How To Make Your Pimax Image/Picture/Screen Clear/Crisp (Increase Clarity)

I just started to change the values in the steamVR file and i had pitool open, but steam/SteamVR was shut down. I saved the settings, reopened steamVR, and then when i went back to the file to check the settings, everything was deleted, including the SS Values i had set for a bunch of games on the bottom of the file.

If I keep pitool open and steamVR closed, does that cause it to delete the settings in the SteamVR file when i go back to open SteamVR?

most likely you did a syntax error
https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-crisp/29688/36?u=teigue

One of the lines is causing it to revert to default - its supersampleScale: 1 - this line causes my file to go back to default if i save it and start steamVR

is it the last line in the array? If so did you make sure it has no comma at the end, as last lines shouldn’t have it

1 Like

That might be it but im not sure. Ill check later on

because generally the cinema screen is over 30 ft away generally so eyes aren’t squinting to get the images to align. also we don’t “see” stereo generally in objects in the distance as there isn’t the parallax (not sure if correct word used) check out Avatar the opening sequence of seeing the space ship in space next to the planet - there is no 3d in the shot at all.

S

If screen distance and content stereoscopic distance were the only factors, then we could reduce the need for precise IPD alignment in Virtual Desktop and such with ‘far away’ screens. Also, I don’t know about you, but I seem to have useful depth perception up to at least hundreds of meters, even in the 5k+ generation VR headsets, and better still in the 8kX headsets. That scene from Avatar without stereoscopy was showing astronomical distances.

My impression is that VR headset lenses rapidly lose optical clarity with any misalignment from their centers to the human eye lens.

1 Like

I cant find the values in my settings file

1 Like

Then you need to add them. SteamVR can overwrite or delete settings, under various circumstances. If the maxRecommendedResolution setting exactly matches the SteamVR default value (usually 4096) the setting will be deleted from steamvr.vrsettings.

1 Like

Omg. Just set file attribute read-only after changing. SteamVR will not rewrite it anymore

2 Likes

I use different HMD daily and change a lot of settings, I don’t think it’s a convenient way to deal with losing all the settings every run, while you need to do it once per 2 weeks or per steamvr update, in case of script it’s done automatically

1 Like

You can try changing the settings in web console. For that you need to run SteamVR then run web console from SteamVR menu, then use “settings” command in the console command line.

If you break JSON format in the file by manually editing it, it will get recreated.

3 Likes

I finally got it. It was probably the comma at the end of the block of code that was causing it to be overwritten.

I cant wait until we have the pimax experience app that will change the values for us because i have to change it almost daily.

3 Likes

You don’t have to. Make a shortcut on the task bar of the default.vrsettings file. Change it there. Then when steamvr does an update just do a quick check there and that’s it. This whole hunting down the right file and hope it doesn’t disappear is way over complicated.

I made a copy of the file’s contents and then i just overwrite it, but i have the file in my quick links in the file browser anyway, so its not too bad. Just an annoyance having to do it every couple of days.

1 Like

I just edit it with NotePad++, which retains links to the open file(s) even when the app is closed. Next time you run NP++, it will open those files and restore your cursor position and selection. I have the maxRecommendedResolution line selected, so I can easily copy and paste it into the next inevitable “SteamVR is blurry” discussion.

It’s a great app and it’s free. Highly recommended.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

5 Likes

Here is another comfort mod that really made a difference for my 5k Plus. It grabs more of your forehead and makes it easier to make adjustments. I used the original foam plus added another layer on top.

8 Likes

Is this steamvr config file the reason why my 5k+ is way clearer than my 8k+ ? With the 8K+ i always have the feeling that im looking through a thin film, which is very exhausting to play with.

possibly, but if you use both headsets on the same computer they should be using the same steamvr.vrsettings.

but 8k+ probably need more supersampling to look good and if you’re capped at 4096…

2 Likes

If you have no tuned your configs then for sure 8k+ will be affected by bigger degree as it requires more pixels to display.

It also increases clarity of the 5k+ as well.

But 8k+ still not as crisp as the 8kX as it takes resolution & scales it up to 8k, so it will be always more softer than on 8kX.

But as already was mentioned many times the configurations affect 8k+ & other HMDs a lot. So give it a try.

2 Likes