HTC is back! Vive pro 2 with 2.5k * 2.5k per eye @ 120 hz

Honestly I was not expecting a positive surprise from HTC after their previous disasters … but it seems they just announced an awesome headset:

Will definitely buy this one!

9 Likes

What hmd are you wanna take? Pro 2 or Focus 3?

1 Like

Well my first reaction was the Vive Pro 2. But the Focus 3 comes with wireless tethering … That sounds interesting too. Though no SteamVR tracking it seems…

2 Likes

Always interested to see new HMDs. I’ve had an HTC Vive before and enjoyed it before going to the Pimax 5K. Will wait for hands on reviews before making a decision.

Mmmm this video says the Focus 3 comes in an enterprise only package (ie compulsory subscription to business support). Hopefully that is wrong or later they will offer a stripped down version for consumers.

2 Likes

Yea it looks realy good! only i wished it was oled…
But i think i want one(if there no index 2 is coming)

1 Like

Yeah the change from OLED to LCD is a bit of a bummer. But this resolution is going to be awesome. I always liked the Vive Pro (except for the price), comfort was simply the best, so I’m excited!

3 Likes

Pro 2 and Focus 3 have the same resolution only different refresh rate and wireless?

It seems so indeed … Not sure which one to choose …

I think for simracing 120hz will be more important than wireless

1 Like

I updated my post above but it appears the Focus 3 comes in an enterprise only package (ie compulsory subscription to business support). Hopefully that is wrong or later they will offer a stripped down version for consumers.

1 Like

They say that the wireless module will work on the VP2 in 90Hz mode but don’t know if it’ll work on the full resolution… :wink:

The Vive Wireless Adapter will support up to 90Hz on Vive Pro 2, though it isn’t clear if it will support the headset’s full resolution (we’ve reached out to HTC for more details).

3 Likes

Just noticed they claim it to be the first headset to utilize Display Stream Compression (DSC):

HTC says that Vive Pro 2 is the first headset to support Display Stream Compression, allowing it to handle the huge 719MP per-second throughput on DisplayPort 1.2 when running at full resolution and framerate.

That’s not right, is it @PimaxUSA?

Isn’t that what enables 90Hz on the 8KX?

2 Likes

i take the htc vive pro 2 :wink:

I’m always really excited to see new VR headsets, the more the merrier. This is a clear jump over the original Vive Pro.

On DSC, yeah that’s been implemented in production devices since last summer at significant volume so that claim would not be accurate. I imagine some of our work on that technology together with partners smoothed the entrance of new devices like this one.

I also noticed they quote the FOV in diagonal so real measurements will almost certainly come in considerably less just like the Index “130” measurements ended up around 109. This will probably be less fov than the index but at considerably higher resolution than the index.

On the resolution front it’s 2,448 x 2,448 per eye vs. In comparison we have 3840x2160 per eye (spread over a wider fov) on an 8KX so the PPD is probably 8KX ish but probably less than the G2. If the FOV turns out to be less than we think it the PPD could actually be higher than the G2. It also uses a new duel element fresnel lens which will allow a high panel utilization and less software distortion correction (should help both performance and resolution) and that is quite exciting.

The biggest innovation is probably that it remains compatible with their wireless adapter - which is quite amazing. Update Note: It is indeed compatible with the adapter but requires a giant resolution reduction to make use of it. So the biggest innovation is probably the dual element lens.

Overall I think it’s great to see HTC continue to upgrade their lineup. I had the Vive-Pre and that along with my original Oculus Rift and loved them.

What really made VR a “reality” for many of us were those two original devices.

10 Likes

Isn’t G2 2160x2160 per eye?

Never had the Rift but I still own my “late” Vive (and my 5K+) even though I mainly use the 8KX (and randomly the original Quest)… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

How’s the wireless adapter for the 8KX coming along? Any news? Would a wireless adapter support the full FOV?

3 Likes

It is. I’m more curious about their distortion profile. For my G2, 100% steamvr which ends up around 3100x3100 to get a clean image so if this is more optimized it might be able to run at 100% and 120hz.

2 Likes

Vive Pro 2 has a greater vertical resolution than both the 8KX and the G2, and a greater overall resolution vs the G2, so the G2 isn’t competing at all and the 8KX now has a great competitor at almost half the price.

Will Pimax consider making a headset with stacked displays and lenses, like an improved artisan which has comparable PPD to the Varjo to compete with the Vive Pro 2, Varjo and the G2?

Otherwise I’m not sure and am a bit concerned how Pimax will continue to stay relevant in this industry which continues to move ahead so fast.

Even 3k X 3k resolution per eye displays in an artisan like headset would be great to see with that extra fov over the Vive Pro 2 and Varjo if stacked displays isn’t possible.

6 Likes

Seems to me all three devices should by rough estimation be a very similar amount of pixels per degree (low twenties), given their respective resolutions, over their respective fields of view.

If Varjo’s numbers are free of the usual fudging, a device that only used their context displays, and skipped the whole focus display bit, would still be a considerable resolution improvement on the three.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s fully compatible with the wireless adapter: “*VIVE Wireless Adapter supports 2448 x 1224 resolution and 90Hz refresh rate when used with VIVE Pro 2. 3264 x 1632 resolution support coming soon.”

Also, the 120FOV is being thrown around as both diagonal and horizontal depending on the source, and I’m afraid it’ll be less FOV than an Index…if so…no thanks for me.
Edit: @mixedrealityTV says that HTC told him it’s 120Horizontal…but I still want someone to measure, lol.

1 Like