Kat Loco DOES WORK now!

On global mode, Kat loco can emulate one button when your feet walk. You can configure it as thumbstick, and you will walk or press thumbstick, and you will run. If it were double tap, double thumbstick, you could walk, stop and walk again (or run), and you’d start to run in the game

1 Like

so practically there is a moment when we stop before changing from walk to run , or for doing the opposite, go from run to walk ?

Yes, you can change the configuration whenever you want

But what would you change in the conf. that would avoid stopping in between the walk and the run or in between the running and the walk?

The transition from walking to running and the opposite, should be smooth, without the need of pausing, but that is not the case. Correct?

I am trying to foresee if i can try to avoid to have the same issue with the arduino custom based locomotion system :slight_smile:

Get better soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Marco!
I am making progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally received Kat Loco. No haven’t tried it. But am wondering why the Play mat smells like it was soaked in turpentine. Repulsive. Might see if it can be descented but for now stays zipped up.

2 Likes

I aired mine (in the garage which often has an open garage door) for two weeks and now it’s placed in my play space… :wink: They really should try to wash/clean/blow them “odor-free” before packing them… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed that is retched. Could you imagine them making a roll of carpet for your house?

1 Like

If it was part of some kind of domestic chemical warfare, yes… :woozy_face::grin:

2 Likes

Yes, the smell is aweful!

I used it one session of Pavlov.
Tomorrow i will start a new job after being sick of pneumonia :crazy_face:

I am recovering from it, but the good news is: I now work from monday to thursday :slight_smile:
What that means is not only more time with my son, but also more time for VR :smiley:

2 Likes

If the running method of the game is double tap (double thumbstick) and you want to run, you start walking, stop for less than a second and then start running and you will run in game.
If the method is “press thumbstick” you can set the Kat Loco for thumbstick; walk, or “press thumbstick” and you will run
This is for all the games that still doesn’t have native support: global mode

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks!
I did not have the chance to test the last update of their software. Did they add a y option for regulating the delay for sideways a d backwards movements?

2 Likes

There’s still a bit of delay, only for sideways and backwards.
I have the latest version of their website, apparently there is a new update but I can’t update it, it says SteamVr will close and the update will start, but nothing happens

1 Like

Hi gents. I have a technical query that perhaps you can help with. I got my loco a few weeks ago. I have Vive Cosmos and because of this it was not originally supported. Today I spent 2 hours with them testing the trackers on Cosmos with no luck.

I had this thought that perhaps the reason it does not work is because most games do not support the cosmos controllers yet (I have to bind them with older vive or oculus controls to get a game to work).

Do the sensors themselves bind to the “movement” buttons on the controllers? If so should it work if I first create the binding to Vive standard / Oculus controls and then have the loco bind to that?

Reason I ask here is because as much as the KAT team are extremely eager to help I find that their English is not great and getting these concepts to them is a little tedious.

1 Like

I have Katloco but haven’t tried it yet.

@DrWilken and @MarcoBalletta may have some ideas.

Welcome to the OpenMR forum! I have bumped your user level by 1. :pi_thumbsup:

1 Like

Haven’t used them much to be honest, but I do think You might be onto something regarding the Cosmos controllers @markabroad.

Maybe there’s a hint here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/kat-loco-kickstarter-coming-in-june-works-on-the-pimax/20256/96?u=drwilken

1 Like

Haven’t used it since the first try. After a while you get used to Walking or running with the thumbstick of the controller :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you Heliosurge. Nice to be here :wink:

1 Like

@DrWilken thank you for the reply. Your solution seems to be the standard one for Vive but not for Cosmos. As I mentioned I have spent several hours with the KAT loco team to assess the issues, which means we have definately gone through the calibration process a few times. The calibration does not seem to be the issue though, it seems its the command to tell the game that this particular command (ie movement of the loco) = this particular command on the vive controller configuration.

Since the KAT loco works with games x perfectly on Vive standard but does not work fine on Vive Cosmos my only guess would be, as suggested, that it has to do with the binding commands of the cosmos controllers in relation to the games.

As I explained originally, for any game that I play on steam I have to rebind the cosmos controllers to another binding (Eg Vive Pro or vive standard).

So this takes me back to my question. If the KAT loco gives a command to the controller to perform an action and if the game is looking for a command from the controller, and if the controller needs to have a binding of an older controller version, phew, could this be the reason the KAT loco is not working with the Cosmos?

You mentioned that I could be onto something here so hope that means I am going in the right direction ;). Does anyone then know how I would configure this? Is there an option in Steam to binding accessories (KAT loco) to certain commands in games?

2 Likes