HTC Cosmos lens Mod

I think you should consider a cosmos and mod it. The clarity/colours are awesome and for me is far better than the G1 I had briefly. I do agree the G2 looks very good if your ok with the tracking limitations.

2 Likes

I quite like wmr controllers for many things including flight sims and if i wanted to use vive wands or knuckles ( when the wands break ) use my old vive headset’s controller tracking and space calibrator software . so no problemo there .
I read that people choose the index over the cosmos and then other’s choose the modded vive pro over the index , I never bothered with the index or cosmos and really don’t know what to make of either claim lol

Just thought about it and the modded cosmos must be very good for the above to make any sense , I think I’ll buy a second hand one and do the mod

2 Likes

I do like the Index but love wireless my daughter loves VR but can’t be trusted with a cable!!! I couldn’t believe the results of the mod the blacks are brilliant and colours just pop in general. Half life was 2x as jumpy in the modded cosmos compared to the index. I am looking forward to my 8KX and have preordered a Reverb G2 before the price hike but I’m not going to keep it. The Sweviver video below makes me want wide FOV again. I did not like the G1. Get the Elite not the std cosmos. Shame the X went for crazy money.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see if the Index Disfusion layer would work better than the disfused O+ as was described in the RdToVR Index Teardown. Though I suspect why it worked better on the Index is due to LCD RGB vs Amoled pentile.

2 Likes

Another quick through the lens at the of the tutorial this guy has a nice setup!!

1 Like

The mod is very easy , should keep the empty lens sockets facing down to stop dust , my only concern with the cosmos mod is the hinge , with the vive/vive pro I could use a thinner face mask literally eyeball to lens and get a good fov but looking at the cosmos that looks a bit tricky to do because of the hinged bit above the eyebrows
Nothing a hacksaw couldn’t fix I suppose ( and yes I would )

1 Like

Easy fix I changed the side pads and removed 90% of the foam from the centre cushion it improved the FOV immensely. Flip still works and doesn’t wobble like std.

2 Likes

I’m now on the hunt for a cosmos bargain preferably one with scratched lens and maybe even a damaged cable ,maybe it has a vice pro cable anyway

1 Like

I will keep an eye out for u. I think you’ll like it as you enjoy your pro. If u like wireless there isn’t anything better.

That’s true cables do get in the way a lot .
I have a fairly big space to roam around ( vr shed in a Farm building ) and cables with extensions are restrictive ., gets cold in winter mind despite a log burner blazing away

1 Like

I don’t really understand why htc never approached Samsung for lens ,makes such a difference , maybe they did !

Sounds cool…literally. :grinning:

Yeah no worries about breaking out into a sweat during winter months

1 Like

I would love to have a go with all the space something like hellsplit wireless would be great!!!

No matter how much space a wall is a wall and that’s where you inevitably end up

2 Likes

Isnt htc vive pro better with the lense mod than the cosmos elite because of oled>lcd :thinking:

1 Like

Yes but that extra subpixel and slightly better resolution ,
nobody has made a comparison

1 Like

How does the cosmos sde compare to the 5k+ ??

A lot better it’s there but not noticeable :0)

2 Likes

Joeblackof

picked a second hand cosmos with controllers up for £290 ,should get it in a few days . now the modding starts , hacksaw ready to remove/relocate the hinge if I cannot get an “eyeball to lens” experience ,
Does it use the same cable socket at the headset end as the vive pro , some stores sell the all in one cable as being for both models. be handy if it does so I can straight swap the wireless , next question is whether to buy the elite faceplate or just use my og vive ( or steam watchman dongles) and space calibrator for knuckles tracking , the faceplate will be a lot less messing about but ÂŁ200 for the convenience .
ps this is a fun distraction , as i found myself bidding quite high on the ebay 8kx yesterday , a leap in the dark

1 Like