FS2020 VR + Pimax Discussion

Absolutely amazing!!

2 Likes

Sorry for this little hijacking @all,
@mbucchia is there info about OpenXR and DCS with pimax by any chance? I did not find any specific info so since I saw your name here I am taking the chance.

Edit: created a topic for it https://community.openmr.ai/t/dcs-steam-pimax-and-performance-gains-open-xr/38414

Great work!

One question - I can’t see the menu (it’s way off to the left). Is there a fix or a manual config file we can modify menu settings?

2 Likes

You can always run in flat-screen mode to change the menu settings. It’s a pain, but it works.

Hello,

You’re most welcome mate!

We do appreciate your hard works and time spent on this project!
Would love to see more from you.

Please let us know if you require more support from us!

3 Likes

I took a screenshot of MSFS2020 running at 8KX,pitool2.0[NIS40%]9588x6320per eye.
It appears that steamVR limits the maximum rendering resolution to 8192.

Two reduced 8192x5399 images were connected.
The result is a huge 16384x5399 image for both eyes.
Running at about 25-30 FPS.12700k&3090

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQZb8nEPtC5lYeJ0i1tVmT9OznXZ4iZD/view

The reason I didn’t notice any difference between pitool 2.0 and 1.75 results may be due to the limitations of steamVR.
pitool2.0 9588x6320 , pitool1.75 8388x5528, limit 8192x8192?

I seem to be able to set a little more reduced drawing cost.

1 Like

You can set / cancel this in an ini file. (also with PE, i mean)

But why do you drive such resolutions? :see_no_evil: :joy:

1 Like

Even with this huge resolution image I am observing aliasing. I am trying to ascertain if it is a limitation of 8KX or a rendering artifact.
And I am still looking for what are the less than perfect rendering elements.

For example, the aliasing is noticeable on the instrument and exterior edges of the plane.

I tried NIS On/Off with the resolution intact and saw an improvement in aliasing.
It seems that at least in this case it is not yet the limit of the 8KX screen. I am looking for such factors for a better setup.

1 Like

Aliasing is always found somewhere in digital imaging. That’s how it is with non-infinite frequencies.
The only (harware) remedy is to get the affected area smaller than half a device pixel.
Otherwise, only software helps - blur etc.

1 Like

In fact, it seems more realistic and better for image quality to raise the pre-NIS base resolution with PITOOL 1.25 than with PITOOL 2.0’s supersampling.
It still seems that the parameters and results need to be studied carefully.

2 Likes

Been working all week with @coverman on and off, and I’m pleased to announce that OpenXR Toolkit will support the Pimax eye tracker to bring (dynamic) foveated rendering to Flight Simulator!

We’ve gotten a little bit late on the release, but I’m hoping that this version 1.1 will come out in the next 2 weeks.

7 Likes

Found these settings on reddit and its amazing! everyone should try this:

COLOR FIX: All credit to MRTV Discord Server User “Pepie”.
In the PiTool, do it like this,
Channel Blue: Contrast +5 / Brightness -4
Channel Green: Contrast +4 / Brightness -3
Channel Red: contrast +2/ Brightness -5
and at last
All channels: Contrast +1 or +2 / Brightness -5 or -4 and click apply

3 Likes

Isn’t amazing. Dark colors drown completely in black.
Try
All - Contrast +2, Bright -2 or -3
Red - C +2, B -3
Green-C+2, B-4
Blue - C +2, B -3

2 Likes

Pitool RenderQuality 2.0, steamVR100%, NIS:width35%height41%FFR:ON
I got almost stable 30FPS.
The image seems to be displayed more clearly than with RenderQuality 1.0 to 1.5.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14npnC7qal3vbtWLibbNw54YMBSlSKPRM/view?usp=sharing

By entering LensDistortio0 in UserCfg.opt, I get proper video without using devmode.
I would have liked the ability to fill with a single color of the average when culling, an additional feature to place the third FFR ring at the 120% position, and 1/32 in FFR.

SU9 caused the lens flare in the left eye to appear displaced from the position of the sun during NoPP. Probably a post-processing miscalculation due to the tilted display. Does anyone else see this?

1 Like

Hi I have the model of Pimax 5K XR shown in the photo but I can’t get it to go with MFS2020
I can have some help and always about
the Pimax using it in DCS when I want to get closer to the cockpit the distance remains unchanged
thanks for the answer
Max

Can’t get it to go isn’t a lot of detail. FS2020 takes a real real long time to load sometimes and can appear to have hung on launch. It can also hang on launch :grinning:

For this (6dof = 9 axis) you need 1 or 2 base stations for tracking, and you need to enable it in Pitool. Without it, you are doomed on 3dof only (just turning your head works, moving not).

1 Like

Hi - I am relatively new to VR but love it for Flight Simulator. I have a 8Kx with a 3080Ti and have been trying to tweak settings to get a good mix of quality and performance. I posted over on the MSFS board, and someone suggested I join in the conversation here. I am using the OpenXR toolkit, and in the last couple days thanks to some suggestions over on the MSFS board, I have certainly unlocked some performance, but still have some quality issues (and maybe that is just the way it’s going to be). Basically, I turned off PP in Pitool and used the WFOV hack in the OpenXR toolkit, which really boosted my FPS… but the biggest issue I have is without PP, the left side has such bad artifacting on the left side that it is pretty distracting and very much breaks immersion. Maybe with time I could get used to it, but I did a fairly long flight last night and it was not great. It didn’t get better a/o I didn’t get used to it. I reduced my FOV in Pitool from 120 down to 100, which helps the problem some, but obviously a big tradeoff given the main benefit of the 8Kx is the wide FOV. Sucks too, because performance/FPS wise, it was great even at 120 FOV. Is there anything I can do to reduce the effect of not using PP in the left screen? It’s perfect on the right with the OpenXR hack enabled.

Here are the settings I’ve currently got:
Pitool: Render set to 1.75, FOV 100, no PP enabled
SteamVR: Resolution set to 100%
OpenXR: FSR @ 45%, Sharpness around 40%, FFR preset to quality - though I think FFR needs tweaking as it seems to cause some black lines/artificating when enabled, but with a modest preset, it is tolerable and does seem to add 3-4 FPS.
MSFS: Render scale 100, most items set at high or Ultra. Clouds on high, light shafts are off.

I edited the usercfg file for MSFS to get rid of the sharpness setting there.

Image quality is ok, though with these settings I get some noticeable flickering on objects when I am on the ground. Things looks pretty decent when in the air (aside from the normal complaint that everything is washed out in strong sunlight during most times of the day). Inside image quality is also “ok”. I fly the TBM pretty much always and with these settings, I can see most of the panel without having to lean in, though just barely. Would love higher quality inside look, even if sacrificing some outside detail.

With these settings I was consistently getting 40-50FPS, which is quite good compared to before turning off PP. With PP on, I always seemed to be in the 24-30FPS range, which was kind of OK, though after flying at 40-50FPS, it is definitely a very noticeable improvement. With PP off I was running Pitool at 1.25, 120 FOV, and OpenXR @80% FSR. The other big thing is with PP on, FPS would drop off substantially to the point of unplayable if flying into a larger airport, like ORD.

Does anyone have advice or guidance on reducing or eliminating the problem of all the artifacting in the left screen, or is that just not going to get better, and if so, advice on settings for ok performance with PP enabled? I haven’t tried enabling PP with even lower FSR setting and keeping the Pitool render setting high. As I am sure you all know, tweaking the settings is not easy - I can usually only come in and out of VR to reset things a couple of times in a session before memory leaks etc. cause MSFS to grind to a halt… so usually restarts are in order, which is soooo much fun.

1 Like

At this time, no. We’re all waiting for Asobo to finally pull the finger and do that little bit of programming. Unfortunately, they don’t want to do it yet and a solution was prophesied earliest for the year 2023.

Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue)- - Community Support / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

It is possible that many have already left in 23 and are in the air with XP12. :joy: