HTC is back! Vive pro 2 with 2.5k * 2.5k per eye @ 120 hz

Well by the res boost over the g2 it really should shine with clarity. Ultimately we will need to wait for folks like yourself to give it a good workout evaluation.

Hopefully the Vive Pro 2 doesn’t have audio issues on launch like it’s predecessor did.

Preordered mine :slight_smile:

Why ? Because its sharper than g2 and has bigger fov than g2 ( with fov mod ) . And g2 is already sharper than 8k X .

Second reason : the 3d effect is better than pimax and their “dmas” is already build in :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

HTC does not even state the IPD range, just “IPD adjustable”. What the heck is that supposed to mean? They can’t even properly describe the headset.

I wouldn’t read into 120° too much. The original Vive Pro has already quite small visible FOV despite reporting larger rendered values.

4 Likes

So being out June 3rd I assume the normal list of tubers have it already?

Please do a comparison on glare compared to the Index. It will be interesting if they paid the rights for exact same lenses or developed their own :grinning:

2 Likes

MRTV bought his. I don’t think HTC has given out any review headsets.

4 Likes

The Focus 3 was announced as 120 horizontal during the ViveCon presentation, and it looks as though the Vive Pro 2 is using the same lenses and screens so it would make sense that is also 120 horizontal.

2 Likes

just preordered mine (the Vive Pro 2). Really looking forward to receiving it!

4 Likes

for the Focus 3 it states 57–72mm on the roadtovr website. If I remember correctly, you have 72? So you at least have a new option now :wink:

Agreed. I’m expecting Vive org FoV. Which kind of s*cks, but oh well, it’s not like we have much choice :slight_smile: I like my 8kX but it just comes with quite a few downsides, just as my G2.

The PPD of these new Vive headsets are just unmatched in the consumer space. And because of the Vive Pro we know HTC is able to create VERY solid headsets. So I’m excited!

3 Likes

The Pro 2 has a 6.7 megapixel display per eye, although spread over a larger fov compared to the G2’s fov and 4.7 megapixel display per eye.

I’m glad to see another company besides Pimax which produces consumer VR headsets focusing on extra FOV, not just cramming extra resolution and butchering the fov to 70 degrees in the process.

Varjo has a 9.7 megapixel display per eye, so we are edging closer to human eye resolution (80~PPD) at a pretty fast rate.

2 Likes

Also if the Pro 2 really has 120 horizontal fov, then that’s 20 degrees more than index, and 135 diagonal fov over the Indexes 115 diagonal.

That means that with the lense adjustment you could bring perceived fov up to 150 degrees, 20 degrees more than Index. If that’s true then this might be the High Res Artisan competitor I was waiting to buy.

In saying this, if Pimax rereleased the 8KX with Varjo’s stacked lense technology, or a newer Artisan I’d probably be happy with that headset for a very long time.

1 Like

I read online just before the IPD range for the VP2 is 57-67mm

1 Like

Wow even after you are recieving the amazing varjo 3?:wink:

4 Likes

Haha yeah I wonder how these 2 compare. We’re still in the stage where no headset is perfect and each have their own shortcomings.

6 Likes

I wish the vive pro 2 had the Hp reverb G2 speakers…

3 Likes

Yeah one of the few things I really like about the G2. But honestly too many things started bothering me about that headset and the biggest one is the hardware problems. I’m not sure if it’s because I did an extreme hardware IPD mod (pushing the panels outside) or that I’m just having an issue that a lot of other G2 users seem to have, but I’m getting a lot of times that there’s no image in the headset, together with an error in the system, not sure what code was it… This happened since the beginning but the interval increased and lately I had to fiddle 10 minutes before I could even use the headset. That’s worse than Pimax ever was!! So that’s really the biggest reason I’m done with the G2. I’m short on time and when I have time I don’t want to fiddle 10 minutes before I can even play

I’ve read a lot complaints about the buggy software and hardware in the G2. Really too bad, if it would work flawlessly it would probably still be my to go headset. But lately I just pick my 8k-X if I have some time to play. And honestly, while in the past I needed to fiddle with Pimax too, lately it just works every single time I pick it up!

6 Likes

agree Adios Pimax! permanent beta tester…aaa baker i meant

1 Like

This kind of crap is what makes me think that somehow Facebook has obtained exclusive access to the new Qualcomm chips. Everyone else seems to have been shut out even tho 4-5 manufacturers were promising to release products using it. HTC’s marketing makes absolutely no sense unless you figure that the only reason they were given access to it was by making the promise not to touch Facebook’s market of the Q2. I wonder when the exclusivity ends. Probably not for a couple more years, from the sound of it. Sad and frustrating.

What CPU/motherboard do you have? I heard some people have had problems with certain chipsets (especially AMD) since they can’t deliver the full voltage of the usb 3 spec. I haven’t had any issues with my G2 but my brother had similar issues to you until he used a usb port that had a different controller than his AMD chipset.

1 Like

Let‘s keep it at 6,19, shall we - still impressive.

At the same time it’s a bit scary, my GPU will boil and settings have to be tuned down a bit as compared to the G2. I am curious if this trade-off will pay off at the end; not sure what to think, especially if the FoV is not substantially larger than the G2‘s. Will I even appreciate the greater detail, or will the lesser quality setting in the game subtract more than the greater resolution adds ?