Eyestrain discussion / Problems and Solutions

No your not.

Put it this way i sell 5000 headsets in total. 4500 ppl give great reviews on 3 social platforms. Now with what your saying i csn say 13500 people say my product is great almost 3x the number built & sold.

Hope you now understand.

My ipd is almost exactly symetric - i have to move the headset left and right by quite a large adjustment, like several mm either way when my left and right ipd from centre is like 0.1mm difference.

2 Likes

Sorry no 4500 ppl gave great reviews…

And I did not say anything about 3x.

You really have a weird way of managing this forum.

No big deal though. Tell your Pimax friends to find a fix to this IPD problem. That will do it.

2 Likes

Then don’t add reddit + youtube + other sources as 1 volume of complaints. As tge numbers will have the same ppl posting in each making a number seem better than it is. What your doing is trolling/spamming this needlessly.

i think you nail it here :slight_smile: two wheels would do it, i did an eyetest recently( vision was 120% overall so i was happy) but when measuring the ipd the optometrist said there is a difference in distance between the left and right eye to the center of the nose. I think this is the problem with my left eye getting blurred easely in the headset. It’s getting better closer to the lenses i just discovered.

3 Likes

I also have similar case with my eyes, left eye stronger, and off .02mm like 30.98 vs 31.02 total 62mm. However no other VR hmd on earth like GO, Rift, Vive, and PSVR gives me the eyestrain that my 5k+ does. What is wrong with me?

Another evening of testing and more analysis of the eye strain issue I’m having. I wanted to take IPD out of the equation as I already no the IPD range was lied about and does not go as low as Pimax states. That still didn’t explain the warping issues I’m having.

I blocked one eye completely. I adjusted the IPD across its entire range and at the same time hand held the headset in front of my eyes moving it relative to my eye to try and resolve the clearest image. I then rotated my head and the headset looking left and right and could clearly see distortion on the inside of the lens (nearest my nose). The image was warping really badly. This happened irrespective of IPD setting or eye to lens position. It was completely repeatable and has nothing to do with the outside edge distortion that everybody sees.

Now I unblocked the second lens. The area which is warping on the nose side of the first lens is now properly rendered slightly right of center of the other lens and is not warping.

So we have a stereo rendered geometry which is being rendered differently in both eyes. It’s no wonder it’s causing eye strain.

This leads me to question the lenses themselves (as not everyone seems to have this issue). What conclusions can be drawn. I’ve three possible theories:

• There is a defect in some of the lens manufacturing.
  • There is a defect in the lens fitment relative to the screens.
  • The distortion profile is incorrect due to slight variance in either of the two above.

Could this be fixed with software? Maybe we need a manually adjustable distortion profile via pitool.

3 Likes

I haven’t yet figured out how to get the HMD to show the IPD setting jpeg? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Wow, this is getting really excited…

IPD issue is the most critical one for Pimax!

2 Likes

have you tried as close as possible to the lenses?
My eyes seem much more relaxed and ther is less lensoverlap and bigger fov, there is only more distortion on the outer edges. iwith the steamvr overlay when i move my head the outeredge of the steamscreen is warping, like turning a page in a book

3 Likes

What I’m saying is there is more to this problem than just IPD. We are dealing with non co-planar displays. The displays are fixed and the lenses move. Do pimax adjust the distortion profile based on the IPD value (lens position) read by the headset? I dunno but based on my test it doesn’t seem like they do. If they don’t then having narrow IPD could be making the distortion worse.

I also manually edited the stored IPD in the JSON file and could see no difference in the distortion issue in the area on the nose side of the lenses. Something which again makes me believe the distortion profile is fixed.

People who say that the eye position needs to be adjusted relative to the lenses to mitigate distortion assume the lens position relative to the screen is correct. It may not be.

4 Likes

Well I agree with the 2 adjustment for both lenses, but not the eyes are equidistant from the center, as I can just move the HMD left/Right to get the lenses central, and as I can see the rings of the fresnel lenses in some lighting conditions, and can clearly see if the HMD is positioned central and if I center the HMD then the center ring in My right eye is to the right of My line of sight, and the left central fresnel ring is to the left of My left eye. but this makes both eye slightly out of focus. I need both lenses closer together.

1 Like

What happens if you move the hmd further from your face?

if i do i see better and feel less eye strain
feels like i need both lens closer but also always felt like my right lens wasn’t like the left.

1 Like

Rarities are often interesting.

The file has to be spelled exactly the same. Someone said it’s in the pimax\resource directory. Look in the pimax directory for this file.

Make sure it is named “pimax_default.jpg” And its in " C:\Program Files\Pimax\Runtime\resource"

1 Like

This is were we should look up @VRGIMP27 monscopic? Images & load into an apropiate veiwer as it should be a way to align properly & test this type of rendering as it would cut gpu costs greatly.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Iirc, your IPD is 62 mm, which should be achievable. Clearly, the Pimax headset is not a one-size-fits-all device.

1 Like

Something deginitely off as pimaxusa ssid his is 59.x & works.