DMAS audio review

jepp, but at the speakercable makes no sense

I installed the Dmas, nothing comes out. What sound option is the right one as the sound panel?

1 Like

For me, its simply called ā€œUSB Audio Deviceā€.

I dont even get that option

Your not getting a device called usb audio?

Nope. I will test it later, i have been quite busy recently

1 Like

Try again to solve the problem with the whistling or beeping.

1 Like

Brief feedback

The beeping or whistling is eliminated!

but:

The SoundBlaster 3G is not good.

It is very quiet and makes about 65% volume.

Also very big.

I donā€™t recommend it.

The little SoundBlaster is good. It makes a good sound and also has a bass reinforcement. Loud enough too. However, it seems to me that the speakers canā€™t do it.

Iā€™ll get another sound blaster tomorrow.

Maybe heā€™s better.

I will test and give feedback.

4 Likes

You sure are using alot of cash on trying to solve a problem that is essentially a hardware defect in your 8KX HMD. :partying_face: Kudos for trying though. (save the money for an upgrade / replacement though) :wink:

7 Likes

I already had the G3 but itā€™s good to know the smaller one is louder. Itā€™s only Ā£25, and my G3 was being used elsewhere as an optical in, so Iā€™ll grab a Play 4 to free it back up.

1 Like

its cool and all but now iā€™m trading hand or eyetracking for buzzless audio.

I suppose I could try plugging the dmas into my woojer vest.

I might try this instead the latency of aptx is very good

1Mii Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver for TV to Wireless Headphones, Dual Link AptX Low Latency with HD Audio, Aux Bluetooth Audio Receiver Adapter for Home Stereo / Car, Plug n Play : Amazon.ca: Electronics

2 Likes

Ok, new feedback The little SoundBlaster is also causing some problems.

As soon as it gets too loud ā€¦ as with BeatSaber, switch the sound off to 100%.

The SoundBlaster can then no longer be found as a USB device.

Annoying

now Iā€™ve reconnected the headphones to the Pimax 8KX. and it beeps hideously.

Is my 8KX defective or do you have this problem?

Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2

xD

1 Like

Not really a solution, the idea is to be an open-back off-ear design, that doesnā€™t need charging with zero input lag. Bluetooth audio and Windows machines have never played as nicely as they do with other devices (especially if you try to use for voice calls simultaneously - eg discord while in VR), and repeatedly changing the devices youā€™re paired to is PITA.

Sarcasm is not your forte? xD

2 Likes

Is the ringing the same with these sound cards as with the audio directly from the Pimax? I imagine these little sound cards are a DAC with a headphone amp, that is to say they take a digital signal and convert to an analog signal then amplify for headphones.

If the noise is the same on these sound cards a 1.7khz ring, then it sounds like maybe there is a power supply issue on the headset. Pimax knows the design so they should be able to fix it better than anyone else.

Has anyone contacted Pimax about this? The fact they fixed the problem for newer headsets may indicate they know there was an issue and they quietly fixed it. Or they are clueless and we just got a bad batch of headsets. We all need to contact Pimax so they realize it is a design issue and not a computer setup issue. I doubt they will ever admit to an issue cause they wouldnā€™t want to replace or fix so many headsets. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

At this point Iā€™m going back to my SMAS and selling the DMAS on ebay.

P.S. Donā€™t overtighten the screws on the DMAS. I was trying to make them tight to reduce the ring and stripped one of the screws. It was quite the challenge to get it back out stripped.

2 Likes

I was a very late adopter, my 8KX is maybe 5 months old, ordered new, directly from Pimax, and not only do I have the subtle ringing static sound you all are describing but if I donā€™t bypass the HMD audio altogether with a 20 ft 3.5mm audio cable to my motherboard audio solution (Realtek) then there is also random, frequent, periodic ā€œchoppingā€ noise.

I have no idea how they screwed up the audio this bad in the Pimax but frankly itā€™s unacceptable and I given this experience and the fact that they canā€™t even produce speaker arms that can vary their distance to the ears (we are talking about middle school engineering and a $5 plastic hinge) leaves me incredibly skeptical that the 12k will ever see the light of day.

Foveated rendering with eye tracking with partnership with Tobi? Ok first you need to establish proof of concept with your pre-existing Droolon eye tracking modules that STILL do not work correctly after being released 2 years ago.

4 Likes

We would need to do more sampling. As there are some with this sound issue and some do not.

So it is best to compare Motherboards(for usb controllers) and power supply models. Builders in my xp usually stick with certain brands for mobos and psu.

I am still partial to noise on the 5v rail. If I get time will recheck my DMAS as do not recall any noise on quiet.

Not to rule out maybe a bad component in tge hmd.

I can rule out that this problem comes with the whistling or beeping from the PC.

Because Iā€™ve already tested the Pimax 8KX on other PCs.

Also on two laptops.

the problem is still there.

so I think itā€™s because of the Pimax 8KX.

I suspect there is a production bugā€¦

At KDMAS it is not noticeable. But with DMAS it is very noticeable and uncomfortable.

It is very annoying and ruins the gaming experience.

2 Likes

If Pimax wants to blame motherboards for the noise this is bad practice. Assume the 5V rail is noisy, super noisy. Make your design so it can filter out the noise. You either get your design right and confront the issue head on or you set yourself up for a lot of support issues down the road.

Looking at possible filter designs that could filter the 5V rail, I looked at a simple LC filter where you have a series inductor with a capacitor to ground. The inductor has to be small enough to fit in the headset and capable of running a couple amps. Interestingly the best low pass filter (cuts out high frequency noise) using this simple setup, while keeping the parts reasonably small was around 2 kHz to 5 kHz. Iā€™d really have to beef up the size of the inductors and/or caps to get any lower frequency. The opamps they are using should have some pretty good power supply isolation so who knows what is causing the noise. Pimax is the most qualified to fix the issue since they know their design. Maybe it is a bad batch or parts or something. If that is the case, they need to improve their manufacturing testing procedures. If it is a design issue, they need to improve their design verification testing.

I have several USB audio devices that are dead quiet on these same USB ports so it can be done. My RME babyface is dead quiet as I sit here. No noise at all. Same motherboard, same USB port, all powered by USB.

1 Like