Eyestrain discussion / Problems and Solutions

What do you think causes the world to get distorted and become fish eye like with increased object sizes on some headsets but not on others? Could it have been a defective batch or a batch with a bad version of firmware loaded onto it?

I think some of that might be caused by increasing the face-pad thickness, like many users have done. I’m only using the 14mm pad which came with my 8K.

As for the “increased object sizes”, that might be a game-specific issue. I don’t really know. I’ve mostly played Elite Dangerous, but I also have played Titanic VR and Simple VR Video Player. None of these seem to exhibit a scale problem. (I’m assuming that ED’s “pilot arms look a little too small” isn’t actually an issue and would look like that on other headsets, but I don’t own any other headsets, so I can’t do any comparison testing.)

1 Like

Elite has had this problem from way back in 2014.

3 Likes

I got a response from support who suggested they will take a look at some HMDs and see if the problem is an assembly line issue. If not they will look into a software fix. Failing that and over the longer term a possible hardware revision.

Before you raise the pitchforks. Don’t read into that last part too much because of no specific details being provided. Yes it would suck to have to purchase a new headset if it came to that.

I have suggested to them that if this is something the end user could possibly fix or send in to be adjusted, then that is a more favorable approach. Let’s just hope they can get it sorted either way.

@anon74848233 - due to how many users are interested in this particular topic of discussion it would be beneficial if an announcement was made rather than my comment. Although I understand it might be quite difficult to make a statement when nothing is concrete at this stage. Obviously you do not want to raise peoples hopes too much or promise stuff that might not happen. Or have to deal with those who believe they deserve a replacement at no extra cost to themselves just because.

7 Likes

as you see in this video, it is realy easy to take of the lenses and face foam holder https://youtu.be/m2IHzSVmWhM?t=8170 , so if they come up with a fix, a new lenses set would be also possible, i would also pay for new lenses if they could fix the IPD problem

4 Likes

Ahh cool so does that mean nothing mechanical needs to be changed. A slightly adjusted lens could do the trick? I guess shipping two new lenses wouldn’t be that expensive or hard.

3 Likes

i think so, if you look at the lenses there is some space between of the edge of the lense and the middle of the circles. But i’m not a glasser or something like that. It looks just like if you could move the middle of the circles more to the edge.

1 Like

The Lens design is where the cost comes in. R&D we were around $50,000/ lens iteration. Meaning that a future lens can be made but will likely be a high retail cost vs say a Vive gearVR lens mod due to custom lenses.

At a guess might be $200 to $250/set. And will take time for the company to get to being green to go this route.

Now a small FoV lens mod might be easy for a dyi. (Maybe especially if distortion profile opened up)

thats a good idea and should be realy cheap in production, just cut some mm off, add a adapter to fit in lenses hole and fixed it with the right profile. espacially because the lenses are realy easy to remove.

The lenses are plastic, a good jigsaw should be able to cut threw it

I also received a reply on the IPD, blur, eye strain and warping issue I have with my 5k+. They have asked if I would send it back to them. I’ve agreed. Just waiting on instructions on how to do so.

1 Like

Ahh cool, this fits with what they said about testing released HMDs which reportedly have this issue to see if it’s an assembly line problem.

2 Likes

@anon74848233 @PimaxUSA

It’s fair and Pimax will need and should be given some time to deliberate and to assess different suspect headsets, but an announcement would be appreciated with an indication that they are looking into the IPD, extreme fisheye distortion and eye strain problems and will provide a fix for current affected models and future models, either if the problems are software or hardware related, and if eye strain or ipd issues are assessed as a hardware or lens problem; then the affected models can go for replacement or new lens modifications if it is because of that, and future models have this corrected/an addon for 190/160 fov lenses.

4 Likes

I agree they should be given some time to analyze the issues. I have no problem returning the headset for that purpose as it’s unusable for me as it is now. Hopefully they provide instructions for doing so soon.

2 Likes

I asked also for a replacement, because it’s unplayable for me, asked some people with the same IPD but no one have distortions on the inner side and a stretched image through that, this gives me realy headache when playing. Hope will get a answer soon.

2 Likes

Can’t wait future headset which do a deep scan of our eyes to adjust the lenses automatically.

3 Likes

Let’s see if there is a common difference of measured and used IPD setting:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/ipd-settings-poll/17431?u=pimel

1 Like

I imagine your issue must be a defect in the device itself or an eye symmetry issue (which could have a software oriented solution).

I’m at GTC and demoed the hmd’s to ~100+ people yesterday, we had zero people talk about “extreme fisheye”, distortions etc… I do spend about 30 seconds per person centering the headset and asking them to manually adjust IPD. We are also setup in ~7 booths at GDC during setup yesterday - asked developers about it and also zero mention. One of the testers yesterday was an optical engineer and he was amazed at how well we handle some difficult problems as he put it. He described anomalies are “barely noticeable”.

If the issue was endemic or rise to the degree described almost all of these people would be screaming high and low. Their experience seems to be similar to my own.

I do think visual symmetry issues are solvable via software improvements that can correct issues for fringe situations.

9 Likes

I think we need a study on those 2 to 5mm less than an ipd of 60mm to test really narrow ipd & than also on the opposite for really wide ipd.

Maybe we just got defect untis. I showed my unit to my wife and fried and both got this scale and distortion problem on inner site. A software fix would be a dream, i hope there is some method to do this. As for me it’s also unplayable at moment, got after short time headache and eye strains.

2 Likes