My First Impressions of the StarVR One - The Widest Human FOV VR Headset available!

I have an exciting video I will be posting tomorrow about the best games to play on this headset. I won’t reveal it now because I don’t wanna spoil it. Would rather you guys see me experiencing them :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Crispy very good post and thanks for the impressions man. pretty interesting. How would you compare the sense of speed in terms of how fast do you feel like you are driving, in the star VR one compared to any of the pimax headsets? Does the extra field of view in the star VR one add a significant amount of sense of speed when driving compared to the pimax? Please let me know.

3 Likes

Sounds good dmel hopefully you’ll showcase some of the racing Sims we’ve been talking about here.

3 Likes

One thing I haven’t seen any of you star VR owners talked about is movies. have any of you attempted to watch movies in the star VR one via the big screen app? How well do movies look and compare to the pimax headset.? watching movies via big screen is a big component in my decision to which headset I’ll be using moving forward. Particularly anime :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t say for sure whether or not the StarVr extra FOV adds a significant amount of sense of speed vs Pimax large FOV or not. I’m guessing no, if it was significant I would have noticed it more. I think you can tweak sense of speed better by selecting a high performance F1 car perhaps with unrealistic handling/cornering capabilities in one of the games versus spending thousands more on a headset. I also prefer to select open roofless cars, no sense having increased FOV if its wasted being confined by the car itself.

2 Likes

All the racing games I’ve played are confined by the car, but imo, the FOV is not wasted, since I can see both side mirrors without turning my head. That’s a huge improvement.

I do understand your point, since the ships I prefer in Elite D have as much cockpit glass as possible. I think I need to try out an F1 car. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Asseto Corsa with LA canyons mod using the black F1 open cockpit car is nuts, that’s the fastest sense of speed I’ve found. Just make sure you go faster than you think the car should be able to handle.

4 Likes

The problem here is that you are assuming that best resolution = best headset and that all other factors can be ignored.

It’s largely irrelevant to most of us as the StarVR is prototype/dev unit, not available to consumers. It does highlight how you can solve some of the issues Pimax are having, but no one anywhere is suggesting people rush out and buy a starVR over a pimax 8KX. If they do produce a consumer headset at some point then resolution and other considerations can be discussed then.

That being said, anyone considering buying an 8KX should be fully informed of the downsides to that choice aswell.

7 Likes

Well, like @Heliosurge noted, it’s just a software mechanism. The lenses don’t move. So it’s pretty much the same as a Pimax 4k, Rift-S, HP reverb G1 etc that also only have a software mechanism. The problem is that the lenses are too close together for me to get both eyes into the sweet spot, so one eye is always blurry. My eyes automatically ‘correct’ for that by looking cross-eyed, so they can still see ‘sharp’ through the sweetspot. But you can imagine why kind of eye strain that gives after half an hour of playing …

6 Likes

New video uploading now. Will post as soon as it’s ready!

2 Likes
6 Likes

Valve Index vs. StarVR One - Through the Lense Video Comparison. Premieres at 10:00am pacific time:

8 Likes

Cool thanks for the effort you made, much appreciated! And yes, as you mentioned in the video, with the ‘vr essentials’ mod pack, available for easy installation and download via wabbajack, the graphics and experience are INSANE on Star VR One, no question its the best headset for Skyrim. The only thing I didn’t like was the grey fog in the distance around the mountains but that is a fault of one of the mod settings not Star Vr One.

5 Likes

Hey nice! Cant wait to see that!

First thing is the colors that’s noticeable, but also the detail on the wall painting and the wall come out more (but that might just be the screenshot / lensshot) - but most off all the small lens of the Index.
I believe it would be hard going back for me once used to the larger FOV HMD’s, to such a “Keyhole” experience.

4 Likes

Nice review! I have the impression you’re more positive now about the StarVR than your initial impression (which seemed quite muted). Is it just that you tried more games or changed any settings or something like that?

5 Likes

Nice video. BTW, in the Oculus store you can download the ‘normal’ showdown demo, would also be interesting to compare that to the starVR version

3 Likes

Yeah, to be honest I felt kinda disappointed with the headset in the beginning. But I was in judging mode and didn’t allow myself to get fully immersed in the experience. Once I let go of my judgement of resolution, I started to really enjoy it and I found games that had an acceptable level of resolution for me.

I checked out my Index again and boy do I notice a small binocular FOV in comparison. It did not look so binocular prior to trying StarVR but nonetheless, I actually really like the clarity and resolution of the Index.

If going from Index to StarVR felt like a massive improvement in FOV. Going from StarVR to Index felt like a massive improvement in clarity. Nothing beats 150% SS on the Index.

Yeah, I was trying to download Showdown demo from epicgames website but they took it down. Do you have a link for it on Oculus?

Also I’m going to try resolution tweaks like maxRecommendedResolution to see if that improves the StarVR.

4 Likes

Hehe yeah I know what you mean, I feel the same way. Unfortunately that’s VR in 2020, we just can’t have it all in 1 headset :frowning:

2 Likes

This is why imho a blind test is best as you don’t have specs to influence pre preception.

2 Likes

How would you do a blind test with VR headsets lol?

3 Likes