DMAS audio review

Pimax built a mess there.

Probably this has never been tested properly.

now we have the trouble.

it’s terrible.

1 Like

thats why I didnt get an 8k x TILL THIS DAY and did choose the Aero instead !

I freaking love pimax ( got the xr myself ) but they need still alot of time to deliver an allround product that doesnt have major flaws .

1 Like

I got DMAS too. At beginning I had problems after switching to it; the sound was too low. After 3 restarts my DMAS suddenly was loud enough. Not a biggie, just to note for others.

With silence as input, there is constant noise. That is bad. With other sounds on (gaming, music), I can not hear that noise.

I 3d printed KDMAS cups even before I got DMAS. I have some soft spare ear pads too. With them is much much better, except for putting my HMD on. Putting it on is now my biggest pita :frowning: . I do have wide head, but I still do not understand how other guys are using KDMAS without bending mechanism like vive deluxe audio strap. I really miss that click-click from vive das.

DMAS sound is good. I was playing yesterday with it, and I heard more sounds from plane engine then with vive das. I like it.
But… That good sound is only with cups and some pressure to my ears. The basic off ear design lets too much sounds dissapear in room. Also “off ear” will disturb other people around you.

I will test it more, I still do not know what to use, that pimax DMAS changed to KDMAS, or more convinient Vive DAS.

3 Likes

adding my serial as one with the high pitched noise present:
20750023501XXX

any serials from people without the whine?

2 Likes

ferrite cores have no effect, and the ground loop isolators I got reduce volume too much to be useful…

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. That’s unfortunate. I had hoped your investigation would determine a fix (for everyone).

2 Likes

There are already some youtube videos on dmas whine and built quality issue popping up.

4 Likes

That is no surprise. Early it may have seemed not many would have it. But sample size was very small. And now folks will be looking for it. So some whom might not have noticed it will find it. Once heard will be difficult not to if is present.

Just curious if it is more the hmd vs setup. It will be interesting to hear from more testers to see if they had or have noticed this during testing or not.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering that too. I’m beginning to think it’s the hmd (since ferrite cores didn’t help). I think I got a particularly good unit. No hum, 90 Hz on a 2080. My 8KX order was one of the latter ones, so it could be better than the early units.

2 Likes

when i get mine,i will post my impressions

2 Likes

When I heard it… it was certainly noticable! I’ve disconnected and reconnected a handful of times since and not had the issue since the brief occurrences early on… Weird.

3 Likes

Interesting indeed. Needs more research to find a cause or causes.

1 Like

My solution to the dmas shortcomings include:

zero whine & sounds great, but lots of faff to get to that point, and I was using that ext soundcard to bridge 2 machines via optical so now I need to buy another one… unless the whine is fixable via a firmware update.

2 Likes

I have found a better option for the sound card: £29 angled usb c on amazon UK

3 Likes

Update:

Ferrite filters do not help.

The iSilencer does not help either and is incompatible.

WTF

2 Likes

Are you saying you got rid of the high pitched noise by using an external usb-soundcard?

1 Like

does not help either and is incompatible.

WTF

I have now also ordered external amplifiers.

3 Likes

Yes, the noise is removed by using an external sound card from the bottom usb-c port.

3 Likes

Hmm, what did you expect from NF filters on a loudspeaker line?

Well if the problem was not present then wouldn’t need to experiment to fix something that shouldn’t be present.

2 Likes