Eyestrain discussion / Problems and Solutions

@anon74848233 @Matthew.Xu @PimaxUSA @Sean.Huang @Doman.Chen @Alan.sun @PimaxVR @Pimax-Support @deletedpimaxrep1

Can we please get a status update on what Pimax’s plan is to address the eye-strain and IPD discrepancy issues many people are reporting, such as these backers? https://community.openmr.ai/t/the-pimax-5k-is-garbage/16916/23

I know Pimax has stated theyre looking at releasing a new facial foam to address distortions, I would suggest that a PSVR styled headstrap is looked at to connect to the HMD at the top, allowing for the headset to be angled upwards or downwards and in/out closer and away from the face to address distortions.

This issue of distortion is separate to IPD measurement discrepancies from other consumer vr headsets like vive or oculus, which create confusion as to the correct measurement for set up, and the eye strain is another seperate and more important issue to address, which can make the 5k+ and 8k impossible to use for some people. For compatibility improvements, maybe parralell projections and brainwarp should be left on by default to minimise compatibility issues for most use case scenarios, or an auto detect feature for parralel projection to set it on if its required due to the rendering of content.

Also any news about the pitool settings profile saver and pitool colour/contrast/gamma/saturation/sharpness settings for pitool? Maybe some news about this could address peoples concerns that the 5k+ is too dull compared to OLED vr displays, and to make setup for games a lot easier and faster.

The IPD issues identified are as follows:

1. Minimum physical IPD amount on each headset is not minimum 55mm, it varies from 55mm-60mm headset to headset.
    (whether this issue is a result of minor physical discrepancies between each headset affecting minimim IPD measurement slightly and caused by manufacturing differences in lenses and production, or if it’s caused by software issues reporting incorrect IPD measurements is yet to be seen.)

2. IPD software measurement shown on display when the IPD wheel is adjusted on the headset is around 3mm-10mm off to the actual physical IPD measurement

3. Some headsets have discrepencies/inconsistent and incorrect values between the measurements on the IPD adjustment wheel on the headset and the measurement shown on the display when the IPD wheel is adjusted.

As for eye strain, maybe fixing the above mentioned IPD issues by offering a paid lens replacement if its required will fix the eye strain problems for many if its not resolveable by software changes of the IPD reading.

Here are some of the potential causes as to why correct IPD measurements do not work on Pimax headsets, when they work on the Vive and Oculus

Correct minimal physical lens distance measurement (physically 55mm apart), but incorrect software reading.
Assuming the software IPD readings pitool gives are often incorrect and the actual physical minimum IPD on the headset hardware is in fact 55mm, someone whos minimum IPD measurement is 60mm on pitool might need to add an additional 5mm more than the (perceived correct and optometrist measured) IPD measurement given on screen, whereas if it says 58mm minimum then an additional 3mm to real IPD measurement might need to be added.
That’s complete conjecture though to try and explain this and needs to be tested.

Incorrect physical lens measurement (not 55mm, but rather closer to 60-65mm), and incorrect software reading (reporting less than it is).
It could also be the other way around, that the minimum physical IPD setting possible by adjusting headset hardware is not 55mm, and it is in fact 60-65mm physical minimum IPD between both lenses, and the software reports a lesser reading to what the physical lens IPD measurement is, and that may account for the discrepancy between software IPD readings in pitool and physical IPD measurements not aligning, because software reports that the IPD is less than it actually is, and the reason why 3-10mm must be added in Pitool for an accurate IPD.

Solution for IPD discrepancy/Eye strain:
Offer backers solution for 150 FOV lens replacements to fix IPD issues, available for purchase by sending in to Pimax office for $100 upgrade lens/lens adapter at the cost of the backer, or using the $100 voucher if the backer has one. Also allow setting of IPD of each eye in software, for those with asymmetrical faces, and an IPD setting graphic on startup displayed on screen as shown in this thread, to assist in setting the correct IPD, as oculus rift has.

Solution for SDE complaints:
Consider offering a solution to completely eliminate SDE at the same time by selling an Anti-SDE solution as a send in upgrade, and on 8k and 5k+ Pro models as well, as well as the smaller fov lenses with lens adapters.

Solution for dull colour:
Implement a colour settings in pitool for contrast, saturation, sharpness, and gamma into pitool.

Solution for easier plug and play functionality:
Pitool settings profile saver for each game, and brainwarp and parralel projections automatically enabled until a code is written to assess and enable parralel projections in each game when it’s required for rendering correctly.

23 Likes

Pimax should give Devs a deadline before removing the Parralel Projection feature.

All VR games should run normally. It’s down to Devs to fix this.

Pimax users shouldn’t be responsible for switching this feature on and off per individual game.

Let’s make VR easy to set up and the experience an enjoyable one.

4 Likes

Yeah for sure Pimax needs better plug and play functionality, maybe parralell projections and brainwarp should be left on by default to minimise compatibility issues for most use case scenarios.

The IPD/eye strain issues should be looked at and fixed for future models, and if that requires a hardware modification, whomever wants that lens upgrade should pay for it and for shipping fees, acknowledging they got an earlier prototype so thats what happens, if the lenses do need to be physically modified along with software / wheel calibration for ipd adjustment and display.

It might not be the solution some people want to hear, but as it currently stands the eye strain and IPD issues need correcting and improving, and backing the first models of products, devkits or prototypes on kickstarter result in products which have some issues that need improving, a reality and compromise one makes for backing a product and receiving it early.

1 Like

I would never remove the compatability optiom as some programs will never be revisted to be upgraded.

It is a needed option.

11 Likes

Indeed leave it on & tweakers can turn on & off.

Pimax did say they would look into a detection for pp. But with that it currently needs a reset may still make things difficult for Joe.

2 Likes

Asked on other threads too but no answers. Pimax, how about showing that you give a damn about your backers?

5 Likes

I said in the other post I disagree with this approach, not being able to support properly below 64 IPD, is nothing like bad drivers, or promising 90hz 8k, but giving 80hz, IPD adjustment is the heart of a VR headset. It is very important.

Just now, I talked to a friend of mine who preordered and recieved his headset. He has an IPD of 65, he is very VR veteran (I was the reason who pushed him to preorder) and he said he is also having some weird strain in his eyes altough he read most of the topics in the forum and literally tried his best to adjust the positioning of the hmd.

I just hope nothing is wrong with lenses, and this issue can be corrected with an IPD slider and or/and picture profile.

However if it is not, I would prefer Pimax team to ship a replacement lens with future strech goal deliveries to correct the problem who reports it.

This is a very crucial fact for the long success of Pimax 8k series headsets.

Hopefully, Pimax start offering a solution that really works!

9 Likes

Swap the default.jpeg

Try this one

Uploaded by one of the members.

There is also @neelrocker’s simulated oculus metthod.

4 Likes

Just tried this image, and I defiantly need lenses closer together (smaller IPD than 60) for a nice clear image.

3 Likes

You can read my post https://community.openmr.ai/t/clarifying-near-ipd-x-distant-ipd-confusion/14809 why it is not possible to use this method (clear image in both eyes) for correct IPD setting.

Then you can read my other post https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-native-projection-and-pre-lens-warp-transformation/15775 about how static image is rendered and why it is not suitable for IPD setting.

3 Likes

Not using it for IPD settings, I am using it to get the image directly in front of me in focus, and I cant, as the lenses need to go closer together and they do not.

1 Like

I’m using Pitool 109 and that jpg doesn’t work for me, nothing is displayed. Anyone else got it working with this Pitool version and if so how?

Yes its working, double check the filename it must be exactly the same.
Then restart the pi-something… everything. Or reboot the Pc and so on.

1 Like

Make sure it is named “pimax_default.jpg”
And its in " C:\Program Files\Pimax\Runtime\resource"

1 Like

Restart PiServiceLauncher.exe service.

3 Likes

Well, I thought you were trying to set up an IPD. Technically, it is possible to set the lenses on the headset in such a way that you will see the cross clearly, but the outcome of this exercise is basically useless, because it will set a wrong IPD and therefore distort the projected angular verity of both eyes, possibly leading to other issues.

1 Like

I am just trying to get the image in front of me in focus, and to do so I need the lenses to go closer together. try setting you IPD as high as it will go , this is how I see the image at IPD 60.

1 Like

What is your real IPD?

This thread should be bumped until Pimax acknowledges these issues and indicates what their proposed plan of action might be to address these issue for backers and users who are simply unable to use the 5k+ and 8k due to too low IPD unsupported because interior lenses are too big and/or eye-strain making it unuseable.

6 Likes

20 f,n ascii characters.

1 Like