Is Pimax actually making the X? Or is everything on lockdown?

I’m really not sure, just what some people are complaining about seeing with their Pimax headsets. I just don’t see it, even if I try.

Then dont look for it, once seen it dose not go away.

2 Likes

…and thats the problem we are facing at Pimax. We (engineers, employees, testers and me myself) just cant see the specific distortion issues some ppl are seeing on the 8KX. Makes it very difficult to do something about it.

IPD 69.5

5 Likes

My IPD is on the lowest end like 58.5 and I also can’t perceive any distortion. There surely are more factors causing perception of visual distortains than just IPD. And even then, do you really notice them while playing? I am just so happy to have any image on the peripheral as with our eyes in reality there is only very blured image and certainly no detailed figures like lines! for me the discussion of the geometric distortions on the periphery is absurd unless it causes some noticeble uncomfort.

4 Likes

Seems like there is a need for a virtual human head, with adjustable virtual human eyes, that can actually move.

Or perhaps optics simulations.

EDIT: Also, the distortion in the 8kX is not visible at all without moving the head around.

5 Likes

Maybe if you could get Pimax to make, lets say, 3 distortion profiles the users could use. a low, normal, high.

3 Likes

Watch the political correct police with “normal”
:grinning:

Agreed…Each person’s definition of “distortion” going to be different. It is a completely subjective matter. To some it is some sort of stretched geometry, to some - blurry objects, to some - something else that bothers them. If I am not going to be bothered by anything on my 8KX after I get it sometime this year, I am going to post here that THERE IS NO 8KX DISTORTION FOR ME PERSONALLY.

1 Like

Did a similar experiment yesterday with my 5k+, too - mainly to see what vertical alignment does. And yes, there is distortion. Best seen e.g. in Steam home when looking at straight lines and text, e.g. at the boards on the left of the large screen, then turning the head. First text becomes blurry when leaving the middle 90° or something, then lines that once were parallel start to bend.
When really looking for it I could see this even in normal FoV with ease, even if it cuts off the most noticable part. Played around with vertical alignment and all other parameters and didn’t get it away completely.
But then - I really don’t realize it when playing games and couldn’t have told that there were distortions in normal when being asked. More concentrated on the games it seems :slight_smile:

9 Likes

well if I had to explain it, I look forward like normal and in my peripheral above and to the sides you can tell the opjects seem to stretch larger as they leave your view.

even when trying not to look , it’s there in your peripheral. it goves the world an unstable feeling especially when walking around.

I havent had any distortion issues since last july. and suddenly with this game Alyx. it came back.

it might be the game in combo with firmware 258.

i have yet to downgrade too see if it goes away.

IPD 70, large Fov PP on

1 Like

I think most of this could be solved by allowing some type of real time distortion profile adjustment utility in PiTool.

because everybod could tweak it for their own liking

3 Likes

are you afraid that they’re going to “fix it” for everyone and end up screwing it up for you?

That was my fear for 9 months then it happened last week.

Hmmm, maybe this issue is only unique to Half Life Alyx. Probably some adjustments need to be made to in game settings or the headset.

how are you wearing it? cloth headstrap or DAS?

If DAS I notice that depending on how much i tighten it the screen angle tilts to differrent angles.

I am using the Vive DAS, but mine doesn’t do that. Combined with the comfort kit it works extremely well.

it might be the 3d printed adapters im using. the allow the arms of the DAS to tilt up too much, so for a while i switched to the cloth headstrap.

i downgraded pitool to the 253 firmware and alyx is 100% distortion free

6 Likes

My IPD seems to be about 62. With normal use, I can’t see any distortion at all. If I put extra foam on the facial interface to move it about 0.5mm further away so it doesn’t touch my nose, I get the full fishbowl effect. It really must be incredibly sensitive.

4 Likes

And all they would have to do to mitigate the issue way back was to include a few different pieces of foam in various thicknesses instead of ignoring it… Pieces that can be had (for the Vive) for a few dollars each… :wink:

1 Like

MAS should really have a dial like the vive for this

5 Likes