FS2020 VR + Pimax Discussion

Dang we got a community universal 180 degree bug fix and now this all in a week,NICE

1 Like

@Sweviver would you consider doing a vid on this? The performance of the now public beta SU10 in MSFS is incredible! The one-two punch with DLSS+Large FOV support is incredible!

2 Likes

it does get very blurry here with that setting for me.

1 Like

Due to life I’d had to set down the pimax for a while, but I got back at it today, and realized that at least as of the latest beta (and possibly before), parallel projection is no longer needed for MSFM! This really allowed me to raise some detail levels while still getting about 35ish fps in VR with use of DLSS and in-game reprojection+pitools smart smoothing, which in turn allows a nice and smooth experience, albeit still with a lot less detail vs flatscreen/tv. Before with the same settings but with parallel projectin, I’d be lucky to get 15-20fps.

Its also the same for F1 22, no parallel projection needed on that one either. At least, it shows as off in Pitools, and again I was able to raise the settings a lot while still getting a nice and smooth experience.

I don’t use OpenFx, or at least haven’t intentionally done anything to use it (like install it, replace dll’s and the like), is this a recent thing for the 8kx and pimax, not needing parallel projection at least in these 2 games? Or has it been like this for a while?

Either way, its a blast to play both of these and finally be able to turn things up a bit while still getting a nice and smooth experience!

1 Like

No the msfs non-parallel support JUST happened with the beta. Its huge. I voted the ticket last year and they actually had a 2023 plan date. Asobo must have realized via @mbucchia’s hack that this might be a small change with BIG gains. Congrats to asobo for taking the blinders off for us!

2 Likes

Dlss makes things blurrier, yes, but the load it takes off your gpu should allow for a higher resolution that negates that blurriness, provides more clarity and maybe some fps as well. It is a balancing act however. Turning it on by itself will not improve visuals - ever - and I feel too many people forget to compensate with higher resolution. I wish there was a way to turn dlss on and auto balance your fps to the same level so people could see this in action, but theres no way to do that from a developers stanpoint as it is system specific. There is going to be artifacts as it is not the same as true rendering, but using the depth and motions buffers and previous frames to guess at the sharper image is just a way to ensure youre not leaving anything on the table. I do hope people realize the significance of dlss as it is not a turn-key clarity booster. I has to be dialed-in…

1 Like

Ya, it really is a game changer! Twice the fps, its great. And ya, I definitely had to play around with dlss and increased details in other areas, so I ended up with a sharper image AND more fps, its so much more enjoyable to play now. I picked a good time to get back into vr gaming again, lol:)

Hi. I tried to put more resolution through steamvr but using DLSS looks that it doesn’t improve with that. I am happy with the performance but we really need some sharpening.
I am really happy with the fix of the wide fov sides.
I don’t see any performance improvement with the depth and motions buffers.
What is the best scale world for Pimax users?

Sorry DLSS isn’t working well for you. I might suggest trying the dev mode to ensure you are in fact GPU-limited before adding DLSS. (I assume you have an Nvidia GPU)

1 Like

I’ve found that DX12 causes a MAJOR slowdown with SteamVR for me. I wonder if anyone else can reproduce:

SteamVR + DX12 :

PimaxXR + DX12 :

This doesn’t occur with DX11

SteamVR + DX11:

PimaxXR + DX11:

In any case, if you decide you want to try DX12 Make sure you have OpenXR Toolkit (at least the version currently released Fully disabled as mbucchia has stated it doesn’t work

1 Like

Hi,
I have a 3080ti and my bottleneck is the gpu. I can achieve more fps with DLSS which is great, but it needs sharpening or a better mode because even in “quality” is quite blurred.

I really don’t want to try dx12 because many people say it is still bugged and with less performance. Asobo and Microsoft should have started the sim thinking in dx12 but they didn’t. Now, it is more difficult for them. A pity because dx12 is a much better api for sims if you use it properly since the beginning.
It looks curious the difference in dx12 between Steamvr or Pimaxxr.

2 Likes

is it easy and safe to swap from dx12 to dx11?

Hi,

Maybe I missed something, but… what is “Pimaxxr” ??

Please enjoy

Its a simple way to switch to make pimax speak directly to the runtime of openXR, give a couple frames per second and saves nenory used by steamvr

When i start the open xr tool,can i just start my games through pitool(pitool experience home) like i do normal?

By the way if i start a game then i get a message from steam vr that steam vr open xr runtime is not standard…do i need to click set as standard in the steam vr message?

That’s SteamVR asking you to switch BACK to it. So you probaby don’t want to do that.

2 Likes

thx for the reply,but it still opens steam vr etc… is this normal?And whats the benifit?
So i need to start the games like i always do through pitool experience?

It is a big improvement when you use DLSS in VR to use it with Openxr toolkit “FSR” sharpening 100%. It improves a lot of the blurriness while giving you many frames with the DLSS feature.
3080ti, Pimax 8kx

1 Like

Crank up Pitools render scale.