8K X Occasionally Blacks out for a few seconds (Potentially Solved, EMI Ground Loop/ Interference likely the cause)

But the 8kx is running 4k x 2 at 90Hz! So the bandwidth is being pushed more than other headsets.

2 Likes

I was using 75hz also - same thing. Downsampling - same thing.
I bet the Vive Pro 2 wont have this issue

And using the 5k Super pushing the supersampling just as high on the resolution and no blackouts either.

1 Like

That’s a totally different thing.

I think it’s a bandwidth or panel (or controller for it) overdrive issue.

Supersampling doesn’t affect either.

Resolution + refresh rate sent doesn’t change when changing resolution in the rendering pipeline.

EDIT: It might also be a power issue but if that’s the case, I don’t understand why it doesn’t work when using a USB charger attached to the USB 2 (power only) cable.

EDIT2: Plus Display Stream Compression (DSC) is used on the 8KX to achieve 90Hz so it might (hopefully) also “just” be a driver issue that can be ironed out by Nvidia and Pimax in a joint effort.

1 Like

Thats what i think - it could be something driver/firmware-level issue

But its definitely a problem with the 8K X and Nvidia gpu’s in general it seems. 3 people i know have now sold off their 8kx hmd’s because of this. Im still holding onto one but i dont know if i will.

I do think it could be bandwith issues where it overloads bandwith and caused the blackout for a few seconds but i wrote support back again to see if there was any updates and asked them to try an RMA (this would be a 4th 8kx i would be trying) and they said they have a meeting on monday to discuss my issue and would get back to me then

2 Likes

Does anything else use DSC?

1 Like

HTC states that Vive Pro 2 is the first to utilize it (guess they “forgot” Pimax 8KX)… :grin:

Not sure if other Pimax headsets besides the 8KX have used it though?

Maybe @PimaxUSA knows for sure.

1 Like

Oculus Quest uses it and ARM Processors i believe had it before HTC - i remember reading this and posting about it in discord too.

2 Likes

If it was a driver issue then wouldn’t this also be an issue for those HMDs?

1 Like

I dont mean it in that sense. I mean there’s something conflicting between Pitool, the firmware, and how it works with Nvidia’s firmware.
We do know for a fact that there’s an Nvidia issue that’s been present for a few months now with SteamVR causing lagging and such, and with the most recent nvidia firmware updates they found a temporary fix but you can’t use gpu monitoring software.
Coincidentally after they implementing this fix ( nvidia firmware 461.33 and after) - the 8k x headsets no longer work at 90hz either.

It does seem that something is there that may be causing it and may even be related to the way the pimax 8kx works with the nvidia drivers - but im grasping at straws because i have no knowledge of how it works. It’s just very coincidental stuff i thought might be correllated to it.

3 Likes

Yes Arm Processors had DSC long before pc gpus. Pimax had originally thought they might have been able to use DSC to unlock 4k Res on the p4k; however a few things including Nvidia/Amd gpus didn’t support DSC. This at that time was Arm gpus.

1 Like

Hello,

The tech team is trying to recreate the blackout issue, this would help to resolve.
But they failed to do, and figuring another solution.

We suggest them to contact with you again, to get all the logs and setup, assuming this could be helpful.

3 Likes

This is getting no where it seems

3 Likes

Giving them full details on your pc if you haven’t already may indeed help.

Ie cpu, ram(vendor speed) gpu vendor and driver. Power supply etc…

Peripherals and software that maybe running.
Program settings i.e. for pitool, iracing, steam and gpu.

There test machines maybe too clean to create the condition to cause a blackout.

@PimaxQuorra are the techs testing the games like Iracing playing online?

1 Like

Yup, they will be testing with games or other apps.

2 Likes

9900KS@5.0 all cores
32gb@4000mhz
nvidia 3090 FE or EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 (both happened)
asus maximus xi extreme motherboard

It’s happened in iRacing and Star wars Squadrons once as well (in the menus).
I already gave all this info to the support ticket that’s been on going from the beginning of april.

steamVR1.16.10
Pitool 270
firmware 2.1.255.271

Either 75hz or 90hz - happens in both

2 Likes

Your memory; what is the specs n vendor?

I highly doubt that the memory would cause the HMD to fail intermittently with just the display panels. This is an internal issue in the HMD it self, maybe driver issue in regards to how it handles the DP signal from Nvidia cards. (don’t think I’ve heard of any AMD users with issues)

2 Likes

Memory would be trident-z royal

1 Like

I agree with this i think thats the case

2 Likes

Support just sent me a new firmware to test. Ill try that one but they have no been able to reproduce the blackouts so nothing is going to change with this one although ill try it just for giggles

1 Like