Project Cars 2 - Pimax 5k/8k setup guide

It is not 0,38 but 0,46 because PiTool and SteamVR are using different formulas for calculating the supersampling factor (https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-users-you-have-to-try-this-for-elite-dangerous/17024/11), but in general I agree, there should not be a difference.

3 Likes

Interesting to know.
So PiTool coefficient is applied to both height and width, while Steam’s one is applied to the total number of pixel.

Anyway, I should be able to test PC2 my GPU (2080) on a 9700K + DDR4 3200MHz this week end, so I should be able to get my answer ^_~

at 0:50 you can see my short PC 2 gameplay , stable 72 hz at least in training sessions

1 Like

Thanks
We should some how get a list/blog/threads/section for Game Configs for typical best practice settings.
Like PC2 for 1080 to 2080TI;
Often its “specific” things you need to adjust for a game to make it playable and the rest ist just finetuning to your card.

@Heliosurge - is there such a “Area?” - would be nice since currently we have many threads with lots of solutions (like the none Parallel Projection for PC2 and this one as an example).

Like “Game Configurations 5k/8k”
and Threads like:

• Projects Cars 2
  • DCS

not sure how to reduce the off topic jabbering….

Edit: This is the one (Yata_PL also provided some Infos there)
https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-play-project-cars2-on-pimax-8k-5k-without-parallel-projections-and-steamvr/18644

2 Likes

@Yata_PL Did you try the Parallel Projection off thing?

I didn’t doubt you, especially since this is backed up by several other feedback.
I will provide some feedback once I tested the game with a stronger CPU + DDR4 this week end or sometimes next week.

Yes he did.

2 Likes

Thanks @Schadows - “The one who can read is clearly on the side of advantage” or how ever you would translate that one :wink: -
I guess I just missed that line!

1 Like

I think it would be more relevant to directly show the resolution that appears in SteamVr settings…

I read a lot of topics around SteamVR and Pitools rendering methods, and it appears that final resolution is pitools render quality times SteamVR suppersampling cursor.

In my case (RTX 2080 OC), I found out that it’s running perfectly smooth (a good test is to quickly go from one side to another when you are pursuing a car from close behind) with :
3207x2742 (0,75/98%), msaa low, shadows high, car details low
I am testing on Le Mans Bugatti, LMP2, at dawn, with 31 cars, it makes around 60 fps.

Obviously, you can use higher settings with fewer cars, and slower cars…

Settings above are without manual overclocking. Now the strange thing is that overclocking doesn’t improve the frame rate…

Indeed, I think the end result resolution is a better indicator.

By the way, as a reference, using PiTool 1.0.1.121 Beta, I got the following default resolution (Pitool = 1 / SteamVr = 100%) :
Large FOV : > 6950 x 3290
Normal FOV : 3852 x 3290
Small FOV : 2786 x 3290

Original HTC Vive with SS 100% gives 1512 × 1680 (1.4 times native resolution)

Maybe you’re CPU bound ?

1 Like

I don’t think that the CPU is the problem. It’s an i7-8700… And with pcars, it uses around 50%…

1 Like

I have done all your settings but I cant get past 60 fps. My 2080 Ti will not work more than 61 %. Is there anything I ca do to make my “lazy” card work 100% ?

1 Like

optimize your gfx profile in OC software, what memory do you have ?

To be honest the best visuals I had at pitools .111 becouse SM works great and with stable 45 fps I crancked resolution fo 3700x3100 (1.25 , SS 60%) Now with pitool. 121 SM on is unplayable becouse agresive ghosting but colors are more vibrant , so turned SM off and I have again settings with my first post. My suggestions guys lets wait for new pitool with better working SM and FFR.

@ebjornen @Lebois @Shadows

2 Likes

I got the same problem (detailed here : https://community.openmr.ai/t/low-gpu-usage-is-it-normal/18537/10)

For the moment, we don’t know why. I think that it’s due to the way RTX cards calculates the gpu usage…

Yeah I didn’t have sucess with Smart Smoothing… I should try .111

I am drowning in acronyms here, :grinning: What is OC software and how do I know to optimize it. My memory is: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32GB. 2x16GB 2400MHz.

e.g : ASUS │ GPU Tweak II
:: Palit - ThunderMaster ::
Afterburner

Try to OC your DDR4 up to 3000 mhz in bios

My usage is 88~90% in PC2 but I have OC profile on my gfx card 2140 mhz with boost. ( Asus Strix RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC edition)

Hay ,can you tell me where you got all the kit for the actuators ,im looking for somthing but dont have a clue ,would be much appreciated

OK thank you for this. I have MSI 2080 Ti Trio, so I have to look into Afterburner. But I find it ridiculous to overclock to make it perform what it shuld be able to do out of the box.

You mean that the 2080 ti should be able to run the pimax with heavy supersampling ? No chance ^^