Everything Sim Racing!

The Linus review was a hit job… The Yaw 1 is great IMHO! It might need a counter balance depending on your weight and what you plan to do with it… sim racing definitely not its strong point and will for sure need weight on the back to keep balanced, flying not at all in my case!

As for the software, I use a 3rd party setup called Sim Racing Studio and it is excellent! If I were you I would hold out for the Yaw 2 but with over 1200 backers it’s gonna be a long wait! I’m hoping they send my new review unit out soon since the backer units start to ship in September so I will have a more informed opinion on the second gen after that. If you want a motion rig for Sim Racing look at the DOF Reality as I hear they are the best in that regard.

3 Likes

The Yaw 2 attraction is that it is versatile from the looks of it and the price is quite low. Not sure why would you think Linus video is a hit job.

Because I don’t like most of what he does… I guess he wasn’t paid enough to actually take the time form a true opinion! Like the fact he said it took him 2 days to set up… LOL… It takes maybe an hour tops! He rushed through it and didn’t actually take the time to learn how to use the device as this is not plug n play!!! Even for someone as tech savvy as I am it took weeks to figure out the right balance of settings and which software to use and then there was the struggles of getting motion compensation nailed down. Well until I realized that my Pimax headsets were the only way to go for that since it is built into the Pitool… I used to like Linus before he became a sell out and a true schill! :rofl:

2 Likes

OK, so basically, for balancing the unit is seem the software or documentation isn’t quite there yet. Does it offer pre-program settings as a base for different experiences, like Flying, car racing etc…? Taking weeks is a long time investment to get it all balanced. Maybe I’ll hold of and see how version two reviews.

On the software side Sim Racing Studio allows you to fine tune everything and as for actual balance just attach a counter weight to the back if using wheel and pedals but yeah… again, the Yaw 2 will solve for a lot of that as I really feel it will be their first true consumer product… The Yaw 1 is definitely more for enthusiasts who like to tinker with and MOD stuff!

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

What you guys think of this setup for a cockpit?

1 Like

Stick to simlabs. It’s the most modular and you DIY anything later on top of it.

4 Likes

Can I get those in Asia? let me look

1 Like

Yeah, remember old school LTT? Before he became successful and his EGO inflated?

I used to watch his channel religously back in the day he was one the only Canadian based tech channel that reviewed pc parts and tech that I myself was likely to use.

At some point his channel started to become less about helping out us normal poor folk make informed decisions about normal products, and more about look at me lets build a pc with a $10000 Gigabyte motherboard that’s so rare they only made 2!, so I can install it it my obscenly nice house in my 9 year old sons server closet because my old $10000 server just isn’t cutting it any more. ( First world problems)

Or lets build a pc with 4 Titans in SLI , or look at me I bought all of my employees $10000 razer blade laptops just cus, or lets create an entire fan expo named after me and have every other major tech youtuber talk about hiw great I am.

I just got sick of him.

Then the last straw was him crapping on VR and declaring it dead less than a year in and then repeating to do so at least once a yeat until recently when he put out a video claiming he was wrong…lol I could have told him that 7 years ago.:rofl:

I’ll watch the occasional Techlinked video nowadays its usually better when he has Rikey or the other guys hist it though…Linus cones across as that boss that tries too hard to look cool.

1 Like

He’s not by chance hiring is he? Asking for a friend. :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

This is a popular one you referenced and a solid option bc it comes with 80/20 profile. If you’re starting with a simple wheel/pedal combo which I think is a good idea to see if sim racing sticks before you dump a bunch of money into it, you don’t need an 80/20 rig like this in my opinion. I’d strap it to a desk and put pedals on the floor first to see if it’s addictive. I also wouldn’t buy a combined rig if you decide to take the plunge. You can throw any seat on 80 20 profile, so I’d recommend getting an 80/20 sim racing chassis, and choosing a seat that fits you separately.

I started with a playseat combo a long time ago, I’ve had 3 more chassis’s and 4 more seats since then. If I could do anything different, it would’ve been to save money and just stick with a chair and a table, and then buy the best all at once instead of small upgrades that require other upgrades all the time.

This company is not US but the price to your doorstep ends up being similar to prices here, and they have tons of stuff:

Here’s a US-based company, the sim-lab chassis looks a bit cleaner and comes with thicker profile.

https://www.ebay.com/str/4playracingusa

2 Likes

Here’s a review that discredits boosted media’s perspective at the 8:00min mark, specifically on the topic of motion platforms. Its rough out there.

2 Likes

I had bad expirence with this company - they send me wrong accessory plus long shipment process…

1 Like

For me iRacing is still the best racing game in VR, especially with the 8kx. Its clean, the Antialiasing works, the frame rates are high.
I have a 5800X, 3080Ti and 32GB RAM and it runs with 90fps at high settings and normal field of view.

AMS2 is nice too, but it needs parallel projection and eats too much ressources for 90fps and high settings or normal FOV
ACC and rFactor2 I havent tried on the 8kx and the 3080ti, its just experience from the past(Reverb/2070S) that they suck in VR (no offence, just my experience, I need 90 FPS/Hz) and didnt try again.

3 Likes

Rule one never read the comments - wreck it Ralph

2 Likes

Just FYI you might want to try both RF2 and ACC again. RF2 has very good performance in VR, comparable with iracing, you just need to make sure the settings are ok (theres a couple specific settings like circuit detail and opponent detail which if left on max will tank FPS due to CPU thread limits and lowering these to “High” makes almost no visual difference but saves a tonne of ram and CPU time). ACC is a performance hog but it can run at 90fps again with the right settings.

2 Likes

RF2 was OK in single player in VR, but was absolutely unplayable in Mulitplayer. The reason why I didnt try it again is that it unfortunately still is horrible to set up, also with the new UI. I love it for some cars and track though, so no question I´ll play it again some day when I have the inner calm and the wish to smash some F1 laps into Monaco

1 Like

@Dibbler That’s fair enough, I agree the UI is rubbish on RF2 (even the new one) but luckily it can largely be bypassed if youre part of a league such as https://simracing-gp.net/ . VR performance in multiplayer is fine though if it’s setup right. Bear in mind you need to be running official content to make a fair assessment and ideally premium content (as noted on steam workshop). Old mod content can still run DX9 rather than DX11 so the performance on those is pretty bad like raceroom.

League based multiplayer is very good fun imo which is my preferred way of racing multiplayer as you get to know the community you race with which makes for some fun races and usually means people have a lot of respect for each other on track.

If league racing isn’t your thing the in built beta competition system is ok but nothing amazing and iracing is far better at that sort of thing. RF2 is no good for joining random servers on the server list either like you can with some other games. Like all sims, it’s got its niche within a niche and does it well. Other games do better at other things. Horses for courses and it’s good we have so much choice and variation in racing Sims these days. Better still that most of them have pretty good VR support.

1 Like