FS2020 VR + Pimax Discussion

FYI, when running FS2020 on 8KX, it seems like going with Render Quality 1 + PP and reducing SteamVR SS to 50-60% while keeping Render Scale in FS2020 at 100% gives a more detailed image and better framerate than running SteamVR SS 100% + PP and lowering the Render Scale in FS2020.

4 Likes

@SweViver I noticed your desktop view looks different than mine. I wonder if this has anything to do with the culling.

For me I literally did nothing but start the game up like normal from its desktop icon and press ctrl-tab. I already had PiTool running (and technically I didn’t have SteamVR running, that ran itself). And like I said, for Settings in PiTool I had nothing turned on except FFR was on balanced, no other options were checked.

Oh, that reminds me, maybe that’s what fixed the canted display issue - one of the things I tried while having that was to press the Home button to see if I could recenter the view in the SteamVR menu. Maybe that somehow fixed something…dunno, I was trying lots of things.

2 Likes

Nope, it looks the same in the main menu on my side (square edges).
But once you start a flight, it changes to the “rounded” image (basically the image that is sent to the panels)

1 Like

What are you using for that CPU/GPU usage? That looks a lot less intrusive than the Flight Sim developer FPS meter I normally use.

1 Like

Its just the good old MSI Afterburner (OSD). Only visible on monitor of course and not in VR view, and you can change the monitor position, add/remove values etc.

1 Like

Hi Dreamwriter,

are you using the Steam VR Version of the game or the Microsoft Store Version?

For myself my Pimax (besides of flickering Stars problem with the cable) is not recognized.

I´m using the Microsoft Store Version of the game.

Best Regards

Microsoft Store - through GamePass. The only thing I can suggest is maybe try running in the 8KX upscaled mode, whatever that’s called, since I have an 8K+, not an 8KX. I don’t know why that would affect anything though.

Here’s my in flight image. Squares instead of cropped edges. I wonder if this is something…

I deleted my steamvr.vrsettings file but no change.

Hi @SweViver, can you tell us how to enable flight simulator in the pimax 8kx.

Thanks for the info. Sadly this is not working for me.

I´m using also the MS GamePass Version of the game.

Things i tried so far but that did not help:

• Starting MS FS2020 with and without SteamVR running
  • Deinstalled Windows Mixed Reality Portal (Used for my G2)
  • Enabled and disabled GSync
  • Native / Upscaled Mode
  • PP/SS/FFR/Hiddenarea Mask/ Comp. Mode Vive Only Games: On/Off
  • Windows GameMode: On/Off

I updated the NVIDIA drivers to 460.89 and also checked the microsoft/steam updates.

Any Tipps are welcome. It seems that @VoodooDE has also some problems to use his pimax headsets.

Any ideas what might be the difference @SweViver @Dreamwriter ?

Best Regards

Do you have the hidden area mask in PiTool enabled?

Hmm it might be the fact Im using the Steam version of FS2020…

1 Like

Here are my setting after 150hrs of using VR beta, mainly in C152, hope it helps someone with performance tuning:

Ryzen 5 1600x
RTX 3080
16GB Ram

Refresh rate 64Hz, motion smoothing on.
Pitool 1.0
SteamVR resolution shows around 2600p vertical.
FOV Normal with PP off (don’t mind culling, prefer it over small FOV with PP on, similar performance).

For the most part i can keep sim smooth, above 32 FPS for motion smoothing to work, except for large photogrammetry cities and some large airports.
A320 and aircraft with glass instruments create stutter on my machine on lower but are generally OK at higher altitudes.
Can recommend installing prop mod to reduce motion smoothing artifacts.

3 Likes

Pimax 8kx, RTX3090, Steam Version here. Matched the settings above, however, I am getting huge black boxes covering 90% of the view (can only see a slight bit of the game to the right side of each eye. (Tried with both Hidden Area Mask on and off).

Is anyone else getting the black boxes?

Pimax 5k+ with the same problem… :frowning:

Thank you for sharing your settings!

3 Likes

This is exactly the same problem I had the first 3-4 times I started FS2020 in VR. After a few game-restarts, changing some settings (check post https://community.openmr.ai/t/fs2020-vr-pimax-discussion/34022/13?u=sweviver) the problem was suddenly gone and Im not even able to reproduce this anymore.

I suspect this gets solved after switching PC view to Window mode (from Fullscreen), and then enabling VR mode.

2 Likes

me too… big black box i see only 10% of the image 8KX - RTX 3090 , Ms Store version

Yes, indeed. Now that this seems to be out, I will be adding this stuff to my own spreadsheets…

… and configuring Joystick Gremlin with a control scheme for yet another set of aircraft! I knew this would happen, uggh!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes