Everything Sim Racing!

I have done some league races with RF2, but for me RF2 has always been a foreign environment and a league also needs a commitment. I like that I can race on iRacing whenever I want, even though today I mainly practice. I was a competitive amateur triathlete for 15 years, nowadays I just want to race for fun, not for achievements, I had enough competition - and those league guys were VERY serious about their racing.
In Mulitplayer races I had such huge slowdowns in VR there was nothing I could do. With a 5800X and a3080ti thats probably a different thing, but then again, not on my prio list, but IĀ“ll try it some day

1 Like

my beast

perfect with my pimax

11 Likes

Wow, that is dope!!!

1 Like

@virtualboy72 Very nice rig - I am thinking about adding TL & Surge to my setup which is otherwise very similar. Do you have any documentation or info on the build for some fellow inspiration :slight_smile: ? Did you go underslung surge to keep COG & footprint low profile? I am currently weighing up the proā€™s and cons of having surge above the SFX actuators (no axis translation but higher COG) or below in a neater setup like yours, sacrificing slightly the fact it will have a little axis translation but a lower COG.

Finished building my new VR/ Simracing computer

5 Likes

For the ones with a motion rig, do you lock the screen to the horizon, or use SW competition like Real Head Motion?

I have the lighthouse off the rig and in ACC canā€™t see any difference using the in game RHM and wondering if it makes sense to install the port from AC of the original software.

I have a 3dof SFX100 & I use OVRMC (https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/) with my 5k+, my 2x light houses are mounted off rig as they should be. Personally I use FlyPT Mover with a Thanos controller as it lets you use a ā€œvirtual trackerā€ so there is no hardware component of the motion compensation required and it doesnt suffer from any micro vibrations as a result. You can get away without using motion compensation software for flat circuits with limited camber but for anything like Nords, Spa, Cadwell etc (anything with significant changes in gradient and camber) your head will move about very unaturally inside the cockpit as a result of the motion rig. Motion compensation cancels out the rig movements so you remain static inside the VR environment even when your rig is fully tilted etc. Also very useful for flight sims if those are your thing.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Is 100% Lock to the Horizon the way to go? Iā€™m on 3DOF 1.5" D-BOX.

Direct Drive Wheel is just a Myth :point_down:

Pretty good comparison between the 8Kx and Triples

1 Like

Iā€™m embarrassed to post my sim rig I made out of 2ā€™ x 6ā€™ wood and plywood. :flushed:

5 Likes

Oh what the hell! :joy: It doesnā€™t look fancy but it works :wink:
Google Photos

8 Likes

TL;DW: Motion can be immersive but itā€™s not realistic. Duh.

1 Like

ā€¦Mythā€¦
When is done properly it can be realistic and satisfying
example nr 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dX_9394a4Q&t=9s

example nr 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPOZryARj04

3 Likes

Oh I agree. I run a DOFReality P6 with 6DOF. Seems good to me.

What those 2 you link to donā€™t have it front to back ā€œsurgeā€, which the P6 does. Itā€™s been a while since I watch the Heusinkveld video, but as I recall one of the things he complained about was motion sims donā€™t have the surge. Iā€™ll shut up now until go re-watch the video. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have 3 dof based prosimu actuators and DIY frame with 4x base-shakers plus SimShaker JetPad. Need upgrade as I donā€™t feel surge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I implemented a VR plugin for old game called GTR2 (and VR part of a plugin got ported to AMS1 by my partner). Native Pimax rendering is supported there, lots of GPU headroom (as CPU holds game back in some cases). Not exactly an eye candy, but GTR2 is very feature rich game, it has safety car, no ghosting, a lot of penalties/rules, decent damage (burning engines, flying parts), decent physics, basic weather, day/night transitions. FFB is not as detailed as rF2, but it doesnā€™t matter with motion/transducers. And yeah, motion, shakers, DD wheel all work just fine here :slight_smile: You can find plugin and its manual at thecrewchief.org.

3 Likes

Looks like it works. Is that the Pimax 5k?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s older pic. Could be 5k+ I gave that to my son when I got 8kx.

2 Likes