How To Make Your Pimax Image/Picture/Screen Clear/Crisp (Increase Clarity)

I still dont get it. How do I load the picture? The description jumps from the setup of the headset directly to changing the IPD values but I still do not know how to display the picture in the first playe :-))

Wish I was at my pc to tell you but for what I remember don’t have pimax experience selected or the one next it , it’s the first one , then you’ll see the picture instead of pe and the space one

2 Likes

After trying four (4) different face foams, I found that my thin foam with some velcro cable tape added the perfect adjustment needed to move my eyes about 2mm further away.

5 Likes

Ya, I also found the thin foam to my liking with some additional shimming at the edges with pieces of foam. The topper though was literally that (the top fit). To that end, I imported my Studioform Creative strap that I had used with my Vive DAS over to my KDMAS and found the most solid and comfortable fit. For myself anyway.

1 Like

Meh… I dont agree with this.
But not “Angry-ly”?

Suppose that was in fact a stpud question.

OK it popped up somehow but it does not really help me adjusting anything :-/
At least not better than just looking anywhere and adjusting from there.
I remember that HP had a nice allignment tool for that with green dotted lines.

Hi everyone! I’m new here and just got the 8kx. Having a problem that I can’t figure out. First game I played was Beat Saber and everything works fine and I don’t have the following problem.

In Project Cars 2 the menu appears great with no problems…the menu where you choose your car, track, options, settings, etc. But once you start and you’re in the car the images are reversed. The left image in the right eye, and right image in the left eye.

I tried Fallout 4 VR and similar problem. If I have my head perfectly level it’s OK, but you can tell something weird is going on because you can feel the eye strain. Once you twist (not turn) your head one way or another the images start to diverge.

Then I tried Everest VR and the same thing.

It’s so strange that I have no problems with Beat Saber and when I go to another game the images are reversed. I don’t have this problem in the VR Environment or any environment for that matter.

Is there a setting somewhere to reverse this, or fix it? I’ve searched the net and youtube to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

Some games are not made for headsets with canted displays like pimax headsets or valve index.
So you have to use parallel projection in pitool, restart SteamVR, and you’re good.
the bad news is that it uses more pixels to make it compatible, so the resolution is increased but this doesn’t translates into a visible increased resolution. this means it has a 30% performance cost.
PC2 is one of the games that needs PP to be turned on.

here is a brillant explanation from risa2000
Closer look at Pimax parallel projection - Pimax 8K Series - OpenMR | Community

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation! Where do I find parallel projection setting at? I’ve looked all over Pitool and Steam VR settings and can’t find it.

2 Likes

Don’t look for it in steamVR, it’s only in pitool (or in pimax experience I guess but I have never used it).
It’s in a menu where you’ll also find smart smoothing, hidden area mask (that you have to turn on no matter what) and fixed foveated rendering, (and another option :vive only game, or something)

4 Likes

Where abouts do you install the RGB cross image to use it in HMD ?

@Deathwalker316 @Heliosurge

1 Like

Look in the pimax install folders. There should be a Default.jpg file. This is the pimax logo screen in hmd.

This pic with led stripes is JPEG and my old pimax_default (green pi) was JPG. And that’s why it didn’t worked. So if it’s just black you need to convert it to JPG.

3 Likes

Update on my previous posts/technique:

After a ton of playing around, I don’t feel that I can recommend my previous technique for possible safety reasons.

While it does work and was effective, it was also starting to screw with my real world depth perception outside of VR. After some more research/reading on how our eyes work in 3d, I decided to go back to keeping each eye’s settings identical just to be on the safe side- and then just adjusting both up and down from there. (Currently sitting at -1.1 for L/R, physical IPD set to bottom)

The vertical alignment still helps, but is so close to the default (at least my HMD) that I simply use it to compensate for my bifocals (shifting the image up). This is currently at -2 L/R for my 5k+.

So while it may work, can’t guarantee your short or long term eye health if you use it- and do so at your own risk.

Hopefully, we’ll get some sort of standard eventually.

2 Likes

Well who knows maybe pimax will finally release there ipd wizard; between the forum and them designing the headset in theory they should have released it long ago.

@PimaxQuorra @hammerhead_gal

4 Likes

I realy hope so,its needed.

4 Likes

Great thread, picked up several things.

About pimax and IPD, it was fine for me. I used the mechanical wheel, it showed 70mm on screen which is my IPD. I then used one of the images above to fine tune my IPD adjustment in the software, but on viewing the image it was almost immediately obvious the image needed no adjustment; it was clear in both eyes.

After what ive read online i half expected not to be able to set my IPD correctly or it would require much messing around, but this wasn’t the case for myself.

2 Likes

I noticed this too. Apparently, my eyes aren’t even close to lining up vertically. The first time I adjusted the left/right vertical offsets, it was amazing. 3D looked better than real-life. I played for about an hour. Afterwards, (in real-life) my depth-perception was messed up big-time. It was skewed and the left/right images didn’t fuse together into a unified image. That lasted for an hour or so, iirc, but my vision was “weird” for another 3-4 hours.

I still use separate vertical offsets, but with less than half of my initial test values. 3D in VR looks good and real-life isn’t noticeably affected by these settings.

4 Likes

i have had an ever increasing cataract issue in my right eye (left has a little one, but not an issue atm. Yesterday I had an IOL implant. i won’t play for a couple of weeks or so but I ran Alyx for a couple of minutes just to see (literally). Holy crap. Just freaking wow.
No longer need prescription lens for that eye, Colors pop and brightness increased, but the best part was the increased depth of 3d. While not critical atm, I will be doing the left eye in the new year for sure. What an amazing operation (10 minutes).

If thyne eye offend thee :grinning: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s actually possible for you to adjust the headset to see better IN vr than OUT because that’s what was happening. Something to do with our focal length. Apparently it shifts back and forth during (RL) use. In VR, it’s relatively fixed, so we’re actually adjusting for THAT focal point and when we come back out our eyes do the equivalent of WTF???

So yeah, that’s why I put up the ‘proceed at your own risk’ warning.

Still use the vertical offsets myself, and my right eye needs two ticks to the right (ie: left .3 and right .5 or .6)

1 Like