HTC is back! Vive pro 2 with 2.5k * 2.5k per eye @ 120 hz

I think Pimax could repair their reputation and offer a killer headset just by doing 3 things to the headset @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

1. Implement the Extreme IPD mod increase the minimum hardware IPD range on any new headset to allow for 55mm adjustment without software settings

2. Make a depth setting for lenses on face gasket like the Vive Pro 2 to remove the need for having different face foams for different face shapes,

3. Updated lenses to reduce magnification and distortion at the edges by using older lense versions.

Meanwhile work on making Pimax experience more stable and improving support and customer service.

All of the above with stacked displays like Varjo has, or on a 2.5k X 2.5k or 3k display per eye or on an OLED would be an instant sell for me too.

5 Likes

So 8kx is still a king of clarity and sharpness in customer segment.

Is there anything between 8kx and varjo vr-3? ($1000 - $4000 range)?

I think this goes to the hp reverb g2 for sure,exept the field off view off course!

7 Likes

How come? G2 got lower resolution and I read that 8kx is bump up after reverb clarity…

1 Like

I’m still waiting for the MRTV 8KX review lol

This will be a turn around if HTC take the crown for clarity. Pimax will only have FoV left.

i have both,but the Hp reverb G2 has far more clarity and pop…

10 Likes

Some simmers are saying the G2 is bad because outside the sweetspot is way too blurry and that’s also my biggest problem, you have to move your head constantly instead of simply looking with your eyes.

Are you a simracer? How is the picture outside of sweetspot?

1 Like

Fov for sure, but my g2 is clearly sharper than my 8kx. If the HTc can get the colors close to G2, have a decent fov and the same clarity it’s going to be a winner, imo.

4 Likes

In the ViveCon presentation, the HTC chairman said that there were no service fees for the Focus 3.

1 Like

i needed to mod the G2 to come closer to the lenses,and now the sweetspot is very good for me…

1 Like

Are you talking about FOV mod?

Where did you get it? eBay?

Well, I think that we don’t use all the pixels in the 8kx and most of us use the normal FOV, I think. So in the real world we use much less pixels than those figures. When will we have a real solution for the eyetracking? Mine is still waiting for a good driver and speed without lag. Thanks.
I agree that the wireless with that resolution is great!!

1 Like

Yep - if physical constraints allow it, one would think it well worthwhile to have as extensive an IPD range as possible.

…or already the old Oculus Rift DK1 (not CV1, alas), and first Vive; Absolutely! There were questions and speculations on this forum before the P8k Kickstarter finally yielded product, about whether eye relief adjustment is not an absolute requirement for a canted screen HMD, and will the P8k turn out to have it, please?

One might think there would have been enough time between then and now, that something like that might have been acted upon.

Note that reduced magnification tends to come with increased focal distance, which results in a larger HMD. -I happen to have right here, next to me, a “throw-some-junk-together-in-a-bucket-stir-vigorously-and-let’s-see-what-comes-out” abomination, held together with gaffer’s tape, that per eye combines one of these: LQ079L1SX01 7.9 inch lcd display For Pad &Tablet with Driver Board 1536*2048 MIPI TO Dedicated driver board|Tablet LCDs & Panels| - AliExpress …with one one +10 and one +4 (stacked together) of the largest of these: Close Up Macro Filter +1 +2 +4 +10 Close UP 37MM 40.5MM 43MM 49MM 52MM 55MM 58MM 62MM 67MM 72MM 77MM for Canon Nikon Sony Camera|macro filter|52mm macro filtermacro filter 67mm - AliExpress, and the thing absolutely dwarfs the already quite huge p8k/p5k form factor, and outweighs a freight train. :7

(To pre-empt any questions that may arise: The botch job mentioned above is not a VR headset - just a pair of cheap screens and closeup photography lenses set edge-to-edge; The displays are bad of course: fairly low resolution, low framerate, no low persistence or even synchronisation; I have only ever run one screen in the thing at the time, because it needs two HDMI ports, and my monitor uses one of the two on my graphics card; I could never write a driver anyway (…although, if I could somehow split an output image into two, sent to two separate output ports, maybe I could reflash my old broken Vive with fake values for the abomination, and graft it itself on, in order to steal its tracking… :P) ; The lenses are canted 25° and because of this (given my head/nose dimensions allows me to get quite close in this tailored setup, even without nose cutouts in the lenses (my IPD is 59mm)), deliver what I without having made so much as a shadow of a real measurement estimates to around 180° (actual - not advertising numbers) horizontal FOV for both eyes combined, and probably a little bit more stereo overlap than I’ve had with any real headset. The lower magnification of the (conventional plano-convex) lenses does give me a good bit larger an area of decent focus than I’ve ever experienced before, but I do sacrifice both a fair bit of sharpness and resolution in the overlapping area, to gain FOV – my field curvature compromise cants the screens 12.5° less than the lenses.)

2 Likes

The G2 is definitely sharper than the 8k-X. On the 8k-X I still see SDE albeit very minimal. On the G2 that’s really gone. And this Vive Pro 2 is going to be even sharper so that’s definitely exciting

2 Likes

Yeah for sure. The G2 just has too many downsides that after a while really started irritating me. If these new Vive headsets offer better comfort, better reliabitily, better tracking and even better resolution, then G2 is going to be game over

2 Likes

No i took complete the facegasked off,and put some vr cover inside…bigger field of view and sweetspot for my eyes…

1 Like

Huh, no I think the Pro 2 will be more sharp. I’m quoting the WIRELESS resolution from your reply.

1 Like

It’s a bit weird that the Focus is much more accessible to the average consumer but it’s only being sold to businesses (you can’t even preorder on htc’s page, has a form to fill out with your business information and VR project instead). At first I was excited about getting the Vive pro 2 because of the wireless, but then saw it’s only at half resolution, which isn’t worth it IMO. The Focus can do streaming wireless but not at launch. So the pro 2 would basically just be a replacement for my G2 with a bit better res and FOV. Hopefully they get the colors and brightness at least up to par with it.

1 Like

What do you mean? Both have the same resolution?