Mr.uu´s 8kX Experiences

No. Test was with parameters and with pp on.
Tried without parameters and pp on right now. could not see the menu of HL Alyx. I think MaxRecommendedResolution setting of 16384 does prohibit me to run it without problems. checked the steamvrss resolution and it was 70xx x 4144 so almost 30 Million pixels. :scream:

Alxy starts and i see the “press trigger” message, but this message dissapears after two seconds and i hear the musik of the next scene with that guy with the valve, but i can not see him i see the same surrounding as at the beginning. no menu, nothing.

EDIT: Tried MaxRecommendedResolution setting of 32768, but game behaves the same.
hmm, i realize i had it working before with that insane resolution but with the parameters.

3 Likes

So, need to bring kids to bed. More testing tomorrow.

4 Likes

Why would you start with 7000x4144 pixels, do you want to start a fire?? :sweat_smile:
RIP to all thresholds :skull_and_crossbones:

I’m also concerned the X may be too good and just make some things now look to fake. could you try something other the HLA. Is most everything just simply better?

Hehe. He asked me to test with 100% steamvrss resolution. And that’s what it sets with pp on.

3 Likes

Sure. Tomorrow. Which game?

1 Like

Besides all the quality testing, how is the feeling of presence compared to the headsets you know?

2 Likes

Hmm. Had the biggest wow so far with HL Alyx and the Index, standing on the balcony at the very beginning of chapter one.
Had my best presence feeling so far with the 8kx flying over my house and a few known places in google earth vr.

I need to test more games. And optimize values for each specific game. I would love to stand on the mountain in the lab again. Or try the photogrammetry scenes of destination. I imagine there is still room for some even more intense presence feelings with the 8kx if settings are right.

3 Likes

Okay, then that concludes it! Using sc_no_cull 1 and vr_multiview_instancing 0 without parallel projection results in a significantly improved performance over PP :slight_smile:

The reason PP increases resolution so much is because it has to render the same image twice but in different orientation for each eye. So it is signicantly more of a performance impact than without.

1 Like

You should try Aircar on Large FOV. On my StarVR One it feels like the most immersive experience I’ve ever had.

8 Likes

No and yes. It is about the angled view needed for angled displays. Not “same image twice” but bigger resolution then projected onto the angled plane of the canted displays.

2 Likes

Yep, was already stunning with my 8k. Was just sitting in that thing and flying around. I think the wheather effects does there some magic.

4 Likes

Sure. Will try some virtual desktop youtube 4k watching. Or bigscreen 4k trailer watching.
Monitor is a 4k tv running mostly in 1440p@120Hz.

1 Like

My pleasure(, too). :sunglasses:

6 Likes

So still the valve index is the one too beat…(except for the glare offcourse)

Pretty certain that the wow would have been even bigger with the 8kx. Just did want to share that some experiences are already kind of occupied.

6 Likes

I had a bigger wow effect with the pimax xr than with my new Index.

It is what it is :man_shrugging:

the only thing I didnt like was the 82hz of the xr

2 Likes

And the 8k x is even lower :unamused:

Yep! 1234567890111213

Save yourself some money try it first if unacceptable to you buy a better GPU later maybe 3080ti will be out by then, that is unless you have piles of money just laying around.

That would be ideal, but FYI: a 2080 (non-Ti) has fairly similar performance, as long as FFR is off.

1 Like