Eyestrain discussion / Problems and Solutions

Also spent 3 hours with a considerable number of nvidia engineers Monday night before the event setting up the booth. At least 3 of them were backers who had received their headset, they were excited and happy - all said best device that exists. We actually had a great deal of fun, probably the most fun I’ve had setting up a booth in all my years doing this. Zero mention from anyone of unplayability, problems etc… from even one person.

5 Likes

That’s great to hear, there is still 6 backers (likely friends) who independently tested each others headsets and all had issues, as do some other users.

I agree with your previous post, in that the issues may be adequately addressed, for the most part and for most users, with slight software corrections.

But I also think the reports of extreme IPD issues/eyestrain and fisheye distortion may have been caused by a bad production batch considering those testers, and users like @bosnaboi who have issues at 64mm IPD and extreme fisheye distortion where other users with the same IPD don’t report those issues.

2 Likes

I’d point out, it worked out great because yesterday was my 50th birthday - the show is great fun talking to so many VR enthusiasts who share my interest. I estimate at least 30 people I saw yesterday alone had our headsets - one would think somebody would at least ask for optical improvements somewhere in a 5-10 minute conversation. Only requests from a backers yesterday were 3 requests for game profiles that remember all the settings.

8 Likes

I think a lens mod would be highly appreciated for some to get the smaller IPD range down to 55mm as the manual says, as some may have purchased under the premise they could use the product with those lower 55-60mm IPD ranges. Maybe you can remove the interior lenses and replace it with a compressible rubber adapter surrounding the lens so it still fits the same lens socket.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday tbh did think you were younger after meeting you.

2 Likes

Happy birthday! :partying_face: I’m surprised no one mentioned a colour profile tool considerimg how crazy everyone is about oled screens, and that the controller designs have a less obstructive tracking ring. What happened to the news that Pimax was going to show their new revised controller design at GDC without the wrist-ring styled tracking ring? Now they’re not?

Edit: Nevermind you said that they would be shown leading up to april

2 Likes

Something to explore for sure with that miss as all headsets with standard round lenses seem to be 60mm limited. Grounding 2-3mm might make things easier but might create other issues.

Eye tracking might be best overall fix.

3 Likes

I see daily back and forth on the controllers. Hoped to show the new ones at the show today but they didn’t make it. Two sides to the development effort, hardware dev and driver support. Team working hard on the latter.

4 Likes

@PimaxUSA Are you guys waiting on a one cable solution for the 8K X? Is there a possibility for versions with Anti-SDE tech like the Ody+ or an oled version of the 8KX and 8K in the years to come when the tech is available? (I’ve heard there’s a lot of new oled screen tech thats coming out this year)

1 Like

I believe you mentioned you would release all the different face foam options at the convention?

1 Like

@PimaxUSA. Thanks for the reply. I don’t doubt that my issue is a fringe case. I have said that before. If it was widespread then it would be much more heavily publicized. That aside the fact the distortion is immediately visible to me on the side of the lens nearest the nose even with one eye closed makes me think something is amiss. The eye strain I suffer after ~10mins of use may or may not be related to that. I’m still awaiting instructions on my supen (2706) about how best to return the unit to Shanghai.

Hopefully Pimax engineers will be able to enlighten me as to what’s going on once they examine the unit.

2 Likes

we realy got the exact same issue, whats your ipd? and what year and week was you HMD manufactured? You can se it in the middle of the SN code.

I got the answer that i have to wait until tomorrow, to see if they could fix this with a software solution.

1 Like

I have an IPD of 58.9. How do I interpret the SN number? I don’t see any sequence that is obviously a date.

1 Like

@PimaxUSA i got the same problem as RiftFlyer is there a possibility to get somehow a replacement, i got the answer that i have to wait until they check this internal. I would gladly return it and get a other without problems, they can do so much testing with it as they want. My IPD is avarage 64 and also my wife and a friend got the same problem with my HMD.

just to check if we got a similar manufacture date.

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA you should make a note to see if its possible to have @bosnaboi’s headset tested with @RiftFlyer’s, since they’re both experiencing the same issues, as well as anyone else with suspect headsets that have heavy distortion, eye strain or IPD problems. There’s quite a few users in this thread that should all have their hmds tested together to figure out what it is, though I’m not sure if everyone like @RobCram or @KoalaJoyeux are experiencing the exact same problems as bosnaboi and RiftFlyer are.

1 Like

@anon74848233 posted at one time reading serial for date. (Think @TrevorVR posted a link to it)

However that would be a final assembly date. Dates of componets will be different.

Ie bottling plant:

• bottle preform has date
  • Cap has mfg date
  • label has date made
  • once bottle filled date & Best before date

A formed bottle is stamped as well.

2 Likes

Well I just turned my headset over to check the SN number and what do I see?

Looks like I’m in the polymer cooling club on top of everything else.

My Headset was assembled in the last week of 2018.

1 Like

I agree. The scientific method is always the place to go when valid data needs to be generated. I also think to catch the fringe elements we can and should implement some additional software adjustments that the user can control and save. What would be cool is if user profiles were fully implemented where personal settings like adjustments are stored in a full profile.

7 Likes

That would be awesome and useful in the event Pimax decides to do something like distortion correction profiles for each fov setting or for different face types, or manually set distortion profiles.

I’m not sure it’s possible with the current designs but I’d suggest individual ipd adjustment as well in software, if not maybe do two ipd wheels one for each eye in the ruggedized versions? I also suggest putting a proximity sensor in the ruggedized models like the M1 and M2 had so theres no intermittancy or disconnect issues that require a complete reboot to fix. I’d also really like to see an anti-sde solution in future models and oled versions of the 8k and 8k x when the screens are suitable.

3 Likes