Is Pimax actually making the X? Or is everything on lockdown?

I’m waiting for Sebs real preview anyway. Is it that surprising that a game created by a hmd manufacturer is best on that hmd manufacturer’s headset?

Let’s see if his feeling is the same in other games and experiences. I would be surprised and disappointed if he said it was the same in everything, and the index was better, given his overwhelmingly positive reaction at CES.

3 Likes

The Pimax 8kx can be the best i think exept for color and brightness and for some the distortion is disturbing.

I dont know if the 8kplus has the same color as the 8kx but if so then other headsets like the valve index have better color and brightness,but thats my opinion everybody is different offcourse.

4 Likes

I think I’ll end up keeping both my Index and 8K X so that when I feel like experiencing wide FOV and 4K resolution I have that option and if I want to experience amazing sound in games like Beat Saber I can use my Index.

People complain about the glare and god rays in the Index headset and the black levels, but I got used to those things, so I think I won’t have trouble getting used to any distortions on Pimax too. Maybe Sebastian switching between multiple headsets constantly hasn’t allowed his brain enough time to adjust to 8K X.

8 Likes

I like your optimism, but equally it could be called confirmation bias.

I hope the 8kx is as great as those couple of people say it is.

2 Likes

I hope so too but if not their is always eBay :0) the impressions from CES were all very positive and it’s been improved since then.

4 Likes

we all dropped balls , at puberty. seems like Pimax is in a pubic cycle.

1 Like

Isn’t it more hilarious that despite Pimax taking their sweet freakin ash time. we’re 1/4 into 2020 and I still don’t see another wide FOV headset. VR space is being pathetic.

6 Likes

they already have our money so we’re all just kind of in the air

whats worse all the people recomending potato fov headsets

1 Like

Exactly , theu would be foolish not to take the time to perfect their product.

If they put something out too early it will give UploadVR more ammunition.

2 Likes

Ridiculous. I am having zero issues from the headset itself with this Pimax Vision 8kX. Pimax may well add some minor improvements, but they do not need to. All Pimax needs to do is make more.

11 Likes

They are going to put out a hit piece on the 8KX REGARDLESS of what Pimax does or releases. That is a known fact. The best thing people can do is ignore them when it happens, ESPECIALLY Pimax employees. Getting into a sh*t fest with Upload only makes Pimax look bad.

9 Likes

How do you already own an 8K X headset?

Well, I think it’s really a loaner. Pimax were kind enough to let me take one of the pre-production units for testing after I spent much of my time at CES and then the NYC roadshow pitching in as a volunteer.

And indeed I think that testing has already uncovered a lot. Plus I learned a lot about what various VR users experience from the roadshow.

9 Likes

So you are not having issues with distortion, even in games like Half Life Alyx?

Also did you have any distortion problems on the 5K+?

1 Like

He is testing a loaner 8kx unit for Pimax since CES. You can read here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/nyc-pimax-roadshow-impressions/25352/16?u=vorinami

4 Likes

I’ve been having distortion problems with Alyx on 5k+ (minor)
but to make sure it wasn’t the 268 firmware I popped back into Asgard’s Wrath and no distortion basically non existent.

Are you also seeing noticeable distortion in Alyx?

I’m starting to wonder when Tested did that round up of Alyx on all of the VR Headsets and Norm mentioned that the distortion was off on the Pimax, if this is more of an issue with the Source2 engine and Pimax.

1 Like

Still have not tried Alyx yet. Trying to finish control schemes for more seated VR stuff first. That said, I have tried some roomscale as well as 100+ hours of seated stuff.

The distortion on the 8kX is drastically less and somewhat different.

On the 5k+, it’s sort of a severe fisheye distortion, even with ‘Normal’ FOV. This makes anything at the edges more or less just a visual cue of continuity. Like flying a flight simulator on a monitor with a laser line horizon cue filling the rest of the room.

On this not-final 8kX, it’s more a tiny hint of Mercator projection distortion, but without exaggerated continents at the map edges. Everything is close enough to where it should be, everything moves about as much as it should. But there is a subtle shift in perceived angle. A grid of parallel lines might show a hint of heading towards convergence at the edges. That causes a very subtle, and much more easily ignored, perception that objects at the edges move very slightly in depth as the head is turned.

That is to say, the distortion correction seems to nullify most of the error caused by the optical lenses, leaving a bit of distortion caused by the flat panels themselves. But I have not sufficiently thought through the optics/geometry .

I suspect what little distortion remains can and will be corrected in software before more 8kX headsets start shipping.

Unfortunately, this is the sort of stuff that roadshows would be awesome to demonstrate right now…

8 Likes

Yesterday I played HL:A on my 5K+ and I seriously tried to perceive the distortion that some people are claiming to see. I shifted my eyes abnormally out to the sides in an attempt to see distortion on the far edges and I supposed I could see a tiny bit, but in reality I don’t normally have my eyes shifted over into the far corners like that as it was practically the opposite of being cross eyed. Maybe it’s because my eyes have adjusted to my 5K+ since it’s my go to headset for over a year, but I just don’t see it. I didn’t see it on the 8KX either. My IPD is 71.

6 Likes

What would you describe to be distortion that you are looking for ?