DMAS audio review

They never done before. So I ask them and they valutate 8$ plus shipping. Now I’m waiting to receive.

It way a idea I had before receive the dmas, because I was sure the problem of sound because of distance from the ear

3 Likes

My DMAS are arriving today, if I get the high pitch whine I will try adding a ground loop isolator to see if that helps.

4 Likes

The sound is coming from both speakers. I tried connecting them to my PC via an extension cable like you proposed, and indeed the noise disappeared. That would imply the noise comes from the HMD itself or maybe some interference with the cable. But if thats the case, why do you only have the problem with one speaker? Weird…

Anyway, Pimax support agreed to send me an replacement DMAS. As soon as I get it I’ll post if that improved anything.

2 Likes

I have now ordered a couple of filters.

I want to test whether it is possible to eliminate this beeping or whistling in the audio.

I have now ordered:

• € 101.01 | IFi iSilencer + USB 3.0 Rebalanced Hifi Music Audio Active Noise Cancellation II Portable Jitter Eliminator Suppressor Adapter
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_vKmO8W

• € 4.04 16% OFF | 3.5mm Loop Noise Isolator Canceling Audio Cable Anti-interference Floor Reducer Filter Killer for Car Audio Home Stereo System
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_v5DAvg

and

I will test if it works at all.

:wink:

4 Likes

Okay, after reading through this thread I have come to the conclusion that I will not order me the DMAS upgrade, as it seems to be doubtful, if I would feel it is an upgrade over my KDMAS; or at least it would seem to play out to be a gamble.

@PimaxUSA: we had this discussion in the the other thread about Pimax marketing and what is delivered at the end of the day. See, this is exactly what I mean. If I only read the official Pimax statements about the DMAS, it would be at least as good as the Index speakers. Nevertheless the majority of reviews doesn’t see them on par with the Index speaker, and some even consider them worse than the KDMAS. It doesn’t matter to us customers, if the intentions were great, if a lot of time & money was spent in development and production; it’s not even sufficient if they actually do work fine for a minority of users. They have to work as advertized for the majority of users to be considered living up to their marketing pitch. And from my point of view Pimax has not managed to live up to its marketing pitch on the DMAS.

This is what I meant when pointing at the experience made with Pimax - I will listen to the Pimax Frontier presentation, but I will only hit an order button once I see positive reviews of the actual product from customers (or trusted professional reviewers like Ben Lang, and Youtubers to some degree).

So hey, should I go back and check my predictions on the DMAS as you were stating that 0% of my predictions turned out to be correct? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

No, I wont start digging, because I am actually trying to get Pimax to improve, not make this a personal battle for my win & your loss.

So all I am asking is: don’t over-promise on Monday, make a realistic pitch. Please.

It will be difficult, coming on the back of the infamous “several generations ahead” statement (not a wise choice, tbh - the responses I saw were pretty united in mocking Pimax for it). But it’s not too late.

Think of it this way: as a bonus you would win this round and prove me wrong if Pimax manage to get a 100% fulfillment quota on the Monday pitch.

More seriously, you will be helping Pimax avoid a lot of heat in the coming 1-2 years if your team keeps its cool on Monday and doesn’t get carried away. Lock away the eager & proud engineers, even better, let your lawyer approve your markerting pitch first !

At the end, if the products are that good, they will sell anyway. There is no real gain in over-aggressive (or enthusiast) marketing, certainly not on the long run.

Anyway, good luck with the presentation.

8 Likes

FWIW, I like my DMAS. The open-ear design is cooler (temperature-wise) than the headphones I was previously using. The bass is weak, but I was able to crank that up (in software). I don’t have hum or whine, but I consider myself lucky. Far too many people are having DMAS issues. I even had issues initially (too quiet) and the lack of an instruction sheet made it difficult to install and troubleshoot.

Pimax clearly has a problem with consistency and also seems to have QA issues. For all we know, the problem might be related to the headset and not the DMAS itself.

5 Likes

I like the DMAS too, for the same main reason. Really don’t like wearing headphones in VR. It’s hot, and one more layer of friction to get in and use it.

It’s too bad I have the hum/whine/ high frequency sound Maybe I should request a replacement.

May I ask what software you landed on to boost the bass?

2 Likes

I use VoiceMeeter Banana. It’s overkill, but I already had it installed. It also allows me to have different configurations for my regular headphones and my 8KX DMAS. The main reason I use Banana is because I am partially deaf in one ear and I can apply boosted equalization settings for that ear. It’s free to use (donation-ware), but I’ve paid for mine.

3 Likes

you also may try apo equalizer

4 Likes

Looking for the beeps or whistles.

I’ve done a couple of experiments now.

I connected the DMAS directly to the PC. And there was silence. No whistling … no beeping. The problem was gone!

Then again connected to the Pimax 8KX.

I changed the Pimax cable. Original cable and 6 meters of fiber optic cable.

I tested it on two laptops and three PCs. Tested with both cables.

I come to the decision that this whistling or beeping comes from the Pimax 8KX.

It can only be due to the Pimax.

Because only when the audio cable of the headphones is connected to the Pimax 8KX … it beeps or whistles.

It’s cruel … like tinnitus.

7 Likes

It may be worth comparing serial numbers of those with & without the high pitched noise to see if it is older/newer made headsets that experience the issue (assuming they are sequential) - I’ll caveat that with saying that nobody should disclose their full serial number , possibly mask the last 3 figures with ZZZ or something. Haven’t fitted mine yet, fingers crossed…

4 Likes

I don’t have the DMAS but could it be that the noises you people are hearing is actually feedback from the noise getting picked up by the microphone because now it’s an open speaker configuration the noise leakage will be a lot more then with the SMAS or KDMAS
And I know you hear it when there is no sound playing but feedback is what you get when the mic is close to the speakers just sharing some thoughts not an expert on hmd audio solutions

1 Like

I have the nasty high pitch whine. It’s constant but not so noticeable when there’s game audio. FYI the audio quality is better than expected once the EQ is tweaked using software like Equalizer APO. It’s not ‘audiophile’ and the freq response isn’t great at the low end but it’s crisp and clear, and the soundstage is good.

I couldn’t find the ground loop isolator that is somewhere in this house so have ordered 2 more, as well as some ferrite cores. If that doesn’t fix then I’d be interested in whether the IFi silencer has an effect. Very keen to hear how you get on @Timo.H1

5 Likes

The Deluxe Modular Audio Strap should be way better than valve index speakers !
Looks like far from it :frowning: I am very disappointed Pimax !

It really aint that hard making a good sounding over ear audio system …like for real… 🙆

Is it possible btw to unscrew the valve index speakers and mod them somehow on an 8k X ?

1 Like

Given the mods that people come up with, i imagine it could be doable, but if @Timo.H1 is right and the headset is the culprit then the noise could still be there.

2 Likes

I’ve tested the dmas with razer surround 7.1 software, it sounded really good and the surround, but I guess there not much use in VR as in vr you already have spatial sound.

Sound quality is good, but I think the whine has something to do with 8kx, which is probably going to be unsolvable. I sort of forget about the whine in about 5mins, brain is a wonderful thing that does all the magic stuff, but it’s still felt like a rushed product not discover this issue prior to mass production.

I have ordered different filters to maybe solve the problem.

These things are delivered on Monday. I will report!

4 Likes

I went from the DMAS back to the SMAS and am now realizing I’ve had the 1.7kHz ring the entire time. You have to put your ear right up to the SMAS to hear it. I haven’t heard it this whole time since the SMAS is positioned so far away. The DMAS is just exposing the ringing issue there all along.

I do have one of the earlier 8k X headsets. Maybe they discovered the ringing and they fixed the issue for later models. My 8k X headset is 20750023301XXX. Placing X for the last 3 digits. The fact that it is a near pure 1.7kHz tone is telling. Most grounding noise issues or cable issues would be a little more random than that. Timo.H1’s tone he posted was 1.7kHz.

2 Likes

I got the same tone with my KDMAS installed. My serial is slightly later:20750023302XXX. I reinstalled SMAS again, but I prefer using bluetooth in-ear headphones as a fix. I doubt my 8KX would pass FCC or European electric interference certifications…

I also get the tone when i install SMAS, I just never realized it. I also checked my headphones and a Vive DAS I have at home and there was no noise! It’s really funny, every audio device works except those from Pimax! Anyway my serial is:20750023602XXX

I messed a bit around with the DMAS and found that if I only plug the right side speaker into the headset, the sound quality drops drastically, but the annoying sound is gone. As soon as I plug in the left speaker too, the sound goes back to its normal quality, but the noise promptly appears on both speakers. If I only plug in the left speaker, sound quality stays normal but the noise is there too.
Anyone have any idea what is happening here?

1 Like