How to play project cars2 on pimax 8k, 5k without parallel projections and steamvr

I have mapped that shortcut to a button on my stearingwheel, but it du not adjust height, only center horisontal.

1 Like

I tried the recenter button(and recenter at race start), it does ā€˜workā€™ but it seems like it doesnā€™t move the vertical axis(floor level is ā€˜correctā€™). If this were running in SteamVR I could use ā€˜reset seatedā€™ or OVRAS, not sure how to do this with Oculus.

1 Like

I tried this workaround, I thought it would give better performance with pp turned off. It is actually the complete opposite. This is a stuttery mess. The HUD is behind me, the menu is huge and only a few inches in front of my face. There is a duplicate menu behind me,but it is upside down. On track there is a lot of ghosting! I seem to be experiencing worse performance with pp turned off then with it on. I think Slightly Mad Studios needs to properly implement pimax support for this sim to have decent performance!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on this, I guess Iā€™ll settle with the SteamVR pp performance.

Yeah, I donā€™t want to drop $1300 so I can get decent framerates to make this look ā€˜acceptableā€™.

Thanks @park for great tip !

Now Iā€™m recommending all of you manualy edit graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml (in documents/ProjectCars 2)
and sharpennig far distance:

sharpeningstrength="1.100000" />
               sharpeningclamp="0.080000" />
               offsetbias="1.030000" />
3 Likes

after 1h testing , I going back to steam vr version . Dont know why but I feel like this oculus non PP ver. run15 fps less with the same in game settings. I thought ist only my setup but when I read your post its looks like general worst performanceā€¦ :disappointed:

1 Like

This HUD postion you can copy from steamvr version - (opervrsettings.xml ā†’ oclussettings.xml) in documents/project cars 2 folder
Also when you are in car (race) , click esc than options, set word scale in virtual reality tab and seat postions , you can move up/down , angle etc

1 Like

Thank you, this works well, now I can even play Pcars2 on my GTX1070: https://community.openmr.ai/t/tips-tricks-and-a-review/18328

2 Likes

The anisotropic filtering, it turnes out it was off in stead of application controled in the control panel, no wonder i didnā€™t see a difference :smile:. Itā€™s a major improvement.so thanks for the feedback, its more crisp on distance. more detail and less alliasing, i noticed the improvement in falltout also, iā€™m happy with this.

2 Likes

Great, glad you could set it up right :sunglasses::ok_hand:
Just do not turn on ā€œsmart smoothingā€ (this is ruining the smoothness of the picture in the auto-simulators).
Although I still prefer Assetto Corsa at the moment, there is no need to include any PPs there, and even physics, someone says, is better.

Soon iRacing is on my turn (when I accumulate a desire to pay for a year subscription. Itā€™s bad that iR needs PP :roll_eyes: )

1 Like

iRacing doesnt need PP anymore :wink:

1 Like

yes yet another improvement! I really hope and think Pimax will keep on going tweaking the smartsmoothing till itā€™s perfect.
In project cars i do it like this: If i want to feel speed in formula one i put smartsmoothing of, but for recreational driving i turn it on and put everything on ultra,driving, looks great and itā€™s fun :slight_smile: i just tell my brain itā€™s motion blur :upside_down_face: I like driving in an mercedez oldtimer in a tunderstorm on the scottish track. Feels very realistic and hides the smartsmoothing and other things like screendoor a bit

1 Like

You sure itā€™s not because of something like having steamVR resolution scaling set to auto? If you have itā€™s probably running at say 50-70% whereas when you run directly from Pitool using this method, it will be like running at 100% in steamVR so you would have to set pitool to lower than 1.0 Res scaling to be comparable.

Great, then I have to subscribe :grinning: (I doubted the performance with PP, although iR is generally a well-optimized simulator)

Yes, SDE is still present at 8K still ā€¦But in the game itself, I practically do not feel it.
(I especially notice this on small details when I watch replays of my races. I love watching replays of races from different movie cameras, itā€™s very cool to do in VR :sunglasses::+1:)

I remember a long time ago, when I still had a Playstation 1 or 2, I constantly watched replays in the GT, it was a pleasure to appreciate how you rode :grin: )

PS: When will someone take 8K apart to look at the panels? We need to know whatā€™s inside :thinking: (If I decide to do this, then I will let you know. in the meantime, at least I need to learn how to pull out the lenses. I noticed a mote there. Itā€™s just trash. There are no dead pixels))

@park, can you look inside 8K to see the marking of the panels? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s there but very fine, its easy to forget about it, and objects feel solid on the 8k it adds to the immersion , have never felt that before with other hmdā€™s.
The replays is fantastic in vr, i especially enjoy the one standing in the public en see yourself passing by with 200mph, did i go that fast :smile: its a lot of fun using the chase camera too, and see the whole environment.
But wow thats a risk , the lenses is easy with suction cups but, would you really do that? i believe Sjef the Clerckā€™s 5k+ is not fully working after dismanteling it.
I would just enjoy the headset and maybe pimax will come out over time about the panels

1 Like

Yes, it is in any case superior to other headsets, it is a fact.
But if there was still a little more resolution, a little bit to remove the remnants of SDE, and thatā€™s all - thatā€™s perfect (hello 8K-X :sunglasses:).

Maybe someday I will try, but for now I just want to enjoy.
This headset really hit me and captivated at the moment.
I tried recently Lenovo Explorer, it is ā€¦:smirk::face_with_raised_eyebrow::poop::scream_cat::woozy_face::rofl:ā€¦ (after 8K).

I was struck by how narrow a hole there was, like a donut hole, well, really.
And with 8K, my eyes are just clear inside. This has never happened before. It is great.
(So ā€‹ā€‹for now Iā€™ll restrict myself to cleaning the lenses, changing the pillow for the face, and thatā€™s it. I do not really want to disassemble 8K :upside_down_face:).

1 Like

yeh I am sure not only less fps but also visualy looks worst than steamvr version, its better do not touch it as its took me some time to revert back some settings

haha yes i sold mine the second day after i got the 8k, the fov and colors etc are shocking after using the 8k.

1 Like

I donā€™t really understand your last fpsVR screenshot.

Is this some downsampling on top of pitool and steam vr ? (or maybe directly controlling steam vr downsampling).
But it says that youā€™re running at 30% or the original resolution, isnā€™t that just a blurry mess ?

Well, on the other side, it still says that each eye is renders at 2428 x 2138, so Iā€™m confused since the native rez should be 2560 x 1440.

I will try that too.

In PC1, the game was always running the game at native headset resolution (until they added a supersampling option in a config file), and the rez set in the options was only for the companion window displayed on the primary screen, so I used to set it to something really small.

But in PC2, I tried to do it, setting the res at 480p (since I didnā€™t plan to capture anything), but the image in the headset became a blurry mess >__<. So I guess this is not the case anymore in the sequel.

Also, PC1 had a command line option to disable the companion window (-vrnomirror), but the results where not really what I expected (had significantly lower fps than without the option)

1 Like