How to play project cars2 on pimax 8k, 5k without parallel projections and steamvr

Yes, everything is correct, this fpsVR could look like this:
(Ie, it turns out 30% SS, that’s right)
fpsvr
Of course, probably, it would be better to adjust it to 2560x1440 (for this, you will have to play a little more with fine settings)

Ideal for me: 1920x1080. Here it turns out the menu is quite clear, and also the elements of dashboard fit well. (I do not know for what reason, but the resolution of the game affects the resolution inside the headset. At least in the menu)

(Although the in-game 2560x1440 will probably be better. Need to check.)

I’ve only a basic understanding of the resolution for the pimax but I have a feeling that the number steam says in that box should ideally be way higher than the pimax printed resolution. I think I’ve read that the area is much bigger than the screen resolution so that it can distort the screen to match the lenses without you ending up with blank areas at the edges and sides.

I think to get the ideal 1 to 1 res, steam needs to be in the 3000s at least.

Hopefully someone can link a thread with the proper numbers in it :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the HTC Vive, the image needed to be 1.4 times larger, in order to be at native resolution once wrapped. Maybe the coefficient is higher here considering the FOV.
But what was displayed for HTC Vive on that screen? (don’t remember and haven’t my Vive at hand right now).

I only tried pcars2 in VR yesterday, since I recently purchased a RTX 2080, but couldn’t find a playable setting.
After seeing I had to enabled parallel projection, I switched to Normal FOV, and had Fixed Fovated Rendering set to “conservative” (the less intrusive one) coupled with 72 Hz refresh rate.
But the game couldn’t handle even 36fps (reprojection), with every graphical settings at low or disabled in the usual use case I used on PC1 with Vive (not that I intended to get similar result since the sequel and new headset are more demanding).

I reduced numbers of opponents by 40% (from 15 to 9), disabled completely MSAA (leaving FXAA to low), set Pitool rendering quality to 0.75, but couldn’t maintain stable 45fps either (90Hz reprojected), although it was already more playable.

I have to look into those downsampling values, and also look for other pcars command line arguments which would help (I forgot I used -skipcrowds on PC1 to disable the crowd and reducing drastically the number of drawvcalls, hence being less demanding of the CPU).

@shadows
try this https://community.openmr.ai/t/project-cars-2-pimax-5k-8k-setup-guide/14818

1 Like

The need for more “Render Frames Ahead” would imply that your CPU is slower than your GPU right ?

It seems to be 'it works the other way around.
I myself did not try to understand this in detail. I will simply quote:
Here is a quote:
“Max frames to render ahead”. In general, this parameter deserves special attention, since it partly allows you to set a more accurate balance between the central and graphic processors. On particularly powerful processors, you can try to increase this value, on the weak ones - to decrease. "

1 Like

I followed the video but it doesn’t work from steamvr. Anyway, it works with pitools and I gained both FPS and hud clarity, so thanks a lot @park !!!

2 Likes

Hey I tried this, it worked, it launched from pitools without PP. BUT, it’s as if I have supersampling on 0.01 lol. No matter how much I changed pitool SS and FOV, it would still be pixelated as HELL

Any fix to this?

Anyone else notice that there is a file in there called starvrsettings.xml

1 Like

anyone…?

@Mpmo10 Are you sure that FFR is disabled ? I launched pcars once with FFR on agressive and it was…

2 Likes

it was what? btw it worked lol, but performance was ABYSMAL. Running at 20-30 fps maybe lol…launching it from steam with PP on is a way better option still unfortunately.

Same with dirt rally. For dirt rally i was in the ground, and it was running like, really really bad performance wise by launching from pitool directly with park’s method

This is not correct if done properly. Turn off smart smoothing etc and it should run much better than via steamVR. The same can be said about PC2 etc. When this method is used correctly and the right settings are selected in pitool it significantly improves performance.

With regards to camera placement, you must put the Pimax flat on a level surface when turning it on, this ensures everything is centered correctly laterally and vertically.

2 Likes

I’m not yet to the point of worrying about framerate. How the heck do I recenter my VR view in Project Cars 2? I have a Logitech G25 steering wheel, but none of the buttons I tried recentered my view. Otherwise the game looks pretty good.

1 Like

Not sure but on a Steam Controller it’s the “<” button. I think it’s the equivalent of a “select” button.

You can just bind a key under controls.

1 Like

There’s a button in camera key bindings.

If that doesn’t work, it might think you are using oculus so right click game namen in steam and make sure it’s loading openvr.

Also, it might also think you have standing only vr and not room scale so also redo both pitool room setup and steam vr.

I had this issue too and it was one of these that fixed it but forgot which one sorry.

2 Likes

No problem. I looked under bindings, but I’ll look again. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

The VR recenter option for configuration is in Controls/Edit Assignments/Camera & View
It’s called Center VR Headset oddly enough hehe :o)

2 Likes