Mr.uu´s 8kX Experiences

2 Likes

Interesting. Worth to try.

Thank you for these great posts! Really enjoying reading all of your experiments and testing. Your Index comparisons are really interesting to me because that is what I currently use. You’re making me even more excited to get my 8KX. I went from a 5k+ to an Index and while I’ve enjoyed the improved audio, comfort and ease of use I really have missed that extra FOV from the 5k+. I personally never had any issues with distortions so I don’t expect to have any with the 8kx either.

Do you happen to have American Truck Simulator or Eurotruck Simulator? Would love to hear about your thoughts on the improvement in those games.

2 Likes

Very detailed impressions there, thanks for that.
Now, @mr.uu , you mentioned you have to install the Oculus crap software anyway, may I suggesst Stormland be made into a test subject? Pretty sure you’ll enjoy that game as well, it allows awesome freedom of movement and has huge levels, so the clarity at a distance should really pay off there.

1 Like

Unfortunately it has become customary to use the terms “sharpness”, and “clarity” both to describe how good things are optically, and when estimating the magnified screen resolution of the device.

One would wish everybody would try to avoid inevitable misunderstandings, by simply making the distinction, but alas; This is the whole: “sweet spot” fraying of nomenclature all over again. :frowning:

1 Like

TWD has good graphics for sure. Even though I enjoyed other zombie games and loved Arizona, completing it a couple times with different people. I find the killing by hand in TWD a bit intense and real. I give it to them for their accomplishments but I guess I don’t find it that enjoyable. Don’t think I’ll complete it. Definitely not for everyone and can’t recommend it as a must buy. I just hope their next VR title is a bit less killing, because it is very well made title.

1 Like

I have the AmericanTruckSimulator and the EuroTruckSimulator 2. Both support VR? never tried them.

I would need to buy stormland. but i have The Climb already. Will test that - i have fear of heights :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Sounds like killing zombies in Days Gone on PS4.
I could test Arizona Sunshine.

Yeah, need to play Skyrim. But first want to install the best VR mods for it…takes time.

1 Like

Did not mention yet that i have some occasional hiccups with the right speaker of the smas. It seems as if the speakers connection is loose (but inside the speaker, i checked the plug sits firmly in the socket).
I need to screw it loose, clean the contacts and fasten it again.

Overall i am impressed by the quality of the speakers. Thought that i would use my vive in-ears instead of the smas, but i can easily picture myself using just the smas for gaming.

EDIT: Did as said above and fixed my audio connection problems.

6 Likes

Thanks for your time, Mr. uu and for your honest impressions.
As it concerns getting SkyrimVR set up, are you aware of this?

I use this and it works great and really makes it quicker to set up.

Oh yes, they both have VR support and are both very immersive. One of the developers has been keeping the VR version updated with the releases because the game does not have “official” support.

Definitely worth checking out. Below is a link to the steam forums showing how to activate the VR support

https://steamcommunity.com/app/270880/discussions/0/1480982971179620062/

1 Like

I really appreciate your sharing of hands on 8kx experience. Makes the wait that much bearable.

Pimax should have more regular users sharing the experiences such as yours, this is as pure as it gets, no hype or view number, just enthusiasm for vr.

2 Likes

Wife taking care about bringing kids to bed, so i had time to try the lab.

I do not know how to describe this. The lab is performant, even on 4000v pixels steamvrss. barely using more than 8ms frametime. Incredible. Did want to check it out for a few minutes. Was so overwhelmed that i did spend almost an hour in it.

This is how the lab must be seen! Tried Xortex first, then some of the photogrammetry scenes like vesper peak and venice (was at that place in person a couple of years ago), then went into the magic store. Never thought i would stay there so long - until the end. Then i played around with the baloon machine and lastly with the remote drone. was that amazing. My new reference for presence. picture was so crisp and very rarely a single aliased line. could see details almost like in real life as far as i did want to make out details i could. just wow. btw. the wooden sticks to throw for the robot dog really need s a higher texture.

Sorry that i sound like mrtv :crazy_face: but i tell you: Please try the lab first!

14 Likes

Thanks for having so much fun testing your 8K X while the rest of us wait for our own :smile:
I really appreciate it, one question though.
When holding your gun in HL-Alyx and moving your hand/gun around how is the feel of responsiveness in the HMD Vs what our feel in real life ? (moving the controller) like twisting your wrist to see the other side of the gun, is it fast enough to keep up ? :smiley:

Keep up the nice work, this is by far the best way for most of us to keep hanging on while we wait :+1::+1:
And remember to say thanks to you wife from the rest of us :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Will do :+1:

Just installed Oculus software and the climb. Import in Pitools was a piece of cake. Dialed ingame all to max. Still saw some vertical aliased lines at around 40 degrees left and right fov sometimes popping up. saw this in the menus. did not see them in the game. loaded some tracks but like with some older games the low res textures do really show. Picture is crisp, but is kinda boring. Looks similar to showdown demo. like a five, six year old demo. At the time amazing, nowadays not exciting anymore.

4 Likes

Tried that just now. Setting was 4111v pixels pp on. frametimes were below threshold, but frames were “only” between 60+ and 72. rarely 75 -when i looked at the guns.
Tracking was perfect. no latency when turning the guns quickly. did even wiggle the guns and they behaved as in real life. did flip it really fast and it even snapped back a little.
Did you know that the ammunition of th “pumpgun” has groves along the longer side? could make them out from around half an arms length from the face. Heck, was even able to read the description on the back of the scanning tool partly. “1.5v 2x H.C.”, “Made in China” :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Stormland doesn’t induce fear of heights (I guess), but being able to move around vast worlds at those speeds and being able to jump/fly/glide like that is an exhilarating experience, highly recommended. Also it is one of the prettiest VR games so far.

you really want me to test it though…

€40??? Too much. I will wait for a discount.

3 Likes