How to play project cars2 on pimax 8k, 5k without parallel projections and steamvr

Thanks! That’s very helpful.

1 Like

You’re welcome… :+1::wink:

1 Like

I’m almost there. I keep getting dumped from the game into what appears to be the Steam Store. This happens when I depress the clutch (and I think under other circumstances). The problem is that nothing seems to function on that screen: Not the keyboard, mouse, steering wheel, nor controller. I think it’s wanting to use a VR controller, but I don’t have one.

Any idea how I can get back into the game? This is really frustrating; the only fix I’ve found is to Alt+Tab and kill SteamVR. Surely, there must be a better way.

Never had that happen to me.

Maybe it’s one of Your bindings that is conflicting with SteamVR?

Maybe You can disable the SteamVR dashboard in SteamVR settings? :wink:

1 Like

I can’t recall exactly what to do but a friend had this and it was something to do with the wheel being assigned buttons automatically under steam big picture mode. I thing he had to go into big picture mode (out of vr) and delete any keybindings for the wheel in the settings there. You should be able to keep the dpad stuff and buttons but unassign or reassign the wheel and pedals

The other thing to do is to plug in an xbox controller if you have one as you can use this to navigate steam if the wheel is a pain to use.

2 Likes

I keep my gamepad plugged in, but it was completely ignored.

For now, I’ve given up on PC2. I bought Assetto Corsa and have been having a blast. I really like the 1960s Monza (sp?) track; it has banked curves and is built for speed.

1 Like

So after using a Quest. I really am in love with the universal recenter HMD button on the controller. I really wish there was an equivalent in PC land.

2 Likes

I copied all those libraries to the game folder, created steam_appid.txt file and now what. How to run it? Just execute pCars2.exe? For me this is not working because when I execute this file from command line the SteamVR application is opening and serving picture to the HMD.

That is probably the worst “how to” video i have ever seen… missing key info about the oculus dlls lol…

BUT wow the difference this workaround makes…blew me away. My rig (3900x and 2080ti) was struggling running this via steamvr (looked a bit crap and and fps was all over the place)…but wow this, with same settings, is nice and crisp and fps is 90fps most of the time with drops at start of races.

Good job to the person who found out about this workaround…so if the lesson if the game is out on oculus then get the oculus version…because you don’t have to worry about using parallel re-projection?

2 Likes
  1. create “steam_appid.txt” file in game directory. Not .tmp.
  2. edit that file and add in text 378860
  3. download the 2 oculus dll files from Oculus dll - Google Drive and copy into game directory.
  4. In the piTool choose import and select pCARS2.exe from game directory.
  5. This will create a new game in the pitool “games” list.
  6. RUN THE GAME FROM PITOOL NOT VIA STEAM

Additional Steps:-

Assuming on beta version of pitool setup the newly imported game so that all the smoothing and reprojection options are off. I set the rending quality to 0.75 and field of view to normal and get great looknig results in the game.

5 Likes

Thank You very much. Should I have Oculus Home Runtime installed or just those two library files (*.dll)?

You can use just those 2 files. Cheers

Is there a way in OculusVR to verify whether the application runs in parallel or non-parallel mode? I am wondering because it looks like OculusVR implements parallel projection mode on its own (unless we accept that the same game cannot run in non-parallel mode in one VR but can in another).

2 Likes

I also wonder if this can work with no steam games? What to type then in steam_appid.txt file? I also heard that some people type in this file something like this: {appId}/othervr

Does it make any sesne? What application is using this file? PiTool during importing? I’m assuming I don’t have steam and steamVR installed. Just those two dlls.

just copy two files in the game folder

Nothing for me, when start pc2import button in pitool(180) nothing happens. I have dll and txt inside folder…

You also need steam installed and running in background
I think with this method I get the same performance than launching it via Steam VR with PP activated, I don’t see a 30% increase in performance. Am I wrong?

2 Likes