My First Impressions of the StarVR One - The Widest Human FOV VR Headset available!

Beatsaber, I think VR TECH said it wasn’t working in 210 so I didn’t even try.

2 Likes

I have both the Star VR and the Pimax 5k XR. The colors and general quality of the screen seem a LOT better than the 5K XR. I would say the Star Vr wins in every category except for resolution and game compatibility (because its version of parallel projection mode,which they call ‘compatibility mode’ restricts the FOV to 110). The only time I want to use my Pimax XR instead of the Star VR is for games which require parallel projections, then I much prefer having the Pimax wide FOV versus the Star VR 110 FOV for those games. The FOV of the Star VR is essentially no black borders anywhere except for underneath your eyes. It does make a difference for me personally versus the Pimax. And don’t forget there is also zero distortion anywhere, unlike the Pimax.

Also, when I use the star vr, I never feel like ‘oh I need to take a break’ after like an hour. Its the only headset where I might actually forget I have a headset on. Perhaps it is the eye tracking combined with the comfort that causes me to have no fatigue, not sure. Some games, the resolution is a big issue, some games it looks absolutely fine and great.

8 Likes

Thanks. I find it really surprising that multiple StarVR users have exactly the same comment about the complete lack of black borders. Very impressive, hopefully this is where all VR is going.

3 Likes

dmel642…words cannot describe my gratitude, and how much I appreciate you taking the time to try out Assetto Corsa. Thank you VERY much!!!

As I feared, the game works perfectly according to you. I say “as I feared”, because now things are really complicated. I love AC so much. It’s my favorite racing game ever. The fact that you’re now telling me the game works perfectly with the starVR with no distortion and with the full 210º FOV is pleasantly surprising, but very frustrating. Your comments make me want to buy the StarVR ASAP JUST for Assetto Corsa!! I’m conflicted on what to do now.

I don’t own a Pimax yet, but I’m an 8K-X backer. I own an Oculus CV1. I haven’t used it in two years but when I did, I remember enjoying playing AC despite the limitations. A few questions please my friend if you don’t mind…

1)If I was fairly satisfied with playing AC on the Oculus CV1, would you say playing the game on the StarVR One is a significant improvement over that particular headset? Will it blow me away, after having used only the Oculus CV1 and no other headset since then?

2)Can you do me a big favor? Would you be so kind as to test out Iracing and see how well that game works with the StarVR One? Iracing, from what I’ve heard, also does NOT require Parallel Projection so I’m thinking it should work just as well as AC does. Please let me know.

If you can confirm that Iracing works perfectly with the StarVR One, then I will seriously have to weigh my options, and consider purchasing this damn headset LOL. Iracing and AC are the ONLY racing games I care about as far as VR goes. I would be totally satisfied playing only those two games for years and years to come. Project Cars 3 is coming soon and yes, it would be nice to be able to enjoy that game in the StarVR One as well.

Anyway looking forward to your reply\impressions and thanks again :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Actually the only thing really impressing me is the everywhere sweet spot, I still miss that. I wish pimax would consider a high quality lenses with an even larger sweet spot, since they can be swaped at home that would be a cool upgrade.

For me the large FOV is big enough, sure more won’t hurt but I guess would not at much for me at that level. And less resolution then the 8k Panels is a no go for me.

May be you should let the Pimax and the Star VR One alone in a bed for a night an see what comes out of it :wink:. 8K OLED ultra SweetSpot :grin:

Edit: don’t get me wrong, the Star is a damn impressive HMD - but being on the way to 8KX I judge it by “would I want to invest extra to upgrade to that?”

2 Likes

Save your money for a next gen gfx card - or a sim-rig :stuck_out_tongue: . Soon we will have an 8kx which will definately blow your mind in terms of resolution and fov in AC and iracing.

I have a cv1 and an 8k/5k+ and can tell you both pimax headsets are a massive upgrade in terms of blurriness and of course sde over the cv1 already. I do sim racing occasionally, too - just bought Automobilista2 and it is fun, too.

PC3 will feature the same engine as AM2 and PC2/1 so it will need PP on, which is a bummer for the Star-VR.

4 Likes

@NextGenVR nice review,

I had exact the same feeling when i had my star vr one…
Only for me i still can see the black borders left and right,and the vertical wasnt that great too for my face shape…

The clarity in the valve index is indeed way better.But the no distortion on the wide field off view was great on the star vr one,and ofcourse the oled blacks.

3 Likes

Nice review.

Word of advice for your new channel, I felt the timing in speech was much more comfortable at x1.25. You might want to speed up your speech a bit so viewers feel more comfortable to continue to listen.

I actually watched at x1.5, but I think x1.25 would be perfect for the wider audience.

3 Likes

I don’t think this has anything to do with one review being more honest than the other, but much more about our physical differences and the way our brains process information. We’re all different, some don’t see distortion, others do, some say 80 hz is as good as 120 hz, some see a lot difference. And then the same goes for colors. I must say I was a bit surprised that @NextGenVR said the StarVR oled colors were in his experience pretty close to the Index LCD ones. In my experience, the Pimax colors and Index are in the same ballpark, with the Index colors being a bit better. But the StarVR oled colors to me are really in a different ballpark. I find that Showdown demo so mind blowing also because of the beautiful colors. If I had to give a rating, I’d rate Pimax (5k+/artisan) colors as 4.5 (too washed out), Index as a 6 (just acceptable) and StarVR colors a 10 (best currently possible/all I ever need). I even felt they were better than my Vive Pro although I didn’t do any A/B.

But does that make Dmel’s experience more honest than mine or vice versa? I don’t think so. He sees what he sees, I see what I see.

Isn’t that what every single reviewer has also said? I think everybody said the clarity is somewhere between a Vive and Vive Pro/Odyssey.

7 Likes

It probably works with iRacing since it doesn’t require PP. If you have a Pimax I wouldn’t bother you will most likely regret it. I will try ACC later today and let you know but for me I liked to run it at 2 SS in pitool at 36 fps with Smart Smoothing. There’s no way it will look as good in StarVR. I don’t have iRacing.

1 Like

At least ACC does not need PP, I had about 58-60 FPS on the 8k+, playable, I can read everything in the Cockpit, distance gets pixilation but tuning the Graphics up starts pushing FPS down. 1.25 in Pitool. I got about 6-7 FPS more with GPU catalyst, but menue and FPSVR stuff gets jumpy, the game itself seems fine, just overlays behave strange (about 1.5 catalyst). Above that the game/tracking becomes jumpy.
How is that in the StarVR?

1 Like

If your IPD deviates too much from the average of 64, forget it. Also if the game has no native support, it’s just not going to look as impressive as is possible and since there’s currently not even 1 game with native support and also considering the steep $3200 price tag, I don’t think you should do it.

If you’re developing with the StarVR and can unlock the headset’s full potential, it might be worth it. But for gaming, you’re probably better off with the 8k-X (or the Index)

If the StarVR would have had an IPD mechanism and a handful of (AAA) games would have supported it, I would probably have kept it.

3 Likes

Well I would say that for about 70% of the games that will run in Star Vr one (i.e. don’t require parallel projections), Star Vr one would be my first choice to use out of all of the headsets. So if you like FOV and great colors, and comfort with no eyestrain (well I have 64 ipd so thats just for me) Star Vr one is the champion.

Rfactor 2 recently specifically added support for canted displays into their code, with a simple .ini setting you can enable it, no parallel projections required. Looks great in the Star Vr headset, in fact probably the best of all racing games I tried.

Dirt Rally 2.0 also can look fairly nice, I would say on the same level as Pimax 5k xr, (but added bonus of 210 fov with no distortions).

6 Likes

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. djonko, mr.uu and vrftw you guys make some interesting points and now that I think about it, you’re probably right…best to hold off until we see what the next batch of next-gen headsets have to offer. djonko you mentioned IPD, and I hadn’t thought of that. My IPD is 68. Is that too far out of the sweet spot for the StarVROne?

Would hate to get a StarVR One only to be unsatisfied with it due to the image being too blurry in AC and iracing. I guess we’ll wait and see what dmel has to say about iracing.

2 Likes

I have 69.3 and that’s way too high. Couldn’t get it sharp in both eyes and I would get a very bad eye strain very quickly. In fact if I remember correctly, @john2910 has 67 which already was too high to get it sharp in both eyes

3 Likes

Hi crispy…very interesting comments re RFactor2. Do you have Assetto Corsa 1? If so, can you test it out? How well does it look compared to rFatcor 2? Do you have Iracing? How does Iracing look compared to Rf2?

By the way, iracing is a subscription based service but can be signed up for like 15 bucks or something like that. You don’t get all the content but for testing out stuff you can play around with it for cheap.

2 Likes

Ahh interesting, thanks for letting me know

4 Likes

I do have AC 1 and I did test it with La Canyons mod and the Star VR one. I think Rfactor2 looks the best of all the racing games I tried, probably because they specifically supported canted displays in their code. Also, Rfactor 2 is a somewhat older game, which in my experience translates better into VR (talking about flatscreen games with VR support added in or modded in) because they aren’t trying to use all these new effects which result in undesirable effects in VR. Asseto corsa looks good but there is slight blurriness when looking at objects in the center far away. It might be possible via more tweaking to get rid of it, I’m not sure, I don’t want to mislead anyone. I used to have iracing but I didn’t like the graphics or anything about it really, and it was making me sick (before I got the star vr headset, never tried it with that) using my pimax so I cancelled my subscription.

Rfactor 2 is the best for the star vr one, no question in my opinion. But note than I am not a die hard simmer, more of a casual player who likes to drive as fast as possible for the feeling of speed in open track type of scenarios.

4 Likes

That’s surprising, because I thought the automatic IPD adjustment with the eye tracking was there to make sure that everyone got the perfect eye calibration. My understanding is that it was so different people at a location based entertainment center could easily get the headset adjusted for their IPD without fiddling. So it seems to have been designed specifically to accommodate a wide variety of IPDs. I assume you always lined up the headset by wiggling and adjusting placement on your head until the lines converged to green from red and you received an onscreen message stating your IPD, right? I know @NextGenVR was not doing this initially because he didn’t know how it was supposed to work.

3 Likes

@VR-TECH had a similar experience with his ipd being on the narrow side. Fixed lenses with soft ipd more often have limits as the hardware ipd of the lenses doesn’t move. This was a complaint Lucky Palmer has with the Rift S more or less is unusable for him.

3 Likes