Is it 200 degrees horizontal?

I also am not good enough at math.

The person who pointed this sphere aspect out to me told me that if it was 200 diagonally, then horizontal would actually be MORE than 200, but as I said, I don’t understand it.

Most likely, 200 is a rough estimate and the actual FOV will be different from person to person in any case, so worrying too much about 10% is probably pointless.
The same is true with Rift and Vive, BTW, both say 110, but every one says Vive is wider…
( actually, after looking a bit, apparently rift is supposed to be 110 diagonal, lol )
and someone measured the FOV of both and even Vive is not 110 horizontally in his measurements Optical Properties of Current VR HMDs | Doc-Ok.org

2 Likes

This is the same length line seen diagonally and horizontally. Notice the diagonal is bigger when seen horizontal.

(The numbers represent the length inside the rectangle)

But you don’t view things on a rectangle (even if that is how the image was originally generated - the lenses are distorting it), you view things from the inside of a sphere. Euclidean (2d) geometry doesn’t apply to spheres, approximations can be used for ‘small’ distances by considering them flat, but when you are viewing more than half the sphere, how can you consider that a ‘small’ distance.

I have a background in mathematics, albeit without a strong geometry basis. However I can find formulas on wikipedia, and using my understanding of the situation feel confident in applying and interpreting the results.

Simply put, finding the ‘greatest’ great circle distance between 2 points (given that the FOV is over 180 degrees), and therefore the viewable area between 2 distant points in the FOV, a diagonal FOV of 200 degrees causes a greater change in horizontal FOV than a horizontal FOV of 200 degrees.

1 Like

A stupid but effective way to mesure it is to mark a rectangle on a (big) ball around 180+ degree and use a filament to look whats longer, to put it from edge to edge horizontal or vertikal. I admit the fov is by far big enough and its from person to person different.

1 Like

This issue was raised earlier by me too. The fov is part of a max 360 degree curve around the person as illustrated in the scientific art piece above. So measuring a length diagonally is weird, even though it’s possible. What we need is horizontal and degrees of a circle

2 Likes

I indeed rarely read reddit threads no matter which subject, bei it VR, sports or whatever. There is an astonishing amount of folks whose favorite occupation seems to be being negative, complaining, ranting, demanding.
It seems to lean itself for people feeling they can exert some kind of power by trying to condemn or belittle the efforst of others in public.

With some of those, taking into account the attitude and language they expose, I cannot help but wonder what they achieve in their own life.

Complex, groundbraking projects do not always go straightfoward, and it is the tenacity, the ability to overcome adversity and remain flexible which often makes the difference between success and failure of a generally bright project idea. Some of the reactions on reddit suggest their authors have never been there - and I doubt, these guys will ever go there.

It is a shame, because reddit could be a great forum for completely open, unmoderated discussions while in a forum hosted by a company of the discussed product you will always run the risk of censorship by the moderators appointed by the company. But often they seem to be the better place for a constructive discussion nevertheless. Even the up-/down-voting does not seem to help control the negativity on some reddit threads. Perhaps because some of the moderate readers don’t even bother to go there anymore.

I have to admit I cannot even say if this applies to the Pimax-related threads as I stopped checking out reddit before that, for said reasons…

3 Likes

If the lenses remained the same size since amsterdam demo then it is definitely not 200 FOV as you have drawn it but closer to 170

@SweViver should be able to confirm this as he was there also… this is public knowledge, not NDA

2 Likes

I absolutely disagree. I was in Amsterdam too and fov was definitely more than 180

4 Likes

What I can say is that I did notice the boundaries when searching for them, so it did not fill out my entire FoV. If I hold my hands 90 degrees each side of my head, I can just about see them and a tiny bit beyond. So that would seem to be 180 between my two hands. I cannot recall anymore if it was more or about that but my guess would be that it probably was around 170-180 for me (remember, it depends on a couple of factors incl. the position (depth) of the eyes of the beholder).

Did it give me the impression of complete unrestricted view ? No, as I could see the boundaries when looking for the. Was it good enough ? More than that. And any further degree of FoV for me personally would be a waste of pixels which I’d rather have in the central area. Which is why I am quite excited about their 170 degrees option.

As Sweviver said, you can get all excited about the numbers, but I fear if you do that you miss the point. It is simply good enough unless you have a very specific use case where not noticing any faint boundaries goes above detail and clarity.

1 Like

It is said human max fov is about 220. So a little bit of black side bars won’t make it 170 is what I’m saying. Is it 200? I don’t know but it’s definitely not likely to be 180 or less.

Even if it is only 170 you are not going to be able to focus on anything past that anyway, you may see beyond 170 but focusing is a different matter.

Focus was not the issue, it’s the image in the peripheral instead of black bars that contributes to a wide fov experience

The peripheral is also very sensitive to movement so even if you can not focus on it, you are very aware of things moving in it.

That will be correct if you have your eyes in your neck, which appart to be funny and disgusting, your neck is the exactly center of the angle made with your arms-hands in 180 degrees.

Unfortunately, its wrong trying to measure with this trick unless you are taking care about this detail: your eyes are around 20 cm ahead the measurement center.

With the arms in 180 degrees It is really hard to get an idea and same measure will be different depending of the physical constitution of any one; some people have long arms, (it will correspond in less degrees), short arms (more degrees), different physical constitution; hoity hoity people will see their hands close to 180 degrees with the arms in 180 degrees, and if you have a really bad day or a neck problem your hands will be like in 240 degrees above your eyes, huge head in relation with the body = more degrees… and so on.

Even the distance from your pupil eyes to the lenses could give you even 10 degrees more, If you have access to an htc vive try to remove the foam and check what you can see with or without the foam,just getting your eyes close to the lenses. HUGE DIFFERENT.

I try the V3 in NYC and I made the same measurement with my arms, and taking care about this detail I will say that I saw around 200 degrees, knowing that with my hands in 180 degrees with my back I barely see my hands that should be like 220 degrees for me.

If you want to know the exact measurement you will need to use an app like the one in this threat: http://community.openmr.ai/t/real-o-virtuals-free-headset-test-tool/5748

But again, Even with that tool, If I see 200 degrees the person next to me could see 220. I DONT CARE, WHAT I CARE IS WITH PIMAX 8K I WILL GET LIKE ALMOST TWICE THE CURRENT HEADSETS FOV!!

What I meant is, THIS THREAD IS POINTLESS. Comon guys, forguet about FOV, Im sure that even with a little less I saw with the V3. I will be happy with even 150 FOV. With the V3 I didnt notice SDE, and NO GOOD RAYS. I dont think they are going to have now SDE and Good Rays.

The important point here, the real questions you guys must make to Pimax is what about the software, how is the status of the firmware version, what about the integration with SteamVR, Do you have PIMAX direct support from STEAM to make your headset run without your PIPLAY software even in example if the displays just gets 80 fps. Thats what you need to be worried about.

8 Likes

The problem is that we have been confused. Pimax talks about human vision having 220 degrees of FOV and then tells us that they will be 200 degrees in their glasses. The small nuance that they have avoided, is that when they talk about human vision and its 220 degrees, they are measured horizontally. But then in the image of advertising it is clearly seen how the 200 degrees that speak are diagonally, that in truth it would be about 170 horizontally.

3 Likes

Well… aren’t you in the right position to tell us what the truth is?

1 Like

That is one confusing image.

It clearly measures on the diagonal, but I’m fairly confidient that the 200° FoV is horizontal, not diagonal. Neither Vive or Oculus makes this clear in their specs either (at least the ones I found). However, here’s a quote from a fairly reliable source:

Source: https://www.vrheads.com/field-view-faceoff-rift-vs-vive-vs-gear-vr-vs-psvr

1 Like

Not with an NDA he isn’t unfortunately. We’ll find out eventually but would be nice if Pimax just told us. @deletedpimaxrep1?

2 Likes

From my reddit comment:

The original FAQ says Horizontal, along with other comments. Only a vid shows diagonal.
FAQ: http://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8k-vr-frequent-asked-questions/2958

“What is the FOV of Pimax 8K? The FOV of Pimax 8K is around horizontally 200 degrees, and vertically 120 degrees”

and 3rd comment down “Pimax 8K boosted FOV to 200 degrees horizontally”

And the answers to mine and other questions during KS: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

4 Likes

@spamenigma Thank you for finding an original quote!

By my rough calculations, that means that the 8K would have a diagonal FOV of ~233°.

3 Likes