Inexpensive Speaker Replacement for the 8KX

Interesting as my print only required a very light filing on the very bottom edge to fit nice and tight because of my base layer expansion. But my final print fits well at 34.7mm. I am using the slim one and it has not fallen out. But I am going to add a couple of mm to the thickness and see how it works.

Sized_KC

2 Likes

Oh, I had printed the slim one at 34.6

.7 would have been more snug. but it would be a non issue with a 1 mm hole in the center.

Also i dont know if its possible to adjust this, but alot of filing could be reduced if you made the clip part ~1-2 mm shorter and round the edges.

as far as i can tell, most of the filing i end up doing to get it to fit is filing down the corners of the clips to make it rond like the clip part and about ~1-2mm from each end.

1 Like

Has anyone confirmed this? But I think its possible that the KDMAS is just the SMAS driver lowered to ear level with a plastic ear cup over it.

If this is the case I can imagine what @VoodooDE is talking about.

The SMAS driver is crap and can’t even handle Mariah Carey when she hit a high note. And has no chance in H3ll at delivering any bass.

even with my hands cupped over it. It sounded a bit better but as Voodoo said in his review. Without the hand cups it sounds “even worse” (meaning not good in the first place)

I think speaker itself is garbage. I can say for sure that even my quest and rift S deliver more compelling audio than the SMAS does and maybe even better then the KDMAS.

I wouldn’t play Pistol Whip with the SMAS ever.

4 Likes

Ok here you go . … . there is even a 1.25 mm hole but it will depend on your printer resolution. I redid the slim version to it’s final and like it the best.

Here is the fusion360 file; Pimax 8KX Sound Kit Spacer Slim by SideKick - Thingiverse

3 Likes

So after 10+ different prints. I managed to get it pretty much perfect.

I rounded the clip in part and sized it so that no filing is required.

link to the remix is here. Hopefully this saves someone some time, especially if you don’t have Rasps lying around.

Also @Sidekick1 how did you solve the problem with the original headphone jacks dangling there?

4 Likes

Nice - my last slim ones fit without filing but now they have more to chose from. Taped the original jacks up against the body of the headset.

2 Likes

Where do you get the picture of the print for thingiverse sitting on the grid?

2 Likes

Cura generated that when i looked in the folder it was there.

Only thing i wish was that there was a way to have the earcups tilt more to be parallel with your ear.

also the dangling smas headphone jack.

EDIT i literally had to learn F360 just to make that tiny edit. But now im hooked.

One could remove the thin rubber shield that exposes the little screws holding on the strap adaptor. redesign the spring system to fit inside the original speaker cup holes by attaching it to the spacer adaptor. Then they would fit closer . . . F360 is the best!

Thanks for the info on the Pic - I use Simplify3D with my printers so that is why I have never seen it . . .

EDIT @PimaxUSA confirmed the speakers arent the same in a direct response to me.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that on the thin foam, they kind of made the glasses cutout only partial, so I think it blocks light probably better than the thicker foam which has the cutout all the way through. Haven’t tried the thick one yet mostly because I want the bigger FOV that comes with being closer to the lenses, but also because of the cutout.

1 Like

Update. These amazing headphones were reviewed

After trying the G2 i came away more impressed with these. I love the bass on these as it feels like its moving the air for the low frequencies. its hard to explain.

The new model of these that works on the quest 2 have slightly different clips BTW

link

2 Likes

I ended up printing and installing the DAS completely as the 8KX would wobble a bit. The DAS is much more comfortable and the speakers are fine for the voice comms I use it for. Was a fun experiment though!

1 Like

what do you mean you printed the DAS?

1 Like

Vive DAS adapters I believe.

1 Like

Correct — The Vive DAS adapters rock for comfort with the 8KX.

2 Likes

BTW I am liking my Snorkel Fan mod for those long DCS missions!!

1 Like

hope its more comfortable than it looks :slight_smile:

for me the DAS was not comfortable at all. At one point I had switched back to the OG cloth strap.

1 Like

Way more comfortable to me - fits more like a well fitted helmet with more areas holding in place. Plus, much less wobble when moving your head than the supplied system as well as more adjustment. I did 3D print the hinges that supplied more lower range but it could be I used one for over a year with my 5k plus first and that is what I am used to.

The balance weights made a large difference also (to me). But every head is different !

2 Likes

Interesting end to this?

Now do I go with these add on headphones, or do I move my DAS from my soon to be sold 5K+ over to my 8KX?

Personally, I do like the DAS, and found it works great. Not sure I like the huge bulk of the new SMAS.

What to do?

1 Like