more room for trying to get a good location in terms of eyes and lens. Angel and the hight also make a lot of diffrence for my perception.

1 Like

@MReis What does you mean with “velcroed cushion”?
How do you experience the 8K Plus?

1 Like

First, Pimax headsets are not easy to wear and even people who otherwise would have no difficulty to use another headset may have serious problems with Pimax. This is related to the design with canted lenses and displays and an unnatural way the eyes need to focus. You may just face that.

However, if you had problems on Quest, which is otherwise pretty easy going headset, I would like to make sure that:

1. You set up your Quest correctly - related both to your IPD and to position the headset on the face.
  2. You checked with someone else that your Quest did not presented the same problem for him.

If you can answer both points by yes, I would suggest consulting an ophthalmologist and specifically discuss the possible impact of VR tech.

8 Likes

What fov which this variable has effect to?

for loss of tracking, glass surfaces are generaly the problem (cover them)(screen, mirroir, window, etc )
for the rest: this is not normal.
anyone else have tried your 8k +?
if others do not have this feeling. then it comes from you or your way of putting on the helmet. sorry
otherwise try manual flash
and dont use steamvr beta

it still looks like a bad ipd setting or a bad position of the headphones(in my opinion)

1 Like

Another thing to be aware of if you have windows in your environment keep curtains closed as the infra red from sunlight can interfere with tracking as we learned in 2017 Immersed event in Toronto.

1 Like

DE
Das graue Polster, das kann man einfach abmachen, dann kommt man näher and das Display.
Die 8K ist Super, aber mit dem Comfort Kit kam ich nicht so gut zu recht, bzw hab ich das Polster gegen 6mm Polster getauscht. Wenn man auf die Pimax schräg draaufschaut also z. B. Stirn oder Wangen zu sehr oder wenig exponiert sind sitz das HMD ggf schlecht für eine gute Sicht. Am besten man versucht es dann wirklich ohne Polster und in der Hand haltend so zu kibbel bis es passt.
Es kann natürlich immer sein das ein Defekt oder ggf andere Probleme die Ursache sind, aber wenn es auch bei nur einem Auge auftritt… Ist zumindest ein Versuch wert.

EN
The gray upholstery can be easily removed, then you get closer to the display.
The 8K is great, but with the Comfort Kit I didn’t get along so well, or I exchanged the pad for 6mm pad. If you look at the Pimax diagonally, e.g. B. Forehead or cheeks are exposed too or little, the HMD may fit poorly for a good view. The best thing to do is to try to kibble without padding and hold it in your hand until it fits.
Of course it can always be that a defect or other problems are the cause, but if it also occurs with only one eye … Is at least worth a try.

3 Likes

This is bad brightness and blur when I use 259, but look better in 260 beta.

But my friend who use 2080ti , he told that 260 still blur although sampling at 500% and every fov get the same result.

And these are the the factor which make the headset to has more clarity. Try to test it to check that your headset is normal or not.

1. Try to change power hub.
    I notice from this issue
    "The headset lose connection every 10 seconds ", I ever found this issue on my friend pc, but not sure what happened. You should try to test by using the 9-axis and if found that the headset still have wrong orientation. I think it is about power source.

2. Try to decrease refresh rate to 72Hz, my friend tell that it has better clarity.

3. Try to compare between 259 and 260 version
    https://pitool.pimax.com/PiToolSetup_1.0.1.259.exe

The 259 has wrong brightness, if you use 260 and it not better, I think you still have the wrong brightness.

1. Try to use 144 version (he tell that this version has the most clarity, but image is not correct, fish eye distortion).
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oMcAxKmoGi52ce_QJcuJt_UX_l8esgRn/view

Will wait your feedback.

4 Likes