Mr.uu´s 8kX Experiences

@SweViver make sure “the new pimax experience” adds this command line for you when launching so everybody can have a good experience with this game without having to worry.

2 Likes

mind providing a link to this gamer nexus video or thread where this feature supposedly fixes gpu catlyst?

This is the first tine hearing about any of this.

While the line is very helpful, I think giving users the choice of whether to include it is better. Some may still prefer parallel projection if they want to get rid of the remaining 5% of rendering issues which is a little bit of shadow culling on the very edge periphery on the right eye or the volumetric fog still looking messed up unless it is disabled.

2 Likes

…when the typo make way more sense than the correct spelling. :grinning:

2 Likes

try Low-Fi

4 Likes

That is with pp needed. i would prefer it with pp off, so you need
“-console -vconsole +sc_no_cull 1 +vr_multiview_instancing 0 +vr_enable_volume_fog 0” to get rid of the volumetric fog problem and improve performance.

4 Likes

some people like to be spoonfed here. Plus, you mix things up. I said that the video shows that this next W10 Update feature is in its infant state and yield to no benefit at all, sometimes even to a loss of fps.

Video is here: GamersNexusVideo about GPU scheduling

Sombody else said that it somehow fixes Pimax GPU Catalyst.

1 Like

Yeah! Got it :crazy_face:
Was definately not on purpose, as none native typos often happen.
Need to try some “nature” videos, though… :scream:

2 Likes

I am a backer. But a non-Beta tier. Will receive it as soon as its ready.

1 Like

Kind of. Tried Aircar just now. Resolution 100% on small gave me 3300v pixels.
Presence in the cockpit is amazing. was watching the raindrops changing their size and shapes. Could read all labels and the holographic displays look amazing.
BUT then you look outside and see the relatively low poly buildings and vehicles flying around. This demo needs a mesh and texture update asap! So looking outside and seeing the fake surrounding was pulling me out of presence immediately.

2 Likes

Yes aircar has low poly textures from outside the car scene. I notice it, even on my StarVR One. It’s a good demo for getting a sense of presence with wide FOV, but not the best resolution showcase for the 8KX or any headset for that matter.

@mr.uu How do games like Pavlov, The Walking Dead, and Asgard’s Wrath look on the 8KX?

Newer tried Pavlov. Do not own TWD or Asgard´s Wrath. Interested in TWD but have more than enough games to try first.

1 Like

Did you try dual mode with SS AT 100% and pitools at 1.0 ?

The 8K+ will always have a softer look and will never be as sharp as an 8KX, since the 8K+ always upscales.

I agree , but laymen don’t need choice right away.

Have the option there but just turn on the best one for the plebs like uploadVR when they finally decide to review the thing.

1 Like

Sounds good. I highly recommend getting Asgard’s Wrath from the Oculus store and playing it through Revive. It is a quality triple A VR game and has so many details that it would highly benefit from the 8K-X’s 4K resolution. I think the world is as big as Skyrim’s or close. Like 40+ hours of gameplay.

1 Like

yeah i can play the game now, when it’s done it will be cool.

Its a little tech-demoey at the moment. But the atmosphere is there.

Definitely channeling blade runner.

The observer 2 looks great but i don’t know if they will add VR.

revive not necessary or recommended. Pitool plays it better. (first time for everything)

3 Likes

So, tried some more.

Was watching some nature videos. :scream: from czechvr.com via VirtualDesktop
First was watching 4k content (i had already downloaded a year ago) and that looks amazing already.
Then i downloaded new 8k content. Was even better, more detailed. But even with lower quality you have a weird feeling of presence - what it´s all about - isn´t it? :crazy_face:

Then i tried HiRes youtube videos via VirtualDesktop. size 90deg, 1.5m distance. Distance similar to a movie theatre. Desktop was at 1440p and stream, too. Already that was amazing. Did not try real 4k - can only be even better. First time you think you look at a normal Monitor, not focusing on sde.

Then i thought i could use this setting to compare my index and switched to it. Well, i almost forgot how i immediately focus on the sde while watching movies with the index. If you slightly move your head while watching it looks great because the sde gets kind of blurred. But as soon as your head keeps steady, the picture becomes sharp and the sde jumps right into your eye…

Nevertheless compared the sweetspot aaaaannnnndddd: felt better (reasoning below). The numers at the bottom (timeline) and the Title on top/left was less blurred than with my 8kX. saw no barrel distortion when looking at the borders of the movie “wall” but slight warping inside it. roughly at the point of half of max fov of the index there was some slight warping going on. And also on top. On top was also compression going on.

Then i started HL Alyx with the index. Steamvrss resolution was around 2300v pixels. Went to the balcony and enjoyed the view. I did want to compare the fov and warping/clarity with my 8kx. so i went around one meter left of the radio on the table, looking straight ahead to the citadel. down, outside of the balcony you see two leafs. i centered myself on the right leaf and checked how far i could see from side to side and up and down. with the index i could see up to the massive high block on the citadel and below i could almost see the balcony handrail. Left i could see until (including) the round windows like structure of the combine outpost and right i could see until (including) the big rooftop window of the next building.

I focused on the smoke coming out of the cimneys and was suprised about the details i saw there. BUT the screendoor when my head was still. terrible. was the same impression as before when watching videos.
Clarity/sharpness is simply so much better on the 8kX.

Then i checked the blur area of the lenses again. Was pleased with the amount of blur. Better than 8kX (reasoning coming soon). Then i switched to the 8kX again.
First of all i switched pp on and dialed steamvrss to 100% (3004v pixels, FOV small) compared back with pp off and have to say that it is overall a better experience with pp on (contrary to my old thinking).
Checked the details and have to say it is a massive improvement in clarity over the index. checked the fov and could see now (from the same position as before) another roughly two centimeter in the lenses further. left to the end of the combine outpost and more, right to the end of the rooftop around the corner of this building and below i could see the handrail. but i couldn´t see as far up as before - minimal less far. Reason for it could be my vertical ipd offset of -2 on both eyes. But i am not sure about that.

Checked the blur of the lenses (sweetspot) and was positively and negatively suprised at the same time. It looks to me as if the blur of the index lenses is starting earlier but is less intense. So i think the sweetspot of the pimax lenses is overall bigge, but sharpness degrades quicker over fov.
So my feeling about the better clarity of the index was not completely wrong. But after having swapped the index with the 8kX, the improvement in quality is so big that i never want to go back (exeption: 144Hz needed)

Can not test more today, will do next week.

20 Likes