Let's Talk About The Yaw VR 2 Motion Simulator Kickstarter - Just 24 Hours Left Until Launch!

If the sensations it gives are anywhere near as good as what I get in my Yaw 1 then it will be the the best bang for many people’s buck for sure!!!

2 Likes

Hmm, did somebody not link the other week (maybe it was on another forum), to a video where a guy went on at length about his issues with most motion simulator rigs and their simulation software profiles?

…his main point of contention being that when e.g. pitched back, your weight indeed presses you into the back rest, mimicking being accelerated forwards at a maximum 9.87-ish m/s^2, BUT, before that, if the pitch point is below inner ear level, the initial actual acceleration is the neck rest retracting from your head, and the head following it backwards, as if you were experiencing braking – a force opposite to the intended simulation. This goes for all axes.
I guess there is a reason the really dyed-to-the-marrow simulation afficinados, in their stewart platforms, and similar, are adamant about having a healthy range and power on heave, sway, and surge… :7

1 Like

I suppose this is where the 4-point harnass may come into play - it keeps you attached to the seat, avoiding the sensation to at least some degree.

2 Likes

Ahhh screw it, just pledged for the Yaw2 and built in casters :smiley: :rofl:
if it turns out it’s too big for my office I guess i’ll sell it (hope not)

3 Likes

I don’t think so – I think I’d reason slightly the opposite. It is not so much the separation between head and neckrest that is the problem, but the reading from the semicircular canals of one’s vestibular system being accelerated rotationally and translationally, relative to the inertia and compressability of the liquid inside them. If the hairs inside the canals sense the liquid sloshing forwards (EDIT: …or rather: “remaining where it was”), due to my head being accelerated backwards, that will be interpreted as just that: A reduction in relative forward motion, where we want the opposite, which should leave the liquid massing up against the back wall.

After we have settled, we are no longer accelerating, and being leaned back can feel almost indistinguishable from actual mild forward acceleration, but right at the start, one should register a brief jolt of contradictory feedback.

… This is also that little crowning feat than needs to be addressed with treadmills – I do know the Infinideck people, for this very reason, make sure to let you take that first step (EDIT2: …from standstill) in physical space, and then slowly return you the centre of the deck, instead of fully cancelling out your translation 100% of the time.

1 Like

Let’s see how it pans out. One factor which shouldn’t be under-estimated is actually that what-ever movement you notice, once you get used to it the brain will to some degree put together a picture in your head which suggests that something you know from the real world is happening, even if the movement doesn’t fully match the forces you would be exposed to in real life. E.g. take the FeelThree or Yaw 1 bowl rig: I imagine it is great because it allows for quite a bit of roll. However, if you were in an actual airplane, especially in jet fighters with high velocity flying more extreme maneuvers, if you roll to the side to fly left or right, in the FeelThree or Yaw you would roll and the gravity pulls towards the floor - which we would consider great, as it is the alignment you would have in the plane. But would of course is easily forgotten is the centrifugal force, which would sort of pull you to the original trajectory of your initial movement. That means that you would not notice the gravity pull as the main or only force and the pull you experience in the FeelThree or Yaw isn’t entirely correct.

Nevertheless it is something which adds a dynamic g-force sensation and by that immensely adds to the immersion even if not 100%, perhaps not even 80% correct. Still much better than just nothing at all.

1 Like

Preach (20 characters worth of verse). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finally put my Realteus Forcefeel mat to work in MSFS, and although it isn’t anywhere near reality, and you notice that they simply direct certain motors of the 8 motors to respond for certain effects (e.g. the front two on the horizontal part of the mat will give you the rumble of taxying on the ground while the back two is addressed for motor rumble, it adds so much to the immersion that I really felt deeply grateful for having purchased the mat (and having almost forgotten about it because it somehow didn’t want to work with PJC2 - I’ll tackle that next). Your brain accepts the trigger input after getting used to it.

We won’t have the possibilities to get truly realistic feedback anytime soon, there is no true holodeck coming to us, but these little helpers will help a lot to push immersion.

After getting the Yaw 2 (plus hopefully the heave module they are trying to develop in parallel), the next big thing for me would be hand-tracking addition in MSFS and haptic gloves, giving you feedback when you push or dial a knob or lever. It would be so cool to take your had from your physical yoke, grab a knob and dial it while getting some physical feedback on that). But haven’t heard much yet even on the simple part, the software support for (existing !) hand-tracking capabilities, let alone any reasonably priced & shaped consumer haptic gloves…

1 Like

I’m really conflicted here after already backing Feelthree, I really am not sure if I should pull the trigger on this or not.

1 Like

I looked at that after being so disappointed in the H3 and noticed that it appears to have a U-Joint as well! Take a close look at how the platform is attached to the base: the platform pivots on what appears to be a U-Joint. It might be a classier one than the H3 uses but it still looks like a U-Joint…

Hi fellow backer of the F3, I did pull the trigger because I actually want to have a motion rig here sometime this or early next year, and I don’t have a lot of confidence in the F3 progress any longer. It may arrive one fine day, but that day seems to be in some distance and if it arrives, fine, I can compare the two and sell off the less convincing one.

Have a look at the Motion House UN2 then: it seems to be the better implementation of the NLR V3 concept. At least according to SimRacing Garage.

MotionHouse https://en-motionhouse.imweb.me/shop/?idx=70

Sim Racing Garage Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Lm4llrbmA

1 Like

Look at picture 6: that’s a U-Joint as well.
Watching the video now… Ok, I don’t even need to finish this. This guy knows his stuff. 3 minutes in and he’s already discussing U-Joints. So this one has a customized U-Joint. I can also tell by his handling that the plate has no play, so this should be one of the better U-Joint based motion platforms.
Thanks for pointing out that mover and that Youtuber!

2 Likes

Yes, the guy pulls the reviewed items apart and goes into a level of detail with deep technological appreciation I haven‘t seen from any other reviewer.

This motion platform looks like it would be a pretty cool platform for sim racing; basic in the sense that it is just 2DoF so not even traction loss will be felt, but it probably will work in 5 and in 10 years - just looks solidly made.

A number of other vendors, including YawVR and FeelThree, haven‘t displayed that kind of mechanical quality in their builds. So if all these other ventures of mine ultimately prove to be unsuccessful, I might give this one a try.

2 Likes

Just got an email from the Yaw2 Kickstarter: they have almost a million in backing now! My bet is that they break that in a couple more days. And all they were looking for was a measly $100,000!
Here’s hoping that it helps them produce better and faster!

5 Likes

Oof looks great. If I had the room…

1 Like

I don’t have the room but i still bought one :thinking:

5 Likes

That’s dedication…! :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you.
Just like the Pimax 8KX i know a good product when i see one! :point_up:

1 Like

I guess to some degree you can actually compare it to Pimax. We have a guy on the German VR forum who owns the Yaw 1 bowl rig, and he had some issues with a motor having to be replaced, which required quite a bit of mechanical talent and motion compensation not working with all headset eco systems, etc… So not all rosy. But he did say that they tried to resolve stuff and responded fairly quickly to queries.
So they seem to be enthusiastic about their products, and have good ideas, like the Yaw 2. At the same time the downside is that they are not seasoned professionals in the motion rig world and not all of their ideas will necessarily work out as planned.
So when they say that they hope to have a working prototype of the heave platform by middle or end of May, this should be a clear sign to the backers to not expect too much (too soon). Getting heave this year would seem to rather be a best case, getting it next year still on the upside because it could easily happen that they notice that it destabilizes the entire rig too much and making it work would increase the footprint and end up too expensive to be enticing to their targeted customer range.

So yes, they do share some similarities with Pimax and we will have to take into account that there might be some hit & miss down the road. But at least you can be quite assured that they will give it their best, also after delivery.

2 Likes

I was also eyeing this but the reason I decided against it was basically the creator’s complete disregard of basic motion simulator principles, which is the following:
You simulate forces by tilting the user OPPOSITE the direction of the force.

Example: a RIGHT turn in a driving simulator should generate a force pulling you to the LEFT (aka centrifugal force), which can be achieved by tilting the user to the LEFT as gravity will pull on their center mass.

Now look at some of their driving videos: turning right, the chair tilts to the right. WTF?

Same sh*t in each of their flying videos, they are basically trying to just simulate the attitude of the seat, completely ignoring the forces generated by the motion (which would be the main point).

Also, there seems to be a noticable lag.