Everything Sim Racing!

Funny you should mention it - this is pretty much exactly my plan !

I had backed the FeelThree rig - well, let’s leave that aside for a moment… or eternity.
When the Yaw 2 KS campaign appeared, I was lured back into backing such a rig.

In order to have a proper setup here, I also decided it’s about time to put my G25 (!) out of services and pre-ordered the CSL DD and a rim, and Clubsport V3 pedals. The pedals are here, the other stuff is supposed to trickle in during Autumn.

Given the possible brute force of the DD wheel, I will likely upgrade the Yaw 2 to the optional sturdy aluminium frame they announced - although it looks less refined in terms of design, but function should beat form, I suppose.

Well, and then next to the racing use case, I am looking at flight sims.

To that end I have purchased a neat Fulcrum yoke, a Honeycomb Bravo Quadrant and have the Saitek Combat Rudder pedals; and for Elite and (some day) DCS I still have the Warthog HOTAS.

So a lot of hardware around here which is just waiting for the Yaw 2 (here’s hoping that swapping the different setups will not end up being a nightmare).

Looking at their updates, still being in the thick of the refinement of their design, I am seriously considering to ask them to reschedule any delivery to me (I’m backer no.26) to the 3rd or 4th wave rather than being one of the first, because it seems almost inevitable that the first units will show a number of issues being the result of a rushed finalization of development & production.
Jury’s still out on this one - will wait for the Flight Sim Expo at the end of September and carefully read the reports. The issue is, once the rig is here I will have to perform all repairs and fixes myself - and that’s not good because my technical capabilities are pretty limited.

4 Likes

Oh really, is there any bad performance hit?

1 Like

Awesome thanks, how if the distance clarity. That one area the 8kX can still improve. Did you updated the 8kX to 90hz?

1 Like

Yeah, the new Fanatec csl DD does look god for the price they want to introduce it. I have yet to do the update on my 8kx, still running at 75hz. Id go full large view, I dont sense the distortion so much like in my XR

1 Like

This is great info and more than I expected. I haven’t been satisfied with the distance of objects on the 8kx. The sharpening option sounds like a interesting option to improve distance clarity.

1 Like

Tbh not sure. But there are a couple topics of folks using it.

1 Like

Is there a link I can read

I did update to 90hz, and the distance clarity is very god after I installed Sol and Custom Shaders Patch. You should also look in to this photorealistic mod: The Snake | RaceDepartment

1 Like

I am curious how adding mods will impact the video ram utilization. Unlike many here, I dont have the 3090 with 24GB. I do have the 6900xt with 16GB and the 3080 TI with 12GB

Here is one

https://community.openmr.ai/t/there-is-one-setting-i-wanna-see-in-pitool-which-every-good-monitor-already-has/34412/29?u=heliosurge

2 Likes

You are so dependable :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Exciting to hear rf2 is looking good in VR. I miss the ffb and tire model time to revisit

3 Likes

Anyone owns the Yaw 1 VR that can comment on it? Clearly the Yaw 2 seems better but is not out yet

2 Likes

@vrgamerdude has used it in many of his youtube broadcasts. He can likely give some quality feedback.

3 Likes

OK, I don’t follow his channel, is kind of hard to stomach for me at least. Nice guy but his format and lack of structure lose me. But I’ll check them out

1 Like

Can you tell me more about VRtoolkit ? I’ve never used it. Is it worth to instal it? My ACC setup with AA off and high SS is very sharp and runs 90 fps @all tracks but always checking if there is something to improve.

1 Like

@Yata_PL yeah for me it really improves ACC. It just helps bring a bit of extra definition. I use the VRtooklit for all racing Sims.

In a nutshell it lets you configure a sharpening filter using either filmic sharpening or AMD CAS. It also lets you run LUTs as well for colour correction and extra anti alias. The filters can be adjusted to run in an area within the FOV and you can set it to whatever size you want to balance performance VS visual gain. It doesn’t use much performance though I find, especially if only using sharpening. Try it and see what you think. For me it makes racing Sims really look great in VR and it would probably help in flight Sims like DCS for spotting but I’ve yet to try it for that.

2 Likes

WOW…OK… So what is it about my channel exactly and my Format / Structure is it that you can’t stomach? Please realize that unlike many other channels I don’t have the luxury of doing this full time so I upload and stream when I can!!! Still happy to help ya with any Yaw or Pimax questions but damn… that was definitely not something I liked reading! []-/

1 Like

Nothing personal. I’m sure your videos have a target audience. The videos are too long for my taste. I rather watch targeted objective videos on very specific subjects and in short format, like reviews.

Regarding the chair, I have been watching some reviews, seem the software is not great, and needs a counter balance. I think that would depend on the weight of the user from what I am seeing. The Linus Tech tips review didn’t look favorable

1 Like

This review doesn’t recommend it for sim racing