HTC is back! Vive pro 2 with 2.5k * 2.5k per eye @ 120 hz

The Focus and the pro 2 have the same panel resolution, but the pro 2 can only do half resolution when using the wireless adapter. They haven’t said anything about the focus wireless other than that it would stream over wifi but not at launch

I slightly disagree. HighRes and big FoV is mandatory for better immersion.
Only upgrades to 8KX accepted from my side. My 5K is no longer in use since i have obtained the 8KX.
For wireless we need 5G or better, of course I would pay for such a solution, even as an upgrade kit.
In the meantime I would appreciate DP2.0 for higher fps and lesser compression.

1 Like

I don’t know. The whole reveal seemed like marketing spin.

Its basically the VivePro with higher resolution.

Don’t get me wrong the res bump is nice but that price is just the headset.

Pretty sure the FOV is still nothing special. Probably has an asterisk like the Index.

I think the focus 3 is much more appealing. At least visually. We’ll have to wait and see if they improved that cosmos tracking.

2 Likes

According to roadtovr, it should have “Dual element Fresnel lenses”. It sounds more like Index lens than the old venerable Vive / Vive pro low density Fresnel.

I wonder if it will suffer from the same effect as Index (stray light creating “liquid” shades). If it will support my IPD, I guess I might have a new candidate for my collection :slight_smile:.

120° diagonal is just too last decade though.

5 Likes

The things I don’t like about Pimax headset are:

1. Comfort. (To me it’s not as comfortable as I would have like, a bit heavy front and I had to mod by putting weight on the back. The FOV is great but sweet spot need to be in exact place to get clarity).
  2. IPD problem. This is the single biggest failure. Enough said!
  3. Distortion. Not a big deal but it may be just the type of lenses they’re using that also distorted the image somewhat overall as you adjust the headset.
  4. Software conflict with SteamVR. I can’t remember how many times I have to close either Pitool or PE or SteamVR to get this damm thing to load up the game. There is always “something” that went wrong and that you have to restart or reopen. Sometimes it doesn’t load and then you found out that SteamVR for whatever reason jack up the resolution from what it was before. Why did it do that? Software conflict?

Like I said before, since I invest a lot of money into this device…I plan to use it for awhile but will change it when better headset come out. Maybe by that time, Vive Pro 3 will come out and I won’t be looking back lol. Adios Pimax!

3 Likes

Actually the pixel utilization in the X is very high. Probably higher than even some of the latest headsets.

2 Likes

I did not know that, if true that is indeed a massive drawback to the wireless / Vive Pro 2 combo.

3 Likes

Main question is does Vive Pro 2 will have better clarity than 8kx and will we be able to see far details more clear in iRacing or ACC?

I have a bad feeling that picture in Pro 2 will be close to pimax 8k+ which in simracing was terrible bad.

I fear you misunderstood him: I believe he was referring to the fact that the majority of users don‘t choose large but one of the smaller FoV settings, mostly due to the distortions eating up the gain to a degree rendering it rather pointless to spend computing power on it. Still the 8KX is faring well in terms of the numbers game. I wish it didn‘t have the PP demand which made it come in second place in my personal comparison with the G2 for e.g. Elite Dangerous.

On the wireless data throughput question, that is an interesting one indeed. I have pre-ordered the Vive Pro 2 partly because being able to upgrade it to wireless would be a big deal to me, so I will watch this space…

2 Likes

One thing I really like about my G2 is the depth/3D effect. No one headset I’d before this made the cars and tracks have that feel. Other sets often felt like 2 monitors pressed up against my eyes. The G2 feels like I’m in the environment. I don’t know what HP did to achieve that but hope others follow. @Djonko maybe you might have an idea since you’ve gone through so many headsets?

2 Likes

Diagonal 120° same square res panels like G2 only with a bump in res.

So it’s FoV will be similar to G2 but with higher res and higher Hz.

In that regard still disappointing as it sounds like it will not bump the FoV not even towards the Index.

The Res Bump is more significant as it will have much improved ppd/sppd. The 8kX res is spread across the 160° wide FoV. Where as you pointed out the Vive Pro 2 is advertising 120° diagonal; with having 2448×2448 will likely put it’s Horizontal FoV in line with G2 though maybe at 100°.

So we would need to compare the 8kX res target for Potato (100° wide?) & Small at 120° wide.

While overall the Vive Pro seems nice on many fronts I am curious why HTC is not trying to improve horizontal FoV to match minimally the Index at 109 wide to more appropriately 120 to 130 wide(though for that we need Rectangular panels vs squares; width needs to be greater than height).

The increase in vertical res over 2160(+388) should help make this headset really crispy.

The DSC claim of being first was mildly amusing though.

1 Like

I would say it is more competing with G2 and the Index(though not in terms of FoV). Why? 1:1 panels 120 diagonal is around 100 horizontal.

Pimax is a WFoV headset. The Vive Pro 2 is not.

Normal is the average choice and is considerably bigger at 140 wide. Even Small is considerably larger than other headsets. So on that it is puzzling that HTC has not even aimed for 120 wide. As there using the same 1:1 screens similar to G2 the FoV is likely to be around the same or a touch more.

2 Likes

Why are you assuming it’s 120 degrees diagonal? MRTV said the HTC Vive President told him it is 120 degrees horizontal. However Sebastian seems skeptical of that claim, and because HTC doesn’t specify whether it’s horizontal on their website, leads me to believe they are covering up for an unremarkable 120 diagonal. It would just be weird they’d market that as “Wide FOV”

9 Likes

Read The Article @Djonko posted(RoadToVR). It specifies Diagonal. Which seems more likely than wide as it like g2 is using square 1:1 panels and we know that the G2 is limited by FoV because of this. I suspect like the Index people are presuming the FoV is 120 wide as many folks presumed the index was 130 wide due to up to 20° more FoV.

So the question is. Is RoadToVR given posted the proper specs vs MRTV? Math wise it seems like 120 diagonal is legit.

Nowhere in the HTC advertisement vid clip does it say 120° horizontal.(in article)

It does say “Full 120° FoV” then next line mentions Horizon. So likely people mistook Horizon with Horizontal.

5 Likes

It’s possible roadtovr has it wrong because “diagonal” is never specified on HTC’s official website specs.

Here’s why I think its likely horizontal:

• If MRTV’s info is accurate, that the President told him it’s horizontal. It would look really bad if people who bought the headset later find out HTC lied.
  • I looked at the lenses on the Vive Pro 2 showcased on their website and they look pretty big. The vertical FOV looks similar to a Pimax headset. So since resolution is a perfect square 2448x2448, it could be 120 degrees horizontal AND vertical. But they advertise horizontal because thats the number most people care about.
  • I don’t think they’d be talking about wide FOV and “seeing more than before” if it is a standard 120 diagonal. As that would be setting up for buyer’s remorse and word would spread its diagonal.
1 Like

There is also a good discussion on the FoV marketring confusion here

4 Likes

The reddit topic goes over several parts where people presumed Horizontal. Other than MRTV’s discussion no where has HTC stater Horizontal.

Expand your Horizons and other similar expressions.

It wouldn’t be the first time a company representative misunderstood a question or the marketing material. Valve was smart and let people presume. If HTC President made this error; yes it will start a bad shtstorm. Much like when they rolled out the Vive Pro’s selling price just before release.

2 Likes

That’s true. HTC doesn’t have a very good reputation for headset releases. They’ve kept important specs secret in the past only for us to find out the headset is disappointing and underwhelming.

Once I receive the headset I’ll know and also see whether it really is sharper than G2 with equal clarity. Worst case scenario, I can sell it.

5 Likes