First Impressions of the X from a person that doesn't care about color and doesn't see distortion from the 5K+

Maybe lack of sleep is what we all need. I do agree with you and @Virtualmisterl that this collor effect is somthing that is happening and is natural. It is physically what is happening and we all know it. How people perceive it is to each their own.VR is a trick in its purpose, what our brain processes and perceives. In well rested day to day life our brains just accept alot of input and processes it and discard tuns of information. Fatigue causes a lot of confusion in our normal prescriptions, same as when “mind altering chemicals” are introduced. Some use drugs (alcohol) to change prescriptions. We all enjoy VR to do some of the trick. Get us all wasted, tired, the right equipment and program and who knows what will happen. I guess we will all be some of the first to find out! Pimax is helping us get one step closer. Gabe N. from Valve recently said we are closer to the Matrix then we know, with their work with brain computer interface who knows what will happen. I’m on a crazy rant I know (which I am)! Just glad to enjoy VR technology, enjoy Pimax and the community!

Odd to see you title saying your not bothered by color and distortion and you bring it right up. You do say it’s not a problem just discussing it. " good thread " Thanks for your Pimax 8KX impressions! I’m just holding off for now to get my 8KX-ray Vision series! But still looking forward to it. THANKS

1 Like

Interesting. It sounds like something you are attuned to. Personally, I have several vision quirks, which I’ve noticed mostly because my dad was an optometrist. I am especially sensitive to flicker and aliased jaggies. I also see 4 kinds of visual auras, but luckily they are not associated with migraines (although I do get migraines sometimes).

I think I see something similar to what you have described: Sometimes, when I stare at a white ceiling, the white fades into light-bluish and light-greenish-yellowish patches. Generally, this happens when I’m in bed, just before turning off the light to go to sleep.

[update] Does the multicolored area (that you see in the white) have visible boundaries? If so, you might be seeing auras. I see one like this, but it’s round (like an oval) and tends to expand outwards and sometimes forms a ring. My aura is not limited to looking at screens. Any light colored area (like a light blue wall) will show this effect (which only happens a few times a day, typically).

3 Likes

What makes no sense is that quite a few of you refer to the FOV of the Pimax headsets as 170°, but mention the Reverb G2 with 114°. It’s 200° Vs 114°.

If you’re quoting diagonal FOV, do it right.

1 Like

No that’s not correct. The diagonal FoV is almost the same as the horizontal FoV, just a bit above 160 degrees. See Risa’s online DB: HMD Geometry Database | Collected geometry data from some commercially available VR headsets.

5 Likes

On my 5k+ I must have an eye problem because in many games I max contrast +5 and brightness -5.or very similar extreme variants per title…i obsess actually. I love contrast and don’t want much backlight unless shadows are hiding to much detail or night is to dark or contrast to bright. Most people I notice randomly here only adjust these settings very subtly but the picture looks washed out to me personally.

Not to veer to far off topic but is it just me guys?

HP claimed the previous model HP Reverb had the same FOV - 114°. I don’t know how they did it. My measuring is HP Reverb 90° Vs HTC VIVE 110°. I predict Reverb G2 has less that 100° - it is equal Pimax potato mode.

2 Likes

Pimax headsets are 160 Wide.

3 Likes

Then compare horizontal to horizontal.

Not horizontal to diagonal.

Pimax headsets aren’t 160 diagonal like Djonko stated. That’s wrong. Go ahead and measure it in VR itself. Why are people upvoting that?

If the tool showed that (which I doubt) it would be wrong, because observation says different. Go ahead, test it in VR, then come back. But don’t just repeat something without checking for yourself if there is that possibility.

2 Likes

Check the Database posted. Diagonal is indeed around the horizontal. A misnomer majority of headsets use is a diagonal FoV which is misleading…

Visual FoV tools are rough. Where as the tool pulls directly from what is requested to render. Plus there is a pic you can use in VD that also aligns with the tool.

3 Likes

I know some people like it at extreme levels, but I’m just trying to boost the colors a bit to counteract the LCD dullness a little, while keeping the colors natural. I generally don’t want to be playing in a cartoon world (unless it’s a cartoon style game).

4 Likes

But how do you measure a diagonal in vr? I think the only measuring test tool for FoV is Oscar’s tool but it only measures horizontal FoV. However with that we can already deduce that it’s not 200 like you claimed and it’s in fact at least closer to what Risas tool says. Why? Cause the horizontal FoV is 160. A horizontal FoV of 180 equals a diagonal FoV of 180 (take a ball and paint a straight line from pole to pole. Depending on how you turn the ball its either 180 horizontal, vertical or diagonal). So we know pimax’s diagonal FoV must be lower than 180. So risas tool is probably correct

3 Likes

I have no clue tbh. I just restarted my PC a few times. It seems that sometimes my power light glows purple instead of green and causes issues. There is usually Red which is OFF and Green which is ON but Purple is ???

Iirc, purple is ON with Parallel Projections ON.

3 Likes

Thanks. Tbh I don’t know why certain apps just refuse to run sometimes that probably the part that annoys me. I usually try messing with Pitool or restarting my computer and it works but it’s super annoying.

1 Like

No, it measures vertical FoV too.
The horizontal FOVs of the Pimax 8K are 120º, 140º and 158-160º. I didn’t measure “potatoes”.

3 Likes

AMD big Navi might even have better performance than Nvidia this time around (just leak speculation). I don’t know if Nvidia dlss 3.0 will even work in vr but it could make the extra AMD power useless in some cases.

I would also feel safer with Nvidia but this could get interesting unless AMD asks 3080ti prices for it… More than i want to spend. Again its all speculation i guess.

1 Like

For me, with my System and DCS/PD1.2, the image looks better and the performance graphs also.

5GHz/2080ti

@Heliosurge @Djonko @risa2000

if I understand correctly, the risa tool calculates the FOV based on the rendered pixels. However, it is not taken into account that the pixels are stretched somewhat in width at the edges. the human eye cannot twist enough there without causing horizontal distortion.

An exact measurement is not possible anyway.
if you are 5mm closer or farther from the lens, the FOV changes

BTW, the old Reverb is 95 horizontal

1 Like

Actually, the rendered FOV is advertised by the headset (driver). The only thing my tool calculates is how the application of the HAM changes the FOV and displays the values in degrees instead of tangents.

5 Likes

So we can talk about a deviation of the technical and the perceived field of vision.