Eyestrain discussion / Problems and Solutions

@anon74848233 posted at one time reading serial for date. (Think @TrevorVR posted a link to it)

However that would be a final assembly date. Dates of componets will be different.

Ie bottling plant:

• bottle preform has date
  • Cap has mfg date
  • label has date made
  • once bottle filled date & Best before date

A formed bottle is stamped as well.

2 Likes

Well I just turned my headset over to check the SN number and what do I see?

Looks like I’m in the polymer cooling club on top of everything else.

My Headset was assembled in the last week of 2018.

1 Like

I agree. The scientific method is always the place to go when valid data needs to be generated. I also think to catch the fringe elements we can and should implement some additional software adjustments that the user can control and save. What would be cool is if user profiles were fully implemented where personal settings like adjustments are stored in a full profile.

7 Likes

That would be awesome and useful in the event Pimax decides to do something like distortion correction profiles for each fov setting or for different face types, or manually set distortion profiles.

I’m not sure it’s possible with the current designs but I’d suggest individual ipd adjustment as well in software, if not maybe do two ipd wheels one for each eye in the ruggedized versions? I also suggest putting a proximity sensor in the ruggedized models like the M1 and M2 had so theres no intermittancy or disconnect issues that require a complete reboot to fix. I’d also really like to see an anti-sde solution in future models and oled versions of the 8k and 8k x when the screens are suitable.

3 Likes

Happy birthday Kevin :partying_face: you are going well for fifty you don’t even look fourty .

3 Likes

I remember you saying the various face foam options would be released at GDC, I think that would solve many of these issues, have you presented these at GDC?

4 Likes

I am offered for an exchange but have high concerns that the new one will have the same problem.

Pimax need to give us more proof that we won’t have the same issue once we get the new one!

Any news on this that I am not able to follow.

Also, IPD and focus is a big deal… need to be addressed!

I am getting eye strain issues and can only get one eye very clear. My eye prescription shows my left monocular at 61 and right at 63. Would be great if we can get a setting to adjust this in software. Also any plans to use the eye tracking module to adjust the distortion profile like starvr one does?

3 Likes

Although, I have a middle of the road 66.7 IPD as per my optometrist, I found myself suffering some mild eye strain on more than one occasion in the last 2 weeks.
For my part, the situation was mostly due to the poor stability in the Pimax strap and the headset moving off the ideal position.
I sprung for a Vive DAS and it resolve the movement issue and most of the strain. What little is left is because I am too close to the lenses for my focal point. Moving it out a small amount (ordered some foam) I found the sweet spot.
The 2nd part of the issue is a slight difference in eye strength between my eyes. One is a half diopter weaker and it is hard to match the focus to optimum. What I did was dial in the stronger eye to ideal sharpness, close that eye and adjust the IPD until the weaker eye was at it’s best. This worked great and what I found was unlike the Rift where my IPD setting is my 66.7, the Pimax IPD is 66.2 at the sweet spot. This could change with added foam though.
It’s a guess, but I’m thinking because of the unique design where Pimax uses in angled panels the IPD is not carved in stone when it comes to real world measurement and requires the type of setup I adopted. Being, I found I had to lower it, this may be problematic for some of those with IPDs already pushing the low end.
I will update the findings when I add the new foam Friday.

7 Likes

@bosnaboi did they ever get back to you about a possible software fix like they promised?

I’m about to box mine up to return it. It’s costing €79 with DHL that I’ve been told by Pimax will be remimbursed! That’s calling for a lot of good faith on my part given some of the threads I’m reading. It better be cash transfer and not some nonsense store credit.

@RiftFlyer they will send me some face foams to test with, to see if that can solve my problem, don’t know if that foams are just thicker or if they got special shape or something, will see. Did they say to you, to return the unit or did you decided to do that? and didn’t they offer any other solution?
Just wondering because we got the same problem and they are handeling it on diffrent ways.

80€ that is hard, but i would pay it to be just able to enjoy the pimax, my unit is lying in the corner and waiting for a fix, can’t realy use it, everything is stretched and in wrong scale and after few minutes it gives me headache. Will get also in 1 - 2 weeks my 2080 ti and maybe that will make a little bit diffrence.

Feels a little bit like that when i’m playing :joy:

5 Likes

So no software fix then. I was told to return it. Will send it tomorrow and see what happens next. Since mine is cracking it’s going to need to be replaced either way.

1 Like

@RiftFlyer just wondering why they don’t want me to return the unit. What are all your issues of the pimax?

Severe distortion, eye strain and inability to get a low enough lens spacing for my IPD.

I have other issues but they are separate tickets. Faulty cable and cracked housing.

Ah ok nearly the same, but that Sweet spot issue, don’t know how they will fix it. I got a IPD of 64,5 and can’t even get the lenses close enough to get a clear image on both eyes. Do you also got a wrong world scale? everything is streched a little bit and about 20% bigger than in the other headsets.

Maybe because of your other issues they decided to just give you a another one.

How do I get these face foams?

You can’t i just get them to test if i can on this way solve my issues, i got distortions on inner site of lenses ,wrong world scaling and a little bit stretched image, that feels like to be a hobbit and gives me realy bad eye strains and i don’t have a special IPD, i just got the avarage 64 - 65 IPD, so they try to solve this without to replace my unit.

At the beginning i tried different methods to find best way to wear it and found although my ipd was 64 if i put to much extra padding on the face foam it caused blurry in one eye so for me if i increase any more than 5mm it starts to blur beyond any setting adjustment

1 Like

Well in reality all backers are supposed to get 3 face foams. Also, since distance from the screen is a needed adjustment for users to get a good experience they should ALLWAYS ship with 3 face foams. They are not and its causing some bad reviews on social media.

1 Like

I just can’t seem to get it right no matter what and i have 65 IPD. at 59.8IPD on screen it is the best but still feels a little off. I have 70mm measured as mimimal space between the lenses and i think thats why this problem is caused, I need 5mm more room for IPD to get the correct picture.
Manual says 55mm minimum so theres 15mm missing, because on screen 60mm is actually 70mm.

1 Like