MRTV HP Reverb G2 Preview

Yepp, also guess a review of a Pimax preproduction model with non-functional controllers that switches off every few minutes and has wrong brightness settings would have sounded a lot more critical and the defects would have more prominently been covered in the preview.
Great [p]review still - and kudos for getting the hands on this (only) prototype. And the defects of the prototype can realistically be expected to be fixed in the full version, so skipping them shouldn’t really hurt the impression and is imho acceptable from an independent point of view. Even or particuarly if it might have been a condition that the preview can take place.

But the G2 does sound nonetheless really promising! Exactly what I would have hoped with the Pimax headset also - not making the FoV so extreme, thus making it more realistic to have optics that can fully cope with the task - and gaining clarity in return. An 8kX with the FoV of an index would have otherworldy clarity!
Good colors sounds great of course. That was the only thing I preferred with the original Vive over the 5k+.
No option for eye tracking and hand tracking though. Perhaps slightly less need for DFR because of the lower resolution.

And last but not least - an 8kX cries for an RTX card while one might get away with an 1080 TI for the G2. Upgrading to a 3000 RTX series means a completely new PC in my case for which I have no real need outside of VR. Hm…

2 Likes

…Still a no brainer

if they would just do a proper color calibration of the panels, and load that into the firmware for the LCD board, now that would make one hell of a difference.
there is a thread where I and another member have calibrated our displays with a colorimeter, this makes a HUGE difference… but untill we can load ICM profiles into the Pimax HMD’s we are out of luck :thinking:

11 Likes
2 Likes

if there is a easy hack to use the index controllers,its a must have for me… And byby pimax 8kx for me

1 Like

Sweeviver wont like that :smiley:

Dont cancel your 8k X , try them both before making your decision

1 Like

He actually answered my question… Brian Brogan upgrade from 5k+ with absolutely yes. Of course I LL have 8kx soon :blush:

ye he answers almost every question :slight_smile: aks him 8kx vs g2 lol

I have both headsets ordered anyway. I pre-ordered the G2 half a week ago before it was public with Schenker/bestware :sweat_smile:.

So I will see for myself as well. My 8KX is an upgrader and will come soon I imagine. If color calibration would be available, I’d use that as well - but we’d need to be able to upload the profiles then.

And Normal FOV needs 90Hz - so nobody claims it’s 75Hz 8KX vs 90Hz G2. I’m curious.

5 Likes

NOW he is talking about 8k X LISTEN GUYS

3 Likes

This gets asked a fair bit so you can find more extensive information by searching.

But yes, it is very easy. You buy index controllers + lighthouses as normal. Then you need 2 “watchman” dongles for the index controllers to connect to.

There are 3 good options for this currently:

1. Steam controller dongle
  2. Virtual Builds dongle https://www.virtualbuilds.com/product-page/usb-wireless-receiver-dongle
  3. Tundra Labs dongle https://tundra-labs.com/shop/vive-dongle

Currently the tundra labs is the cheapest. I have virtual builds myself as they used to be cheaper.

You plug one dongle at a time into your computer and connect your index controllers just like if you had an index.

Then you use OpenVR Space Calibrator to sync WMR playspace with SteamVR playspace and bam, index controllers with perfect tracking + Reverb. (can’t post link to github link for software due to 2 link limit for new user, just google it).

If you want the HMD to have perfect tracking as well you can attach a vive tracker and use OpenVR Input Emulator to redirect the Vive tracker tracking to the HMD. It is just a bit awkward to mount it (I use a smartphone camera clamp + zipties) and messes with the balance. But it gives you truly native lighthouse tracking.

8 Likes

As excited as I am for my 8KX to arrive in a few weeks, I personally think that majority of the things MRTV has said comparing the G2 to the 8KX will likely still stand even with the final unit. I just don’t expect to see much of a difference from what I saw in Orlando. Don’t get me wrong, it looked fantastic, but I can understand how the G2 would look better if the colors/brightness are stronger. The color/brightness/darkness was one area my 5K+ always lacked.

7 Likes

thx for the imformation… now its getting more and more exiting(exept for the tracker on the head lol)

1 Like

I really like my 5k+ iracing…room scale…i m not sure reverb 2 fov would be enough for me after pimax.only other headset I had was original Vive which I put on few weeks ago…still a dam good purchase

1 Like

Totally agree. It really depends on the types of games people prefer. Obviously sim players will absolutely love the 8KX over the G2. I’m kind of a mix player myself, I play all sorts of games like Skyrim, HL Alyx, SPT, Moss, and Project Cars. Owning both would be the best solution! :wink:

2 Likes

Let‘s wait and see. The picture quality of the 8KX should be in the same ballpark, if you look at the ppi. Colors are not my biggest gripe, never felt a difference between Vive and Rift either.

Sebastian had the 8K+ pre-prduction headset too, which I tried last October, and it was not that great either, but I recall that there was a discussion around here whether he had proper settings & drivers for his 8K+. So I will await further reviews & comparisons by others before jumping to conclusions.

The availability of DFR would in any case be an additional pro of the 8KX, next to the obvious FoV & Lighthouse tracking/Index controllers.

5 Likes

The PPD needs extra math as due to canting. The PPD should be similar however the g2 should have slightly more. But not enough to really notice. It will have a potential edge though due to being a gen1 design. But of course you lose the higher FoV.

2 Likes

I’ll see for myself anyway. I’m an early Upgrader to 8KX and I have ordered the G2 before it was on official pre-order. The colors I’ll bounce up myself in the 8KX too.

2 Likes

Yep…it’s really what each person does in vr. In fps it’s moving fast and looks great with pimax5k… iracing takes some tweaking to get colors right for me. It’s the shimmering in distance that isn’t bad but I want better if that makes sense?

1 Like

In race league I run in only me and another driver run in vr out of 30 drivers. The other drivers who dont haven’t ever tried vr so have no idea what it’s like to race with.