Is it 200 degrees horizontal?

It’s marketing speak aka lies. Not having a go at Pimax here, I’m having a go at marketing. Just have a wander down the aisle of a supermarket and see how many packets of processed sugar have marketing on the packet about how healthy it is, ‘all natural’, high in ‘whatever sounds healthy’ etc.
Marketing is an art for lying just the right amount unfortunately. And unfortunately vr hasn’t escaped. Oculus and Vive never pioneered a standard of how fov would be measured and communicated.
Meaningful fov is horizontal and vertical. Meaningful is the last thing marketers want.

3 Likes

Rhe only headset that I found that claims clarity is StarVR claims 210 horizontal & 100? Verticle. But I would be curious if this is accurate or not. The only headset I think that could do better peripheral is Panasonic’s rough prototype with 4 fused displays & fuzed optics.

@neal_white_iii
I think the sphere aspect makes only a very small difference so IF its 200° diagonally then its more 185° horizontally (pythagoras) and IF its 200 horizontally then its more 215° diagonally?. But nevertheless, its biiiiig :slight_smile:

Like omg1973 and others said: its not an issue.

edit:

sensics monster with “only” 150° FOV (10 years old). Still 150° is a big step forward from 95° (rift) and 110° (vive/odyssey).

http://sensics.com/portfolio-posts/tiled-displays/

3 Likes

Pimax also talks about 90Hz… Brainwarp…

Pimax did do an apology letter to clarify the refresh issue a couple of days before the KS ended. Granted it was on Reddit and this forum but not Kickstarter which I don’t think was right.

LINK: http://community.openmr.ai/t/apology-letter-project-status-and-risks/3920

But that has seemingly been brushed under the carpet since we were told mid-December they were working on 2 solutions for the 90hz issue and would have a conclusion in March.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/ces-2018-8k-prototype-details/4802/5

I assume for now 80hz is it, any future news of more is a bonus.

As for brainwarp, we’re all still speculating what that is from yet another bad diagram shown at Kickstarter :slight_smile: I’ve got my best guess, but for that, I appreciate we need to wait. hopefully, they will surprise us!

This thread keeps on repeating itself, feels like I’m in edge of tomorrow where everything keeps on looping lol. Well time to mute I guess

1 Like

I’ll just say that I had been expecting roughly Rift CV1 resolution, with the 200° horizontal. In light of that, I am not entirely opposed to more of the screen being scooted forwards. :7

Man am I the only one that doesnt give a crap what the actual number is? 200, 190 or even 140 it still remains the undisputed king of fov. A position it wont give up for at least another 2 generations of headsets considering gen 2 of oculus and vive will probably only bump up to 140 max. People hwre and on reddit demanding apologies, ridiculous. Cant wait for the next community wide over reaction! :-1:

4 Likes

Who here demanded an apology? all that some of us backers who payed £xxx would like is clarification of if the FOV is 200 Horizontal or Diagonal. Simple! If you don’t care then why comment?

2 Likes

Reddit did and so have others on this very forum about this and other non issues. But I see that the topic of negativity has been discussed further up this thread so I’ll bow out.

1 Like

No your mistaken. Folks here have only asked for clarification. Sure they have posted pimax said horizontal at 200. But the pic shows diagonal.

But I don’t see any demands; well the odd user overly eager to know when its ready to ship. :smirk:

4 Likes

The biggest problem with VR/AR atm is no clear standards on spec reporting. This often makes headsets in some ways hard ti compare. I can tell you it’s a bit of a headache to find Brightness lumen/lux, colour gaumant(sp?) Etc

This is where the industry needs a bit of pressure to develop standards like Vesa etc.

2 Likes

Wearality is disappeared right now, but they ever launched a document about how to calculate their 150 fov.
If anyone interesting, you can read here.
https://zapdoc.tips/wearality-sky-field-of-view.html

1 Like