HTC Cosmos lens Mod

I though you can use Lighthouses with the G2?

Of course you can.

They just donā€™t do anything.

2 Likes

What do you mean they donā€™t do anything?

I think he is referring to the helmet has no LH tracking sensors. You can use Steamvr controllers with LHes on pretty much any headset.

Now you might be able to attach a tracking puck to the headset for it to track via LHes.

2 Likes

I see, thanks for the clarification. I am not keeping track on the latest and greatest news recently

1 Like

Iā€™m all set up now with the cosmos gear lens mod , I used the (screw in) adjustable focal length adapters to get a nice crisp image without needing +.5 reading glasses.
The vive pro wireless setup works fine with the cosmos , just needed to make a cushion to put under the wireless receiver and get a better battery pack , the cosmos draws more current than the pro .
Using the vive pro as a tethered headset now and sharing itā€™s controllers with the cosmos with OpenVR-SpaceCalibrator

This looks about 85% as good as the reverb G1 did , just a hint of screen door ( better for me as no glasses required with adjustable ipd ) . I might get the elite faceplate for it so I can use 100% steam tracking ,

The horizontal fov I get is 98 degrees which is fine ( was a 100+ before I used the focal adjust lens adapters)

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great Iā€™ve been wondering how u got on with the cosmos. Your adapters sound good. What do you think of the colours? I thought they were great!! I have an extra cosmos adapter kit with the cable and cushion pm me if u want it foc. I bought it for the extra battery. :0)

1 Like

Colours are very good , not far off the vive pro , general clarity is good too .
no regrets .
You can use anker battery packs with the cosmos , the QC 3.0 that give 12v 2amps
Iā€™m using them no problem , Iā€™ve also connected a usb 2.0 extension cable to a 12v car battery for seated games , so no downside with using the wireless with xplane etc
a Qualcomm quick charge 3.0 wallcharger and extension would be best .

The diy adapter kit works fine thanks

The vive pro must have a different focal length to the cosmos because i get a focused image with the gear lens in the vive pro but not with the cosmos , hence the adjustable lens adapters .
Still good not to need extra lens though. I can pretend my eyesight hasnā€™t deteriorated lol

3 Likes

Where did you get the screw type adjustable adapters?
I 3d printed a standard set for my cosmos but found the distance isnt quite right leaving it out of focus.
Is there somewhere I can download the 3d files?did

1 Like

Be careful with the car Battery as they often do between 12 and 14 volts. A simple voltage regulator can help ensure you donā€™t get over voltage. My brother years ago tried direct connecting a ghetto blaster that ran 12v on direct car voltage and killed it.

3 Likes

Yes I have a copy of the files here , theyā€™ve dissappeared off thingiverse
about 3mb , sent you the link in PM

3 Likes

Awesome thanks very much. Iā€™ll print them tonight

2 Likes

I think he took them down because theyā€™re a bit filmsy , I had to add a slither of plastic bag in the thread to tighten it up and stop it turning too easily

1 Like

If it is not an inconvenience, I wouldnā€™t mind being regaled a copy as well.

-I havenā€™t got neither a Cosmos, nor a functioning Vive, but am curious about the technical solution. :7

2 Likes

what about contrast & blacks? is it better than index?

No idea , I have never looked into an index , Others say the blacks and contrast are better , The cosmos screen is close to the oled vive pro , better than the "cloudy day " look of all other lcd screens that Iā€™ve seen .

1 Like

They are much better than an index for sure. I never jumped in half life with the index the dark scenes were not that dark and I could see everything moving. The cosmos modded is really dark itā€™s honestly like an OLED. :0)

2 Likes

I think I would agree that the colours & blacks with the gearvr lens are better than the index.
Modded, itā€™s actually a really good contender.
I have replaced the forehead foam with thinner foam to Increase fov & the gearvr lens make a big difference to sweet spot, clarity, colours & blacks.
Also god rays are practically gone.
After an hour play last night I could feel some eyestrain though.
Maybe I will adapt & it will go away.

It is very close between the 2 but for me I would still chose the index for a few reasons.
These reasons are: headstrap/comfort on index is a fair bit better than cosmos, index lenses give me no eyestrain at all, index works with LukeRoss00 gtav vr mod whereas cosmos isnā€™t compatible due to htcā€™s mandatory software.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like Index screen at all, itā€™s not bad but itā€™s just too grey for me & I notice SDE when I turn head even if it was reduced by advanced video settings, itā€™s still there.

Index 3d immersion & sweetspot are good. i have vive pro & also modded it with gearvr. I have 3d printer & did a lot of different adapters, tried different distortion profiles ,while it looks crisp & bright, I loose 3d immersion & I never was able to get that distortion free image as with default lenses, I might try undistort util to do my own profile, but I temporary swtiched back, as in DCS which has a lot of roll & pitch it makes me ill while on standard I had no any issues at all.
So I anticipate I wonā€™t like the cosmos mod as well & I donā€™t want to accomodate to this, because itā€™s not a good one to switch between real world & distorted lenses, once I put it off & had quite strong vertigo IRL only when was turning my head, so obviously brain adapts to it, but if you need to swap it often I donā€™t think itā€™s a good approach. But if I will be able to adjust distortion profile to suite myself I guess I will be fine.

Actually I like Vive Pro resolution in conjuction with colours & I donā€™t loss many FOV with mod & I guess with lenses SDE is even less & colours are brighter.

I defintely want to try Cosmos Elite. HTC didnā€™t dissapoint me yet with their screens, I would say their HMDs have one of the best screen in VR market. But I was scary about itā€™s LCD HMD.

Why nobody do RGB matrix AMOLED displays as Sony did with PSVR, is it so expensive or there is another reason.

Hi. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just lucky but have no side effects of the mod and also no distortion and the scale is 100% right. The comfort is not as good as the index but the colours are far superior and with no lens flare or god rays plus wireless the cosmos elite is a great underrated HMD. I hope you get to try a modded cosmos. I see so many poor reviews of the Cosmos and standard the sweet spot isnā€™t great but modded and wireless I canā€™t think of anything right now better. Hopefully the 8KX will be my new favourite but I am not looking forward to the lead again.

1 Like