MRTV HP Reverb G2 Preview

@Virtualmisterl
As far as I know wmr headsets do not do motion cancellation I know yawvr has tried implementing some things with there tracker but I haven’t heard any success stories. Maybe in the future?

1 Like

The G2 is said to have increased FoV over the G1 it likely only has around the Index FoV which is I believe around 112° Wide. If so that is a huge increase over the G1.

Pimax on Normal FoV is 140 wide. Small is 120 wide and Large 160 Wide.

1 Like

I know a user who has done it.
Also the og reverb can pick up the moving shell of the yawvr in the right conditions.
Not for large yaw movement but for smaller movements.
Although I’m not sure if the g2 will do this with its extra cameras

2 Likes

i dont know that exactly sorry,i never had used a wmr headset before…

2 Likes

When i get my g2 ill see if i can stick a tracker on it & use another for motion compensation.
Hopefully I can. If not no biggie. I still have the x coming at some point.

2 Likes

I think i want the G2 too brother… lol

2 Likes

Of course you do brother lol.
I’ve come close in the past to getting the original reverb.
The fact this has all the little improvements.
Plus the speakers & valve lenses even with less god rays was always making it appealing.
No lighthouse tracking is a shame but £525.
That made it a definite yes to me.

2 Likes

Yeah I may get one too and sell it if I don’t like it. It would have to be a good bump up image quality over the 8kx for me to use it though. Pimax is the most versatile headset on the market. Wide fov with 4 different settings eye tracking (DFR), hand tracking, light house ( motion cancellation), modular audio strap ( on ear, off ear), maybe wireless in the future.

4 Likes

very high chance will cancel 8KX and pre-order G2, seems pre-order webpage is down in UK.

2 Likes

Well I can‘t confirm that! I had Oculus Rift, have Vive with LH 1.0 and Pimax with LH 2.0.
You may be referring to WMR HMDs without BT build into the headset.
But with headsets starting from the Samsung OD+ these issues do not exist.
Only issue may be wrong lighting, which is figured out and fixed fast.
Apart of that I think that simmers do rely on external controls mostly anyways which makes „issues“ like gymnast controller angles even less likely.
In most (at least in my case in every case) this is a non existing issue.
If it is even better in the G2 I‘m sure issues will only show in very staged scenarios that nobody will experience at all in real action.

Honestly I found the finger tracking of my valve controllers not that „important“ than I thought that may be. I like em of course, and they are for sure better than WMR controllers but not at a miles winning margin. I‘ll try to use the valve controllers with my OD+ There are good tools out there. Had it working with older work-arounds but it was a bit finniky to set up.

Basically as it stands there are „just“ two (and a half) points where the 8kX have a clear win over the G2:

-Certainly FOV (but WMR came a long way and may have reached an acceptable level)

-Expandability with eye tracker (won‘t need that as much on the WMR since it is eating less performance. Hand tracker (will be great but it may take at least one more year to really have a decent set of software that use it in a not only gimmicky way

-The knob on the back of the strap. That‘s the „half“ because I think that simmers may actually like finally using a good and comfy strap without that annoying knob pressing against the chair. I‘m no simmer but I heard that many prefer the basic strap because of that.

One may add that Pimax has Pitools but let us be honest with that one. Pimax would be horrible out of the box without Pitools!
Cudos to Sweviver to make it finally at least one more strongsuit. Have not seen it till now, so it must be declared as non existent. Although I‘m sure Sweviver is gonna put tons of heart into it and it will be ready.
Nobody is gonna blame me though for slightly doubting pimax time related estimates.
Even adjusting contrast is a must, where I never felt to necessarily change anything on my OD+ (you can at least change Hz which is probably the most important setting anyway)
Never felt anything too dark or white that could not be changed in the application/game itself.

I have not tried any of both but regarding the impressions that were laid down for now it seems that is easier to state where the 8k X
wins over the G2. Otherwise it would be a loong list, even without the price-ratio.

@mixedrealityTV awesome review
I really hope you get the chance to compare with the final versions of both soon.

4 Likes

I find it incredibly unwise for someone to completely cancel their order off of one persons review…

9 Likes

Yeah, that is a really strange thing for someone to do IMO also. I would think that you would at least compare the two headsets for yourself and return or sell the one you don’t want, instead of letting yourself get swept away by a single glowing review.

4 Likes

Yes, now a lot of people will be waiting for the 8K-X to see if they should get it or the or the G2 Reverb.

The scary thing is … imagine

Right now Pimax are saying 8K-X preorders will be delivered soon. Then 2 months later they will say again “soon”. Then 2 months later we will see some Youtuber reviews and they will say it is a groundbreaking device. Then it is November 2020 and they say they are 90% sure that all 8K-X preorders will be shipped by Christmas. Then Christmas passes and maybe 10 people received their 8K-X, but you are not one of them. Then in January 2021 they say they will get all 8K-X preorders delivered within end of month. Then it is February 2021 and some people received theirs but you haven’t received yours yet and they say they have run into issues with the panel quality and have a panel shortage. And since now it is Chinese New Year, production and shipping will resume afterwards.

In March 2021 Valve announces Index 2 with 150 degree FOV and high resolution panels with new never seen before immersion improving features.

In April 2021 you finally receive your 8K-X … at the same time Valve Index 2 hands-on previews come out declaring it the best VR HMD ever.

… wait, I wrote this before

https://community.openmr.ai/t/sweviver-pimax-8k-x-specifications-revealed-everything-you-need-to-know/20193/453?u=glassy99

Just joking lol, but seriously it is a shame Pimax couldn’t release 8KX sooner. By the time they actually release their ‘groundbreaking’ HMDs announced years ago, competitors are coming out with alternatives that actually may be a better option for some people.

Looks like Reverb G2 is going to sway people from 8KX, like the Index did to the 5K+. The big brand names help a lot with confidence for the average Joe … and Pimax as a new relatively unknown company needs to do their best at everything to close that trust gap and create positive word of mouth - including communications, public relations, marketing, customer support, quality assurance, after sales services … but as we know, those are exactly their weaknesses and source of customer horror stories. So I don’t blame anyone for going with Reverb G2.

And finally … as everyone knows … Pimax shouldn’t have sent MRTV an unfinished 8KX without telling him what to do with it if they didn’t want him to review it … thus creating this immediate disadvantage.

Who knows, MRTV might be enthusiastic about the final 8KX when he gets it and then people who cancelled their 8KX order change their mind again.

4 Likes

Personally, I hope to try a Reverb G2 before deciding whether to buy one.
I’m thinking I should be fine with the 8KX though, but will wait and see.

HP Price/image/quality , good support least in EU = easy And safe to order.

Pimax (insert model here) = slow customer support/ random quality (you never know when it cracks) / delays etc / high price = no Thanks

It Looks like pimax only thing is FOV and it wont last forever …

4 Likes

How come? Normaly you cancel your order get your refund wait for other reviews and then buy again your PImax. It’s only unwise if your purchase the G2 now before waiting confirmation… The same goes the 8K-X where is the second opinion and no professional review of the final unit…

1 Like

Normally you dont buy it in the first place if one review is enough for you to cancel :sweat_smile:

Here is my take. There’s a reason why we all pre-ordered the 8K-X. We all want a wider FOV with good resolution. Is it really worth trading a pretty wide FOV for the potato FOV that is less than the Index just because the Reverb G2 looks better?

I say pre-order both G2 and 8KX and then decide for yourself which one to keep and which one to sell.

FOV is very important for immersion. It’s not just about resolution alone. As someone who owns the StarVR One, I just don’t feel as immersed in my Index anymore as I used to.

4 Likes

You do that if you want to receive your 8K-X 2 to 3 months later. It’s unwise to have waited this long for a pre-order and give up your spot this late in the game.

Imo it’s more than that. As MRTV said and I’ve said in the past, the brain easily adjusts back to a narrower fov the same as it adjusts to a wider fov. The thing with the Reverb as well (speaking from experience here) is it just works out-of-the-box. None of the infamous Pimax fiddling about. Sure, NPE is coming but there’s no guarantees it will fix things like the distortions and potential eye strain. I will compare the two [Reverb G2 & 8kX] seeing as MRTV doesn’t want to do that right now (he mentioned comparing similar scenes of HLA through the lense).

8 Likes