FS2020 VR + Pimax Discussion

again , do should NOT start SteamVR!

If you use then Strg-Tab, SteamVR starts automatic with the right settings.

Does not work. I even deleted my MSFS cloud save (thinking it might have a corrupt setting), still doesn’t work. I load into a flight, press Ctrl-Tab, it pauses for about 15 seconds, then the “The Initializing of VR failed” message pops up.

And this happen both with SteamVR running BEFORE or not running at all, when I press Ctrl-Tab.

I have had no problems, what so ever, starting SVR before any of my titles. which is a consider inventory.
I do this a lot right now as I am tweaking SVR for each title for my new 3080.
Not saying you need to, only that I have never seen it to be an issue.

Have you a g-sync monitor an nvidia card? if yes, try to deactivate g-sync in the driver.
Can remember, this has make some problems in FS.

@dogbite if i start steamVR before FS, i have the same error… HMD not found blabla

Don’t no what to tell you. Perhaps an 8KX thing or newer Pitool./firmware? Not an issue with PT 261FW 255

has norhing to do with pitool… is an old FS / SteamVR Problem… you can find a lot about this, also in the first FS VR posts from sweviver an other pimax/index/vive users…

Maybe Asobo has repair it in the meantime… but…no, i dont think, asobo repairs anything :joy:
Steam/Valve maybe… xD

Whatever it is, it isn’t affecting me is all I can say. It is an interesting issue that some seem to be having. Hope you find a solution…

Do you have SteamVR set as your OpenXR Runtime?

At this point I recommend you try to run the OpenXR Explorer tool (https://github.com/maluoi/openxr-explorer/releases/download/v1.2.1/openxr-explorer-win-x64.zip) to inspect your system.

@FlyingSailor ahh, and, you have use first a wmr HMD, right?
Take a look in FS developer mode, if you openXR is set to steam, not wmr.

@mbucchia thanks… I think this is now pointing to a SteamVR and not specifically Pimax. But I’m getting somewhere. When I run the openxr-explorer without SteamVR running, it opens up and only have WMR in the runtime dropdown menu. I add SteamVR as a runtime (and verified the path was correct to the .json file).

However, when I run SteamVR and then openxr-explorer, the explores just hangs there not responding. Same as if I launch the explorer before SteamVR, then run SteamVR and go to refresh the runtime data, it hangs.

I’m reinstalling Steam and SteamVR. This is really freaking odd…

That’s what I originally thought too. So now the computer is just plugged into a normal 4K Samsung TV. No g-sync monitor connected.

This is expected. You’d see something like SteamVR then under system name (I think) you would see “aapvr” which means Pimax.

You shouldn’t touch the drop down menu. What does it first load up with? SteamVR or WMR?

What does your registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1\ActiveRuntime point to?

Thanks for the reply! (Note: Everywhere below where it says “S.team”, that should read “Steam”. This editor flags each instance of “Steam” as a link and will only allow me to post a max of 2 links… lol)

When it first loads up (OpenXR Explorer) it’s listing “S.teamVR/OpenXR” and runtime version 0.1.0 for the xrGetInstanceProperties.

My registry entry is: C:\Program Files (x86)\S.team\steamapps\common\S.teamVR\steamxr_win64.json
which is correct (at least that manifest is there, in that location on my hard drive). Also, the library that it points to in the /bin folder is there.

One thing I did differently this time was uninstall S team, then reinstall into it’s default location on the C drive. This time, when launching MSFS and watching task manager, I noticed s.team’s “VR Server” process start under the MSFS process tree. MSFS showed "Not responding for several seconds, then “VR Server” moved out of the MSFS tree into background processes.

When loading a flight, and then pressing Ctrl-Tab, I got the following errors from S.teamVR (first time getting these):
VRInitError_Init_Internal_Header
VRInitError_Init_Internal_Description
VRInitError_Init_Internal_Action (124)

I am able to start SteamVR from PiTool and then navigate in S team’s VR Home. So, it’s not a problem between Pimax and SteamVR, but between external apps hooking into SteamVR…

Right now, I’m at a loss. Leaving on a 2.5 week business trip tomorrow, so I play around with it some more when I get home.

Thanks again for pointing me to the OpenXR Explorer!

THANK YOU PIMAX for my brand new 8KX! Looking forward to further improve OpenXR Toolkit support on Pimax!

12 Likes

Having same problem as FlyingSailor. Pimax 8kx, open up PiTool, open up FS , open Steam vr, try to go into VR, alli get is a message ‘Waiting on FS’, after a couple of minutes I get a CTD.
I tried Steam Beta, no beta, reinstalled PiTool, set up room in PiTool and Steamvr .Same results.
Someone created a Pimax- Open XR add on, supposedly don’t need to use Steam VR but it happened to be worse in my case. I got orange screens then CTD’s like 5 times in a row.
If anyone here can be helpful as to how to sequence start the Pimax in FS, I would be ever grateful.
Need Hints as to settings in PiTool, Steam Vr, FS, etc…I` just can’t believe that my Pimax won’t access FS in VR…
Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Are you using a 3090Ti?

I’ve resolved myself that it’s an issue with the 3090Ti (known issue). When I get some time I’ll throw my 3080 back in and see if the problem persists…Just frustrating that I’ve no problem playing Elite in VR, but not MSFS.

HI any update on this issue of Jaymo?
Am experiencing same on 3080

Resolved by:

1. Create shortcut to Flight Sim exe file in PITool Exerience (using the import option in PITool Experience). Mine is in this path, but to access need Windows to allow ownership of the file "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe"
  2. Run Flight Sim from shortcut in PiTool EXperience
  3. Run Steam from PiTool Experience
    Hope this helps
1 Like

Woar… Frustrum Culling Solution in the new Beta for WFOV confirmed…

5 Likes

I can confirm that the WFOV issues are gone.

5 Likes