First Impressions of the X from a person that doesn't care about color and doesn't see distortion from the 5K+

I get it on oled screens just the same.
But it doesn’t bother me much.
Dull colours are my biggest gripe with lcd vr screens though

No doubt one’s ability to see the canvas is also exacerbated by the fixed focal plane.

1 Like

A simpler test load up pictures of pure 1 color.

1 Like

This sounded interesdting to me, i don’t notice all those rainbow problems on my 4k tv, 1080p monitor, on mobile etc, white just looks like white. If I lean too close to it I start see separate pixels, but not when I use it at normal distance. I also don’t see this problem on 5k+ I see SDE gaps (brick wall) but white looks as white.

So I may conclude your eye lenses have some degree of chromatic abberation (the biglogical lense inside of your eyes).

I wonder do optimitrists can make a glasses that minimize this effect though.

1 Like

It could just be an optical illusion. Stare at a white wall and you’ll start to see noise in it.

4 Likes

I am pretty sure that what you are seeing is what is called Mura. From RoadToVR Article:

Mura

For various reasons, it’s challenging to make each pixel display exactly the same color, even if the computer output to the display is a frame consisting of one singular color value. Mura is the result of poor color and brightness consistency from one pixel to the next.

I also saw this when I tried the 8K+ which I called ‘screen dirtyness’ below:

As I said above, it isn’t a big problem in normal use cause it is mostly seen only in bright solid areas and can be ignored as it is subtle.

The reason it is easy to notice in 8K+ and 8KX (for some of us) is because with no SDE, the next level of imperfection becomes clearer to see.

I think screen technology needs to be improved to completely fix this … or they need to do some kind of per panel post-manufacture mura correction/calibration.

Also see discussion in this thread:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/does-every-hmd-on-the-market-have-mura/29391

4 Likes

who’s doing that? this is the first I’m hearingof this.

I would never go amd, guaranteed to have compatibility issues I bet DFR won’t even work.

Amd is fine for basic use but If you like to tinker with all the things that the pc can do, nvidia is the only safe bet.

2 Likes

I’m one of them. Well I said that if I receive my G2 before my 8k-X, I will cancel the 8k-X.

To me VR is much more than just FoV and the G2 seems better in quite a few aspects like colors, brightness, distortion, refresh rate and audio. Tracking is definitely good enough for me so it’s primarily only the FoV that is better on the 8k-X. And I don’t care too much for the Pimax FoV because of the lenses. To me Pimax lenses make me feel more like looking into a VR world than actually being there.

I pre-ordered the 8k-X primarily for the resolution, not so much for the FoV. And re-selling the 8k-X is difficult here in my small country, I’ll definitely lose quite a bit. So if the G2 arrives first and I like it, yeah I’ll cancel the X.

4 Likes

Try going into “My documents” and clearing the settings files for the game .

I had a similar issue when I first got my 5k+.

I had the game set internally to some super high setting which worked with OG Rifts. But with Pimax would cause weird errors like you describe.

1 Like

I have had both Nvidia and Amd gpu in my rigs over the years. Right now it’s a 2080ti. What I would love to see is Amd come out with competitive high end gpu. We as consumers need compition to keep prices at least where I don’t have sell my body organs to afford. Lol

4 Likes

how did you get it to work?

you seem very intent on refuting his claims on what @generic is actually seeing.

Everyones eyes are different, or were you hoping that by reading all of that you coukd chsnge his brainwave pattern and therefore affect is psychological problem of seeing imaginary SDE.

haha in othet words you"re saying either he’s superman or a psycho for seeing sde. Clearly he’ just looking at the screen wrong.

ROFL

(8K)X-Ray (Vision).

get it?:joy:

1 Like

I guess , but I wonder if it would be possivle to try both and return the one you dont like after comparison.

Although if tje return policy is up on the one you get first then that would be a problem.

1 Like

true , its funny though I would never buy AMD the only reason I want them around is so that we dont get another $2000 nvidia GPU.

Nvidia thinks they can just do what they want at this point.

3 Likes

I agree. Hell I ve had many different gpus… 3dfx…matrox triplehead…Amd… Nvidia. Let’s hope Amd gets gpu act together like they have with CPU . I m not fanboy of any company honestly. I have Amd CPU and Nvidia gpu in rig now.

2 Likes

That is incorrect. The chromatic aberration appears when rays pass through under an angle. That is the reason we see more chromatic aberration on edges.
Even very expansive photo lens has this issue. Nowadays image processing compensate it pretty well. So, Pimax can easily reduce the issue just fixing the software.

I know. Thats what I meant, that I don’t believe it is.
You know when you wipe a greasy fingerprint on a phone screen.
Then when on a white background get the really obvious coloured rainbow effect as the light shines through the greasy mark.
Well I see a mild uniformed version of that on all screens displaying white.
It’s not limited to vr headsets.
I’ve always noticed it on tv & phone screens too.

Thats an interesting theory & possibly correct.
I have had perfect vision up to about 2 years ago but I now seem to be gradually losing my long sight although short sight & using vr headsets is still perfect.
I’ve always seen this probably best described as slightly colourful/pearlescent white on all screens.
But on real life whites I don’t experience it