FS2020 VR + Pimax Discussion

The WFOV issue was reported at the end of 2020 and the response during 2023 was officially announced to our dismay. Currently there is no other way to deal with the problem other than the openXRToolkit’s WOFV Hack.
Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue)- - Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums.

Very strong sunlight problem. sunglasses option exists in openXRToolkit, there are 3 types to try.

Stutters in a huge airport.
Photogrammetry objects are very heavy so stop using photogrammetry from option-data or set the LOD setting of the building lower, e.g. 100.

Turn off caching of map data as it causes stutters.
I prefer to use googlemap replacement because it caches on the app side and avoids stutters. googlemap is higher definition than the default bing map.

NIS&FSR artifacts
DLSS will be added in the official update scheduled for July. I think it will be a little better.

PP sacrifices resolution and makes the instruments look worse, but you may want to turn it on if you enjoy the view. It unnecessarily increases the perimeter resolution among other things, but there is no countermeasure for this because FFR is not very effective. I prefer PP OFF.

Before making these changes, the first thing to check is whether you have lifted the maxRecommendedResolution limit in steamvr.vrsettings.
Normally steamVR limits it to 4K resolution, so the benefit of FSR disappears.
The extra resolution in PP hits the limit at pitoll1.75+steamVR100%.
I have it set to 16K.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-exceed-the-maximum-resolution-of-4096px-imposed-by-steamvr/16067

Thank for the responses. I definitely will check out the SteamVR thing - haven’t messed with that much at all. A couple of questions: I haven’t seen much after some searches regarding the potential for success of fixing the left side issue in post using OpenXR toolkit - is that wishful thinking, or could the left side issue be fixed in a future release of that awesome platform? And - when I read descriptions of the culling issue after the WFOV hack in OpenXR, a lot of people seem to indicate it is minimal and easy to ignore - but for me it is a big issue - the left 20% of the display when facing forward basically blanks the terrain in big squares, and as you move along, those squares jump around and in and out of loading the actual scenery - even with FOV in Pitool set to 100 degrees. Am I experiencing this more than I should be? Or just more sensitive to it?

The hack has been around for a few weeks now and we’re glad to have at least it.
tUnfortunately, it cannot generate full-scale miracles because it can only process the erroneous data of the FS as a post process. :frowning:
Start without the Hack, then you will see what Asobo has let us live with since 2020.

1 Like

Oh for sure - I tried long ago before openXR toolkit… with the hack, I am on the fence as to if I could get used to it given the amazing performance gains. Without the hack, totally unplayable without PP regardless of performance.

As a result, we’ll have to wait for Masobo to have the grace to accept HMDs with angles greater than 100 degrees as existing :joy::see_no_evil:

It is not only the pimax, with culling problems.

1 Like

Woah, I don’t know if you realize that 45% is an incredibly aggressive setting which is obviously resulting in the degraded quality!

Are you sure you are even gaining from this? On my much lower res G2, just going from 100% → 70% literally puts me in a CPU-bound situation, aka nothing below 70% even helps.

I am doubtful it will help in this situation, with such aggressive settings.

DLSS requires 6-10x the horsepower of FSR/NIS (going from 0.5ms/frame to probably 3-4ms/frame), so in order to achieve the same performance gain as with FSR/NIS, they will need to lower the resolution even more (otherwise lose FPS). When already so low at 45%, this is just becoming ridiculous :slight_smile: and I don’t think DLSS will help making up so many pixels.

Well, my understanding is with my Pitool render at 1.75 it is kind of offsetting that. But I definitely don’t have a good understanding of all the interplay here. Before I had Pitool at 1.25 render and FSR at 85%. The image quality is about the same as with my current settings, but FPS is a bit higher with higher Pitool render setting and lower FSR setting. Maybe I’m misunderstanding. I don’t think I’m CPU bound. I’ll go back to a higher FSR but to get anything above 30 frames I’ll have to drop the Pitool render setting again. I’ll try 1.5 in Pitool and crank the FSR up to 60 or 70 as a mid point and see how that looks. I just finished another flight, decided to give up on the PP setting off. The culling is just too noticeable despite your noble efforts and giving up the extra FOV is just not worth the FPS. I hope Asobo addresses it. At any rate thanks for your reply and your excellent contribution to the community.

This is the actual one-eye resolution set at 100% steamVR. (pimax has a 3840x2160px display. There are additional pixels in the display and the aspect ratio does not necessarily match.)
pitool2.0 | 9664x6320
pitool1.75 | 8388x5528
pitool1.5 | 7188x4740
pitool1.25 | 5992x3948
pitool1.0 | 4792x3160

PP2.0 | 14784x7896
PP1.75 | 12936x6908
PP1.5 | 11088x5924
PP1.25 | 9240x4936
PP1.0 | 7392x3948

The GPU is not capable of rendering pitool 1.0 settings at full rate.
I think the upper limit is to draw about 2500-3000px horizontally at a typical FHD ratio.

For example, the base horizontal resolution at noPP1.75 with 45% FSR is 3774px, which is slightly over spec in my opinion and not an aggressive setting at all.
The 3.7K base image is sufficient for upscaling and is not problematic. It meets 98% of the display resolution.

Keeping the base resolution around 3K is important in my opinion.
At 8KX, pitool 1.5 and FSR 40% would be a comfortable setting on a high end GPU.

But I prefer higher loads as MSFS does not require 90 FPS.

I’m sad to hear that DLSS is under high load…

I’ll take the opposing bet: That DLSS will still improve performance x clarity overall.
I think your assessment is absolutely accurate. I’m not arguing technical details (I’d lose), but having seen the difference between DLSS and non-DLSS in RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, and ACC: I feel like the performance curve gets more or less shifted. For a person who wants clarity so bad that he’ll suffer lower FPS first, DLSS moves the curve in a way that - although the FPS gets hurt on the performance side - the clarity it offers can then easily be allowed to offset the FPS loss, which can then be traded back for FPS.

Taken to the extreme: 4ms is truly less important to a person playing at 30fps, which is exactly the kind of thing we ALL get with FS2020 (Don’t lie).

If I hadn’t seen this with RDR2, Cyberpunk and ACC I would in fact say it’s “hacky” - -and yes there are artifacts - - and yes it’s Nvidia only - but each of these games were UNPLAYABLE prior to DLSS. I had no choice other than CRAP FPS or CRAP clarity.

With DLSS both were brought into an acceptable range.

Time will tell. I can’t wait for Sim Update in July-ish (think August)

And for god’s sake don’t let another financial/political/supply crisis mess with me getting a 4090.

I GOT PIXELS TO PUSH!

2 Likes

I’m afraid that is going to be inevitable at this point…:frowning:

1 Like

Not necessarily. Here in Canada, I couldn’t get a 3080 for near 2 years without buying a whole computer. Bought a Zotac this week for pretty much MRSP.
Canada Computers finally getting lots of stock and are expecting even more. May depend on location but given how thin our choices can be in normal times (compared to USA), I’d say there is hope.

What’s the MSRP for a 3080 these days? My launch FE was 729 euros, and USD was 699$ – they haven’t dropped that low have they?

I think that DLSS uses “tensor cores” that are not usually used in the gpu. Therefore I expect better performance. In fact, Asobo has claimed that they are very happy with the future implentation. Maybe I’m wrong.

Yes but it still requires a lot of setup. Check out their doc:

Section 2.3, these numbers for high resolution are very high.

2 Likes

3.45ms for 7680x4320…I assume thats output. So in performance mode that’s using 4K to 8K. Yeah I have to agree that’s the resolutions we need for VR, so 4ms is a hit for sure/

At wits end with FS2020 and Pimax. Fresh system install of everything. MSFS does not recognize the headset. Launch PiTool, launch MSFS, then launch SteamVR (via PiTool). Headset is tracked correctly in SteamVR, yet when I Ctrl-Tab, it eventually times out with a “The initialization of VR failed. Please check that OpenXR is installed on your computer and your headset can use it”.

SteamVR is the current OpenXR Runtime (both in the Developer menu in SteamVR and the “steamxr_win64.json” is the runtime manifest in the registry and shows as the Unknown OpenXR Runtime in OpenXR Tools).

No other VR app is affected. My Index works with no problems whatsoever.

Any ideas of things to try?

Win11
RTX 3090 Ti (running 512.59)
PiTool .277
HMD Firmware - 255.299
SteamVR 1.22.12 (Both beta and non-beta versions have been tried)

If you’re using OpenXR Toolkit, one common caveat causing this after a fresh OS install is the missing VC++ runtime: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Thanks… No joy though. It didn’t appear installed (since I didn’t get the traditional Repair/Install dialog).

I did a complete uninstall/reinstall of OpenXR and SteamVR, and a clean reinstall of Pimax. Still nothing. This is OpenXR/SteamVR and Pimax related. I’m able to get the Pimax working in other VR titles, including X-Plane 11. Though not MSFS.

My Index works with no problem whatsoever. Back to using the Index just for MSFS.

If I remember correctly, you have to active beta mode for SteamVR in order to have openxr working ok.
This activation had to be done in Steam.

Nope. Not using SVR beta and VR in the sim works fine. Steam supports OpenXR as does Pimax. All I have ever done is start SVR, launch the sim and click OK when the sim prompts that it doesn’t support VR. Once in the aircraft I hit CTRL/Tab to switch to VR and space to re-center VR ( those being what is set in my settings). This has been the way since I bought the sim back around the time of launch.
Not using dllss or and third party tools. No developer settings related to OpenXR. No additional SVR dev setting. it just works.settings.
Ptool 261 Small fov PP on 144Hz Small fov. SVR 100% SVR Smooth On
RtX 3080 (1080ti before) I5 6600K@4.5 16gig DDr4/3200
Never had a problem getting the sim into VR