Inexpensive Speaker Replacement for the 8KX

Great design overall although they are not “on ear” but rather “over ear” because of the thickness of the 3d print plug combined with the headphone adjustment piece so that the cans sit slightly angled to the ear rather than perpendicular. No complaints though other than some vigorous sanding to make things fit snug. Sound is very decent and a HUGE improvement over SMAS but not as much Bass as the Vive DAS, since they sit off-ear. I like them so much, for now, that I’m not even considering the DMAS or KDMAS. Awesome job and kudos to the designer.

2 Likes

I meant SMAS. what does the S in front stand for shiity?

I wonder what was different with the psvr?

Standard.

PSVR is likely mainly setup to power more of an Earbuds type headphones.

sound was dirt & quite, on quest 1 it was clean & bassy, since Q2 got one jack I curious how it will be there

1 Like

So I was messing around and made the spacer a bit less protruding. I like it better as the speaker lays a bit flatter. Remember it is a tight fit and if you get any base layer expansion you may need light filing on the base edge or resize it a tiny bit in your slicer and use up to a 2mm screw to hold it in. Here is my remix;

3 Likes

perfect, thank you. Printing now :+1: :beer:

1 Like

@Heliosurge I appreciate the way you have always put a “like” on pretty much every upbeat/productive or positive post pretty much since the kickstarter, which shows your dedication to this forum and promotes a good VR community vibe. So cheers, put a "like on this :grin: :+1:

7 Likes

Thanks often I think I read too much here. Probably a form of ocd.

:beers::grin::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

6 Likes

:rofl: I know the feeling. Our cell phones have us trained pretty good, the hardware must be female in gender :crazy_face: or is it google and facebook’s built-in algorithms having their way.

2 Likes

A lot of the time, I refrain from saying a lot on these forums, so the balance should even out :rofl: :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Smartphones do make it very easy to stay looped in. :laughing:

2 Likes

looped in, addicted, connected to the matrix… :innocent: :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know how some people go into such a “wikipedia of posting” that must take hours to compose and fat-check so to speak,. Pretty impressive, but I just don’t have the energy or time for that sort of deep diving on a topic as well as not having the technical background of a lot of folks here. Quite fascinating to behold the long-form posts/counter points that some conjure up here in passionate defense of their knowledge, beliefs,. or counterpoints. Can make for some interesting or knowledgeable reading at the very least.

3 Likes

Balance in general is difficult to maintain especially with a bit of alcohol. :laughing:

2 Likes

It my birthday today, so there is no chance the alcohol is going to be in the low quantity. :upside_down_face: :innocent: :sunglasses: :ok_hand: :+1:

3 Likes

Happy Birthday! …:sparkles::birthday::tada:

3 Likes

I printed 7 of the previous model to finally get to a fit that I felt was snug.

I’m happy when I set the width scale to
34.6mm fits nice and tight and is hard to pop out but can be done with your fingers.

the 34.7mm is very secure and requires i use clamp to pull out.

Both cause no damage to the MAS.

And with @VoodooDE’s recent review of the DAS im thinking this is easily the best way to go if you want good quality audio.

EDIT: no Fusion 360 file on this one?

Ok so i printed the slim version and I think i will stick to the thicc one.

The slim one doesn’t seem to stay in as strongly. So unless i put a screw in i’m pretty sure the headphone would fall out.

1 Like

What about me? I do that too.

Craves attention. :slight_smile: jokes

1 Like

I have done just some Audio tests on the kdmas(my 5k+ is having some issues with pitool; may move it to the 8k).

@neelrocker might be right with something with the Vision headset not mixing right with Kdmas speakers or he might need to also try the y cable.

Without the Cups the sound is okay; likely better than SMAS. However as we know it doesn’t isolate.

With Cups the sound is minimally on par with DAS maybe better. Need to do some A B Testing.

However if you have a narrow head the kdmas with or without cups is not likely going to be a great experience as there is very little adjustments to press against the ear. Only a bit of rotating at top of audio hinge.

Which brings me to the comfort kit. Even with the large foam the eye glasses cutouts leaks light! So folks like @asampal is definitely going to have issues with this. This facial interface seems to be made for pretty wide heads. Some foam should fix it. Haven’t tested visuals yet.

2 Likes

Sorry, i’m late, but congratulations with your birthday! Hope you had a good one without too much of an hangover :slight_smile:

1 Like