DMAS audio review

I returned two base stations to Pimax with no issues a year ago. I wonder what’s going on now? Life and Pimax remain mysteries to me.

2 Likes

Hello Plews,

Could you please check the PM, as I do require some information from you to address this.

2 Likes

I finally found the postcode by googling your company… 3 weeks of back and forth and it’s all because support wants the customer to get a delivery quote from an address that you already had, by giving me an address WITHOUT the postcode, in a different language, in an unrecognisable script.

Great work.

1 Like

iirc they moved the RMA functions back to Shanghai after Crackgate. Before that my RMA took 10 days through the NA depot.

1 Like

From what I have observed between the different platforms there still at times using some closer points to ship RMA and exchange units. So is still possible for them to use a potentially closer ship location.

Either way they need to fix this well before the 12kR even comes close to real demos & definitely long before release.

Like how do they expect people to buy controllers Index or Sword? If there going to have issues with honoring warranties?

2 Likes

Yup pretty much exactly what I am experiencing.

I already had to go through 2 weeks of back & forth just to have them rma the DMAS to no avail.

I’m giving up because frankly I just don’t have time to deal with what you have been going through to get the HMD replaced.

The only solution might be to refund the DMAS.

1 Like

Yesterday I was sent some experimental firmware for the 8KX that R&D have been working on to fix the high pitched whine. All it does is turn the speakers off when there is no audio fed to them (which does eliminate the whine mostly when there is silence), but there’s a delay to this and you end up with any sound fluctuating and crackling a tone, making any audio, whether it’s dialogue, music, game sounds, sound completely messed up - bringing the whine back in when there is sound anyway, it’s even worse than just a constant high pitched whine!

On 25th March I finally received this from support:

"The application is approved by supervisor.

After our logistics reply me your return instructions,I’ll send you here immediately."

and after a very unnecessary back & forth I received this on 7th April:

“For your convenience,we re-submitted the return label plan.
If it’s approved by our supervisor,we can create a return later for you and please return your 8KX back to Amazon in UK warehouse.”

I’m still waiting, and in the meantime I am being sent broken firmware to fix a hardware problem.

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra At what point is it ok for me to break down into angry shouting to get this ******* problem sorted by your ****** support function to send my faulty headset back and have a working one returned to me? My ticket number is 20621, it was opened on 15th NOVEMBER.

2 Likes

Hello,

First and foremost, I’m sincerely apologize on behalf of our support team.

Please allow me to take a look at the conversation history, and have a discussion with the supervisor to arrange an immediate shipment for you.

Regards.

1 Like

21 posts were split to a new topic: VR Controller Discussion

This… exactly this (the BOLD Underlined) part makes me extremely hesitant to purchase a 12K when it releases.
I’ve had the same experience with support, considering the warrenty for Pimax products is 12 months this is very close to halving your warrenty.
Why has this allmost become the standard for support when hardware is defective ? @PimaxQuorra

5 Likes

Unless you are very excited about spreading the (enormous) resolution over >200 degrees of FoV, I am not sure why you would be keen to purchase the 12K when it releases. I just don‘t feel it manages to hit the sweet spot of balancing out extensive FoV and preservation of detail (i.e. pixel per inch) in the main focus area in the middle. I fear they have decided to go with maximum FoV and it will show in a softer, less detailed picture where it counts the most for me. There won‘t be many games or apps where I will value anything beyond 150 degrees of FoV.

But for special purpose applications this might still be a great headset, e.g. driving school training applications, immersive experiences like conscious existence etc… For me it will be too expensive to justify a purchase for a few remote use cases - at heart I am a PC VR gamer.

3 Likes

I disagree strongly. Maximum FOV is absolutely meaningful for PC VR gaming.

• Immersion factor: The more of your full vision is inside VR, the more immersed you will be in the virtual environment. The 12K stands to cover your entire vision to the point where you may not really see the edges of the headset at all. That’s a big deal from an immersion perspective.

• Utility: Having a wider FOV than other players is a whopping advantage in shooters and many other kinds of VR games. In playing multiplayer VR games on the 8KX, I am obviously advantaged over my friends who are pretty much all using Indexes in terms of spotting flanking enemies and just spotting things in general. My vision is just plain larger, and it changes and enhances the role I play on the team. It actually gets referred to as “Pimax spots” when I spot stuff early that my friends couldn’t see because of my wide FOV with the 8KX. I can’t emphasize enough how much of an advantage this gives.

2 Likes

It adds to the immersion, of course - I am not going to dispute that. My point is that at this stage I don‘t like the proposed trade-off: increase the FoV to the max at the cost of higher resolution per degree. If we had i) the displays (16K) to give us retina resolution over >200 degrees and ii) the GPUs to power that, I would be a happy bunny.

But we don‘t have neither of the two. Not even close. And at this stage I prefer focusing the resources (resolution, GPU capacity) where I get the most out of them. Which for me is the center 150 degrees. I hardly notice it when I switch to large on my 8KX so I usually don‘t make use of those 20 extra degrees. And honestly, on 70% of the games I don‘t really miss the Pimax FoV so much when using the G2.
In terms of picture quality, the 12K will offer approx. 28 PPD while the Aero e.g. already offers 35. But that is only half of the story: the Aero needs 7.8 mln. pixels to be rendered while the 12K needs 15.3 mln., almost twice as many pixels. So expect to drastically reduce many ingame settings for this kind of usage.

Bottomline for me is that the additional 50 degrees over the 8KX the 12K would be providing cannot get me excited. Not as long as my GPU to drive the beast will only be a 4090, 5090 or 6090.

You could say the 12K will be ahead of its time. Problem is, by the time the GPUs have caught up, I expect vastly superior headsets to be available.

3 Likes

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience sir.
Please allows me to check your ticket with our support.

I think they should offer some alternative options rather than DMAS refund.

2 Likes

Hello,

This shouldn’t be the standard for support.

I will report this to the higher table as the response and action should be improved.

It might be relate to the slow respond time and back & forth troubleshooting session.

2 Likes

I long ago gave up on any audio solutions from Pimax on the 8K X. SMAS is absolutely awful. There’s nothing that can fix that. DMAS is actually decent, except the audio whine is too much of an issue for me and it severely hampers my immersion. I tried VR Ears on my Pimax before, but for some reason the coiled cable that came with the VR Ears just doesn’t work. Either only one side of the audio works or there is some severe buzzing sound. I finally got fed up with using wireless earbuds and tried the VR Ears again, but this time with the non coiled cable and somehow that works. If I wiggle the end of the cable plugged into the Pimax audio cuts out, but if I leave it alone it sounds fine. I had to remove the cable rail on the left side to mount the VR Ears. There are just three screws holding it on so it’s not hard to remove.

And that’s without even mentioning that the microphone on the 8K X is also absolutely atrocious without major tweaking in software. It’s a real shame that I can really only recommend a Pimax to people with the stipulation that they WILL have to find their own solutions for the garbage built in speakers/microphone.

1 Like

I received my DMAS in November but didn’t have time to install those then. In March I arrived back home and immediately noticed the annoying whine. Otherwise I think the DMAS is fine. As many have said it would be better if it was possible to have the drivers closer to ears. I made a ticket complaining about the whine. I received first answer from support. They suggested me to try KDMAS and they would have been willing to send one set of KDMAS to me immediately. I rejected that offer since I would prefer to have a working DMAS solution.

Like many others I am at a point where I am becoming more interested in other headset with less problems like this.

3 Likes

Thanks PimaxQuorra. As many have already mentioned here, I think the only solution is to replace the 8KX.

Again after a long wait, this is the answer from support:

“As you know, your 8kx is out of the warrany of one year, so we are afraid that we cannot give you a service in warranty. And according to the testing of our tech group, there is no problem with your 8kx since you can use your kdmas earphones successfully with it. But for the dams earphones, which is in warranty, we can give you a refind if you like. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. We are always here to help you.”

The after-sale support is a BIG joke! I bought the 8KX as a DMAS version, that’s what it says on the invoice. For me this is one piece. I didn’t get the DMAS until October 2021 and only then I was able to test the 8KX with the DMAS. It looks to me that the 8KX was already delivered defective. And at least in connection with the DMAS, the guarantee should only start with the delivery of the DMAS. I think a lot of people here will agree with me on that.
I’m pretty upset and desperate right now. Even if you’re an early supporter, you’re treated like that here. You pay a lot of money, wait a long time for the promised goods and when it finally arrives and something is wrong with the goods, you are literally left alone.

That is bad way of solving things from Pimax side. Unacceptable. I am at same boat, apparently I wait untill they “reopen” Marseilles repair site (for EU). I keep my mouth shut untill I get direct answer about my DMAS+8kx issue.

1 Like