Is Pimax actually making the X? Or is everything on lockdown?

No I’m saying all Pimax models have imperfect lenses that give a large proportion of users with eye strain over longer periods of time. When you have both the Index and 5k+ and go from one to the other you realise which one has it right. Pimax should of put all effort into optics rather than throw in a higher res panel. The 5k+ was never optimised for wife FOV and even Pimax themselves recommended NORMAL over WIDE. So it boggles my mind why Pimax concentrate on a higher res HMD with the exact same drawbacks. Even the 8kX with mostly be used in Normal mode.

A 5k+ with optimised WIDE mode and less eye strain would of pleaded everyone. They would have to name it 5k++ :slight_smile:

If you believe US hardware companies are not at high risk of being severely hindered by Coronavirus, that is extraordinarily naive.

5 Likes

I’m not sure the MRTV experiences are totally fair. Half Life Alyx is hobbled on the 8KX by dynamic resolution scaling and other factors.

I’m pretty certain correctly configured and in other titles it’s going to be a lot better than the Index.

Still, it’s definitely true that the Index nails plug and play comfort that Pimax is lacking.

6 Likes

Its funny you say that. This is the problem with making promises with unrealistic dates. You would have rushed to get it out.

Would have been better just to say August 2020 and leave room for maximum quality.

The transparency of being a kickstarter is the reason you guys may feel pressured to make these early rushed release dates, which you can miss due to having no buffer time , which in turn makes Pimax look bad.

Its funny because, when I look at it objectively. It took valve nearly 4 years to release the knuckles, and when they did it could have been better. (click issues) The ergonomics are not great , it actually hurts a little bit to hold them and button placement is off. They could have used 1 more revision.

Pimax controllers if they come out in oct 2020 would mean only 3 years of development which is really good if you think about it. And I think if enough care is taken they controllers could be actually what the knuckles should have been.

the 8kx from concept to consumer is looking like 3 years as well which is not really that long considering its streets ahead of the competition in terms of tech.

…so I think the timing is okay personally, but the nature of kickstarter is that of course we will be disappointed waiting and maybe very desparate to get these things we paid for a long time ago, thats the difference between Pimax and those other companies. They can operate behind closed doors . Nobody knows what HTC is working on or Oculus and they havent promised us anything.

can u imagine when oculus first announced half-dome they took pre-orders for it 2 years ago. We’d be at their throats too.

4 Likes

That’s only about waiting time frustrations.

Pimax dropped many more balls, all balls, they are very good at dropping balls and dropping the same balls they just dropped and promised not to drop anymore

1 Like

You make it sound like its a simple task.

If things were this simple there would be a abundance of wide Fov hmd by now instead of miniscule Fov improvements since 2016.

1 Like

The problem with the pimax headsets is the extreme wide fov they chose and then even when they proved that it didnt work for the majority if users decided to advise everyone to use “normal” fov. If they actually ditched the “wide” fov and made the lenses for the “normal” fov then every pimax headset would be better for most people, less distortion, less pop-in in games, better sde, better clarity.
Instead, they advertised an fov of 200 degrees (which isnt even true anyway) and then made the widest fov they could manage the one thing they wouldnt compromise on, even though it massively compromised all of their other objectives.

Thats why no one else has bothered, with the cheap type of lenses they went with its not possible to make a headset that works for most people.

Everyone else is doing R&D on new lens types and making headsets that actually work in the meantime.

3 Likes

Absurd. There are only two reasons not to use Large FOV. Lack of VR SLi support, and getting softer rounded corners.

3 Likes

I agree with the point. going from normal to large was meh for me. I ended up using normal all the time. I felt the benefit was pretty minimum but with a heavy fps hit.

But going from a vive to a normal Fov pimax was quite phenomenal.

I ordered my 8KX in January immediately after trying it and being blown away by it at CES… That said with the way the economy with the current pandemic crisis is looking, who knows if Pimax as a company (like most other small companies) will survive the oncoming seemingly unavoidable unprecedented crash and my money invested waiting on my purchase could be lost (especially as some of you are saying it seems the 8KX is now the last of the priorities, which should be the first since it’s the most money people have invested into)… What are the options for getting a refund direct from pimax and does anyone suggest that is the safest thing to do right now? I have up to 180 days otherwise to get a refund via PayPal and will be forced to execute that refund if I don’t receive my 8KX before late June, but possibly earlier or do it now as who knows if even PayPal will survive what could happen to the economy very soon. . Just trying to be realistic and safe than sorry here…

I am hopeful VR will be one of the survivors of the economic shift, with everyone staying home.

7 Likes

The wide FOV is one of the main reasons I ordered an 8K X. That and because of the 4K resolution. If you watch all of the videos from the Pimax roadshow, everyone who tried the headset has been blown away by it and distortions were not noticeable by anyone including Sebastian. All you are doing geoffvader is speculating on something you have no expertise or knowledge in. I love my Index headset, but I do wish a lot of times it had a wider FOV.

@theSelf If the economy crashes, you’ve got more things to worry about than that. But even if it does crash, I think PayPal and all companies that cater to staying at home will do just fine and that includes Pimax.

3 Likes

Oh, you can’t hide anything from wife. ;9

6 Likes

I guess your fear of Pimax possibly going down is not unreasonable. But if anything has a chance to make it out of the door, it would be the 8KX; they do seem to focus on it and have seemingly abandoned other overdue deliveries, namely of the accessoires.

1 Like

Thanks all, but noone really knows what’s going to happen to the economy let alone pimax as this is unprecedented, but it’s not looking great… I’ll wait a little longer but may just get a refund sooner over later…I can always repurchase at a later time when things are looking better

1 Like

Actually I’m pretty sure this dude happen a long time ago. They had great lenses but they were too expensive, judging from some stuff MRTV said, IIRC. This was in a very early prototype of one of the Pimax’s.

I find large FOV pretty amazing when I can afford to run it. It’s the point where I feel almost totally immersed.
Personally the effect adds up much more than the
30 degrees or whatever it is extra.

Just wish I had a ton more graphics horsepower to do it justice.

2 Likes

No not quite, they said “improved” over the 5k/8k, not completely solved.

If you watch all the videos from CES a few years ago people said they were “blown away”, but my 5k+ is useless to me. I await with baited breath to see what “improved” means.

If you re-purchase later, you’ll lose your spot in the order backlog and might receive it a lot later. I’m personally not worried. I ordered in November by PayPal. China already has it under control and that’s where Pimax is based.

1 Like

Well you’ll just have to wait and see once people start receiving their 8K X and reviewing it. But based on VRgamerdude and a number of other independent reviewers the 8K X blows all the competition out of the water right now.

1 Like