MRTV HP Reverb G2 Preview

Thanks, awesome description - and good to read the the dongles are actually still available in quantities!
Was the tracking precision gain for the headset itself noticable a lot? What were the disadvantages when using the native inside-out tracking?

Iā€™m actually really thinking about cancelling my X. I think the only reason for keeping my preorder for the X in, is that I might get it in September (best case) while I might get my G2 in November (worst case). But I donā€™t know if thatā€™s even fair to assume. Right now they havenā€™t even shipped out the original 400 X backers so who knows how long it will be before they ship out my preordered X

2 Likes

i think about canceling my 8kx order too and get the G2

1 Like

I personally hate anything but perfect tracking. I have a very low tolerance compared to the average consumer I am pretty sure. Everyone talks about how WMR head tracking is flawless but I notice micro skips all the time, especially during the day when sunlight comes through closed blinds and unavoidably washes out a room. Additionally, it just takes comparatively massive amounts of cpu time to infer tracking from video data vs the simple translation and strobe timing math with lighthouse.

Then, as a DCS simmer, WMR tracking really sucks at handling looking down or behind a rig chair. It has a very inelegant reacquisition process as well where it takes a good 3 seconds for it to reaquire tracking once lost.

Using a vive tracker to redirect hmd tracking is much more user unfriendly than just getting knuckles working with WMR, though. Openvr input emulator has been effectively abandoned by the developer while openvr space calibrator is still getting actively updated.

Iā€™m hoping the G2 will be popular enough with VR enthusiasts to create a forcing function on updating and polishing the open source software projects that link WMR and OpenVR hardware, and then of course OpenXR as it gains more momentum.

4 Likes

And do you have a Pimax ?

Also G2 will be incapable of doing motion cancellation for sim rigs that and the reduced fov. No go for me!

2 Likes

Yea, a 5K+ and then tried the 8KX pretty extensively with DCS back at CES.

Pimax is certainly underrated, but personally the only thing I hate worse than bad tracking is the omnipresent subpixel aliasing you get in the plethora of ancient, unoptimized, slapped on deferred shading engines that every single sim seems to use. The main way to fix this of course is with higher render targets, which therefore means you are limited by GPU rendering efficiency, and unfortunately I just find not enough titles support native non-parallel projection to make Pimax worth it for me. The exponentially growing curve of wasted pixels to parallel reproject is just brutal.

Given that single plane multi viewport single-pass rendering is way easier than multiplane, I doubt this is changing anytime soon, as evidenced by the complete lack of multi plane optimizations present in Source 2 (the recent fixes on the forum are all about turning all render batch optimizations off)

4 Likes

Hmm the G2 does looking like an interesting option but Iā€™ll wait for other reviews and my 8KX before making a decision.

5 Likes

I just watched the Preview and holy mofo the G2 sounded awesome. The fact that it doesnā€™t require external lighthouses and if the FOV is around 140 with super clear screens with good blacksā€¦ That sounds cool.

The Pimax took my money immediately after I pre ordered, which was kinda confusing. Letā€™s say if I wanted to cancel the order, how much pain it would be? I ordered through the PayPall that was offered.

Not that I cancel right away, just viewing my options. Thanks!

1 Like

Yea, Iā€™ve seen several projects start and die trying to fix this. If you are on a motion rig WMR is still absolutely a no-go.

1 Like

FoV is 114 as I understood it.

7 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s not very much then.

1 Like

So did the 8KX when he did a video on that at CES :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Pre-oredered the day before the X arrived.
Not about to skip this one.

1 Like

Are you using index controllers with 5k+ at home ? Is it perfect ?

After 8KX + DCS days at CES, did you preordered 8K X ?

True, but that relatively low FoV converts much of the 2x*2x resolution into details and probably allows non-canted displays. Might have to play with potato FoV more to see how much it hurts on 5k+.

But the pimax seems also have to have problems with motion cancelation. or maybe i am wrong?

Donā€™t forget the price.

2 Likes

@john2910
Pimax works fine with motion cancellation. Any lighthouse tracking headset does. Pimax just needs more offset settings in there pitool version of it, which @PimaxUSA said they are going to add.

1 Like

If attaching a tracker to the g2, is there any reason why motion cancellation canā€™t still be used?
Ive seen someone say they did it with the first reverb i believe.